Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,406 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
If this wasn't made *by* Spilner, it was 100% made *for* Spilner...

ChipFTAC01
AG
The first movie I remember seeing in the theater was Jedi when I was probably 4 1/2 with my mom and some cousins. I think I made it as far as Bib Fortuna (back in his more svelte days) and got scared so my mom and I left and went next door where they were playing the re-release of Bambi.
israeliag
AG
The shots of the city with that soundtrack is legitimately gorgeous
DustysLineup
AG
I think I had seen a re-release of Jungle Book and maybe some cartoon thingy before. But Jedi is the first 'big' movie I remember seeing or being obsessed with. Meyerland Cinema.

*looks like the Jungle Book re-release was actually later in 84. Guess there's no question which one was more significant to my childhood.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The best/worst idea for a Star Wars fan fic/Robot Chicken

Set during The Rise of Skywalker

Lando arrives on the planet where the Resistance has its base, inspired by Rey to offer his piloting services to Leia.

He gets there just a few hours after she dies, and nobody has the heart to tell him he's come too late. So one of the leaders just tells him -she's resting now.

Lando waits, then goes looking for her, finds her lying under the sheet and assumes she's asleep.

Lando starts monologuing about his unrequited love for her, and how he knows the galaxy's crazy right now, but he thinks they were destined for each other, and with Han out of the way now, nothing's stopping them.

She's so quiet, Lando assumes she's agreeing with him, he goes as far as to rub her shoulders "Damn, girl, you all tensed up!"

He hears someone approaching and scurries to hide, lest he be caught. He sees Poe Dameron enter to pray to Leia about being the new leader of the Resistance and first Lando is like, "Damn player done beat me to her!"

Then he realizes she's dead and concocts his "We did it together" speech to avoid being thought of as a weirdo.
Malachi Constant
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Lando arrives on the planet where the Resistance has its base, inspired by Rey to offer his piloting services to Leia.

He gets there just a few hours after she dies, and nobody has the heart to tell him he's come too late. So one of the leaders just tells him -she's resting now.

Lando waits, then goes looking for her, finds her lying under the sheet and assumes she's asleep.

Lando starts monologuing about his unrequited love for her, and how he knows the galaxy's crazy right now, but he thinks they were destined for each other, and with Han out of the way now, nothing's stopping them.

She's so quiet, Lando assumes she's agreeing with him, he goes as far as to rub her shoulders "Damn, girl, you all tensed up!"

He hears someone approaching and scurries to hide, lest he be caught. He sees Poe Dameron enter to pray to Leia about being the new leader of the Resistance and first Lando is like, "Damn player done beat me to her!"

Then he realizes she's dead and concocts his "We did it together" speech to avoid being thought of as a weirdo.
Saxsoon
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

I mean I guess it is 5 o clock somewhere
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
redline248
AG
Both responses to that post
kdm_01
AG
Same time frame as you. First two movies I remember seeing: Jedi and dad and Bambi with mom. And I remember the posters for Neverending Story on the walls after Bambi was over. Memory of certain details is a strange thing...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I Have Spoken said:

For some reason I associate The Land Before Time with Pizza Hut... not sure if marketing or just what we had the night my parents rented it for me.

I realize this is random, but that is how early memories work. Now, I'm starving and stuck at my son's soccer practice.

For me it's the TMNT and Pizza Hut.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

This works too damn well.
israeliag
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

This would have been sufficient.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Today's Star Wars reference in a book I'm writing came just 300 words into the text. A new FBF record!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Matt Lanter says he's returning in another Lucasfilm animated project as Anakin, but can't say what it is yet.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-the-clone-wars-matt-lanter-says-hes-not-done-1846776154
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Obi-Wan talks Obi-Wan!

I'm really excited about it," the actor said of returning. "Maybe more so than the first ones, because I'm olderI just turned 50and I'm just in a much better place."

"There's not something to dig into in the dialogue that can satisfy you when there's no environment there," McGregor recalled. "It was quite hard to do." That pioneering has come full circle, thanks to The Mandalorian's championing of virtual sets through StageCraft. "They project [the virtual backgrounds] onto this massive LED screen. So if you're in a desert, you're standing in the middle of a desert. If you're in the snow, you're surrounded by snow. And if you're in a cockpit of a starfighter, you're in space," McGregor added. "It's going to feel so much more real."

As for the show itself, McGregor stays fairly mum on what audiences can expect out of Obi-Wan's return. Aside from a brief mention of lightsaber trainingpostponed so the actor could recover from the second shot of his covid-19 vaccineMcGregor had one cheeky tease, answering a suggestion that some of his test screenings for the series could've involved a young Luke Skywalker.

"That's very possible," McGregor teased. "I don't know."

https://io9.gizmodo.com/obi-wans-ewan-mcgregor-reflects-on-returning-to-star-wa-1846779919
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Aside from a brief mention of lightsaber training
AliasMan02
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Matt Lanter says he's returning in another Lucasfilm animated project as Anakin, but can't say what it is yet.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-the-clone-wars-matt-lanter-says-hes-not-done-1846776154

Rebooting the prequels in animation.
israeliag
AG
I don't know if I could think of an actor returning to a character I'm more excited about than McGregor to Obi-Wan. Maybe Patrick Stewart to Picard recently, but with Ewan still in his prime, this seems like a higher ceiling.

