Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,389 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by TCTTS
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Crazy to think that if you count only live-action...could it actually be Din Djarin at this point?
Actually, looks like someone has done this analysis but I question it....

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-characters-most-screentime/

1. They are counting Anakin/Vader as the same person. I don't think that should count but that's just my opinion.
2. They show anime Anakin in their pic for him so they may be counting animation for him but not others? Don't know.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, Luke with only 4 more minutes than Rey even with a whole extra movie under his belt.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Does Han get credit for the minutes he's frozen in carbonite?
twilly
AG
A picture of a certain building has been leaked from the Obi-Wan set. Click the link to find out.

Leaked photo

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

The only thing I worry about at this point is expectations.
With this franchise, that is always the critical thing. Personally I think The Phantom Menace is a good movie and a good starting point for the entire Skywalker story, but there were 16 years of pent-up expectation after ROTJ. TPM was bound to be much-hated for simply not meeting all the outlandish expectations SW fans had for it.

For Obi-Wan, I'm in agreement that the series has a lot of potential but also a lot to live up to, but with EM back as Obi-Wan, I have no doubt that if the series fails, it will not be on him.
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
Sorry, but an intro scroll with Trade Disputes was not a good start for the prequels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not nearly as bad as "The dead speak!".
redline248
AG
I would rather watch as the motion gets buried in a sea of bureaucracy than whatever the f-ck was going on in that final sequel movie.
Saxsoon
AG
I sometimes feel like the only person who doesn't hate any Star Wars movie and that they all brought me joy. Including Solo, TLJ, and Rise. And I also weirdly love trade politics.

**** me
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Saxsoon said:

I sometimes feel like the only person who doesn't hate any Star Wars movie and that they all brought me joy. Including Solo, TLJ, and Rise. And I also weirdly love trade politics.

**** me
You're not. It just feels this way here because some people need to voice over and over and over and over and over that they didn't like a movie.

Saxsoon
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Having watched TROS a grand total of twice now, I can say that it was much easier to digest the second time around, for me.

The parts that I loved I still really love. Leia's sacrifice still gets me. The Kylo vs Rey fight in the water is dope as hell. And Kylo's redemption, albeit kind of quick and short-lived, is still good. (The kiss is still super awkward though.)

But man, I just can't get onboard with Palpatine's return out of nowhere, and the forced connection to Rey. (No pun intended.) Not to mention the stupidity of his defeat. (Just STOP force lightning yourself. I mean really?)

And having read the Trevorrow script, I do wish we'd seen Coruscant. This was the capital of the galaxy and the most important setting of the prequels, and it would've been nice to see SOME acknowledgement of the PT in the final movie. Hell, even ROTJ showed us a bit of Coruscant at the end.

And for whatever reason, all the ships showing up at the end still doesn't quite hit for me, emotionally. A moment that big/important should have made a bigger impact, but it just didn't. I think it's because it didn't feel earned, like the portals moment in Endgame.

Alas.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

And I also weirdly love trade politics.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

(Just STOP force lightning yourself. I mean really?)

powerbelly
AG
Saxsoon said:

**** me
I enjoyed seeing the politics of the republic. It was an interesting backdrop for the clone wars.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I've been re-reading Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy recent and saw something I hadn't noticed before that maybe is a tip of the cap to Zahn in Rogue One.

Stardust, the name of the file that Galen Erso leaves for Jyn with the plans to the Death Star and which is also his nickname for her is also the name of a plan that the New Republic uses to try to find the cloaked asteroids that Thrawn dispatches in orbit over Coruscant early in The Last Command.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Now I'm on an Obi-Wan art deep dive. This day is not going well for work.

and this is pretty awesome too.

Claude!
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Maybe it's like peeing; once you start, you've got to see it through.
israeliag
AG
Saxsoon said:

**** me

Solo is legitimately great.

I'm a huge fan of TLJ, and more days than not place it as my favorite of the Stars Wars.

TROS has some really nice moments, definitely.

But yeah, the hate is ironically strong for a fan base of a franchise that harps on the dangers of hate.
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
israeliag said:

Saxsoon said:

**** me

I'm a huge fan of TLJ, and more days than not place it as my favorite of the Stars Wars.

But yeah, the hate is ironically strong for a fan base of a franchise that harps on the dangers of hate.
Guys, lighten up. You can love something and still make fun of it at every opportunity. (Quote from my wife)

"I also weirdly love trade politics." - It's called a fetish. Accept it and move on. I'm sure there's a sub-reddit for it where you can find like-minded perverts, uh I mean, souls.
Saxsoon
AG
TrustTheAwesomeness said:

israeliag said:

Saxsoon said:

**** me

Guys, lighten up. You can love something and still make fun of it at every opportunity. (Quote from my wife)

"I also weirdly love trade politics." - It's called a fetish. Accept it and move on. I'm sure there's a sub-reddit for it where you can find like-minded perverts, uh I mean, souls.
Don't kink shame
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not seeing the relation between that moment and what I said.
israeliag
AG

israeliag said:

Saxsoon said:

**** me

Why you half witted, scruffy necked, yum yucker.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Yoda was absorbing Sheev's Force lightning just like he did vs Dooku. Then Yoda started redirecting it toward Sheev. If Sheev had turned off the flux capacitator and stopped generating the lightning, it wouldn't have bounced back on him and knocked the piss out of him. He didn't learn from his mistake there and repeated it in TROS.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yoda was absorbing it and it wasn't redirecting into Sheev's face.

The better analogy is when Mace redirects it into him just like Rey does.

Anakin didn't help him so he had the good sense to stop.

It's dumb that he thinks he can somehow go through a lightsaber when it clearly didn't work before. And he just keeps going until he destroys himself.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Well, on most other days I'd be willing to get into a sprawling 3 hour debate with you on the play by play of the Yoda/Sidious fight at the Senate, but since I also have to will the Astros to a victory in their matinee vs. the Mariners while writing a book about how to ace your first year of college (which I definitely did not do), we'll just have to agree to disagree on what's going on in the fight.
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yoda was absorbing it and it wasn't redirecting into Sheev's face.

The better analogy is when Mace redirects it into him just like Rey does.

Anakin didn't help him so he had the good sense to stop.

It's dumb that he thinks he can somehow go through a lightsaber when it clearly didn't work before. And he just keeps going until he destroys himself.
I think it's just piss poor writing on the part of TROS myself
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You can pick apart any of the movies if you want to. In the Empire Strikes Back, why does the Rebel fleet have to fly straight into the Imperial fleet when they're fleeing Hoth? Why don't they fly through the atmosphere to the other side of the planet and escape that way?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

You can pick apart any of the movies if you want to. In the Empire Strikes Back, why does the Rebel fleet have to fly straight into the Imperial fleet when they're fleeing Hoth? Why don't they fly through the atmosphere to the other side of the planet and escape that way?

TIE fighters would hunt them down; by using ion cannons to disable the ships in space before takeoff you prevent TIEs from launching and capitals from firing back?
YouBet
AG

israeliag said:

Saxsoon said:

**** me

I assume you know what your wife is referring to?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The new Star Wars comic Darth Vader #11 is all over the place but does have this very cool Vader vision of an alternate reality of what comes to pass.

TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
YouBet said:

I assume you know what your wife is referring to?
One example, every time I mention the Star Wars Minute podcast, I get an eye-roll at least.

She does know who Pol Treidum is though!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I realize I'm guilty of this at times, but you don't have to goaltend any and all criticism of all Star Wars movies.

For how the ultimate villain of the saga was finally defeated once and for all, by the hero who has been built up for an entire trilogy, it was super lame.

It should have been a better and even more cathartic moment than Anakin throwing him down the shaft. Can you honestly say it was?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I don't goal tend everything. I firmly believe the Anakin-Obiwan duel from ROTS is the most disappointing thing of any of the movies. Attack of the Clones is by and large terrible acting in 100% blue screen sets. Anakin and Padme's scenes have less romantic chemistry then me and my 7th grade girlfriend who I dumped because she wouldn't come watch me play basketball one time. But I still will watch those movies anytime they are on TV because at the end of the day, I love Star Wars more than any other form of entertainment ever.

I completely disagree it should have been better than ROTJ. That's THE moment of the OT. Nothing else can compare to it. Everything is else is additions to the main story.

We have 180-degree different views of the sequels. I love them wire to wire, you don't. Neither one of us is going to convince the other they're wrong, and we shouldn't have to try.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Neither one of us is going to convince the other they're wrong, and we shouldn't have to try.
That was pretty much my point. Any time anyone criticizes, you defend it.

It's textbook goaltending.
First Page Last Page
Page 1027 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.