Maybe if Hugh Jackman would return as Wolverine? Nah, prob not.
israeliag
AG
What if in the Kenobi series all the flashbacks to the cClone Wars was in animated form!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
israeliag said:

I don't know if I could think of an actor returning to a character I'm more excited about than McGregor to Obi-Wan. Maybe Patrick Stewart to Picard recently, but with Ewan still in his prime, this seems like a higher ceiling.

Maybe if Hugh Jackman would return as Wolverine? Nah, prob not.
Mario Lopez to A.C. Slater.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The coolest thing about this is he has naturally aged to almost the exact age he would be in canon.

TPM takes place in 32 BBY and Obi-Wan presumably takes place ~15 BBY. (So a gap of 17 years.)

It's been 22 years since Phantom Menace in real time, but you can subtract at LEAST 5 years for how well that dude ages.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The coolest thing about this is he has naturally aged to almost the exact age he would be in canon.

TPM takes place in 32 BBY and Obi-Wan presumably takes places ~15 BBY. (So a gap of 17 years.)

It's been 22 years since Phantom Menace in real time, but you can subtract at LEAST 5 years for well that dude ages.
Either the best or 2nd best of the series.

TCTTS
AG
Outside of The Force Awakens, Obi-Wan Kenobi has to be the most anticipated Star Wars content under Disney, right? Or would that have been the return of Luke in The Last Jedi (even though the final product didn't deliver in the way many hoped it would)? Obi-Wan might be kneecapped a bit since it's not on the big screen, but I have to think that the return of Ewan McGregor and Christensen-as-Vader is up there, and may even end up being the best entry of all the movies and shows so far.
Quad Dog
AG
Second season of Mando?
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Outside of The Force Awakens, Obi-Wan Kenobi has to be the most anticipated Star Wars content under Disney, right? Or would that have been the return of Luke in The Last Jedi (even though the final product didn't deliver in the way many hoped it would)? Obi-Wan might be kneecapped a bit since it's not on the big screen, but I have to think that the return of Ewan McGregor and Christensen-as-Vader is up there, and may even end up being the best entry of all the movies and shows so far.
You have to think so. I know I can't wait for this and it might be my #1 most anticipated movie/show right now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For me, it EASILY is. (And I would think for a pretty significant chunk of fans that are around my age.)

For all of the prequels' faults, everybody loved Obi-Wan. Nevermind the fact that he's been a beloved character for nearly 45 years now.

I put him up there with Luke and Han personally.
israeliag
AG
Dude, it was obviously Palpatine in ROS. (I can't even write that jokingly without throwing up a little.)

I'd imagine Luke in TLJ was bigger - he also had a movie hyping it up in TFW. Han was prob bigger, too.

But Kenobi does have the addition of the anticipation from those who grew up with the prequels. And, are they more numerous nowadays?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Ewan as Obi-Wan seems to be the universal "best of" the prequels that most people agree on, so it's a driving force of a character that has grown in popularity since the OT and Disney was conscious enough to put either a reference to or his voice(s) in TFA, Rogue One, and TROS, so once that first trailer or footage hit, it's going to off the charts.

The potential for a series that has him, Vader, Beru and Owen, a young Luke, and you would certainly think the voices or even apparitions of Qui-Gon and Yoda plus Jabba and his gang is really tantalizing. The impact it could have on the PT and the OT is almost unlimited, which is both exciting and a bit frightening to be honest.

Considering the incredible amount of material that Mando has delivered in 2 seasons - another of Yoda's species, more Mandos, live-action Ahsoka Tano, live-action Bo Katan, the return of Boba Fett and Slave I, a Krayt Dragon, a return to the Mos Eisley Cantina, the Dark Saber, the Dark Troopers, an IG-model assassin droid, and of course, post ROTJ Luke Skywalker and R2D2, it's incredible to think that Obi-Wan could outweigh all that if done correctly.

The return of all the original cast on screen was huge, from Han & Chewie in the 2nd trailer, to Luke's Force illusion in TLJ, to Yoda's return in TLJ, to the way they got Leia into TROS and a really great job of incorporating Billy Dee at his age into the last movie. In retrospect with a few years to look back, I really find my most compelling moments of the Sequel Trilogy are the ways that JJ Abrams used C3PO's voice to speak to the fans and for the fans in TFA and TROS, special stuff. Not sure how Obi-Wan will measure up to that, but I'm so excited for it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The only thing I worry about at this point is expectations.

With the return of Luke, you had two generations worth of expectations to live up to, and that obviously didn't help any.

And with something like The Mandalorian, this was a brand new character and people didn't know what to expect. So when the series ended up being that good, it was a pleasant surprise to everyone.

Now Obi-Wan has the doubly high expectations of bringing back a beloved character, plus how good the first Star Wars TV series was.
TCTTS
AG
Well said.
YouBet
AG
Between the prequels, The Clone Wars, and Star Wars, Kenobi probably has more canon screen time than any other character in the Star Wars universe. In fact, I would assume this has to be case.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Crazy to think that if you count only live-action...could it actually be Din Djarin at this point?
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Crazy to think that if you count only live-action...could it actually be Din Djarin at this point?
Possibly so. Weird.
First Page Last Page
Page 1026 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.