Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,925 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
cbr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, luckily there's enough fun sw content around now not to waste time on that garbage
dave94
AG
AgfromHOU
AG
I was reading Star Wars: The High Republic #1 from Marvel yesterday and they put a cool timeline on the first page. Most of this is known, but it looks cool.

YouBet
AG
Pretty cool. Maybe we should add to page 1 and replace current one?
israeliag
AG
AgfromHOU
AG
For sure, just up to Spilner
exitone
AG
I know, I know, posting rumors on here is dangerous, but all of these I could see as being possible.

1 below - I don't see why not. Only character off the top of my head I could see being worthy of RDJ playing across multiple shows would be Thrawn. But I don't think he has the right look.

2 below - I completely believe this hurt the High Republic Launch and that team had no clue about Luke.

3 below - I have been wondering this for a while.

1) Robert Downey Jr - in talks to join Favreau-Filoni Star Wars Universe for a re-occurring role across multiple streaming series.

2) Damaged High Republic's Launch - Star Wars: The High Republic is launching and the response has been underwhelming for Lucasfilm. Now the blame game has begun as the "mega-story" limps out of the gate. The prime target is blaming Jon Favreau for the perception that he has enabled what individuals in Lucasfilm view as toxic demographics. More specifically, Luke Skywalker emboldened one part of a divided audience.
Worse, I'm told they're furious because they weren't informed about Luke Skywalker being the season send-off surprise. The people working on High Republic had no idea that Favreau and Filoni would be driving the fanbase into hyperdrive just before they launched a new sub-property that is significantly different.

3) Galaxies Edge - According to a source close to Walt Disney World management, Josh D'Amaro (we believe at the behest of Bob Iger) has started the process of determining costs and logistics for transitioning Galaxy's Edge in both Hollywood Studios and Disneyland to the timeline of The Mandalorian.
People don't want to see Rey. Rey who? They don't want to see Emo Ren that killed Han Solo. People want to see Mando. People want to see Ahsoka. People what to see Baby Yoda (Grogu). And people want to see Luke Skywalker.
israeliag
AG
You know it's dangerous, these are all dumb, you don't reference your "source", yet you still went with it.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

The people working on High Republic had no idea that Favreau and Filoni would be driving the fanbase into hyperdrive just before they launched a new sub-property that is significantly different.
Know how I know this is false? Because it would literally have the opposite effect. Drives more eyes to Star Wars at the perfect moment. Dumb rumor.

Quote:

3) Galaxies Edge - According to a source close to Walt Disney World management, Josh D'Amaro (we believe at the behest of Bob Iger) has started the process of determining costs and logistics for transitioning Galaxy's Edge in both Hollywood Studios and Disneyland to the timeline of The Mandalorian.

People don't want to see Rey. Rey who? They don't want to see Emo Ren that killed Han Solo. People want to see Mando. People want to see Ahsoka. People what to see Baby Yoda (Grogu). And people want to see Luke Skywalker.
They just spent $1B on Rise of the Resistance, possibly the most advanced/sophisticated theme park ride ever constructed, and has gotten rave reviews across the board. They are not about to make it inaccurate to the timeline.

Now, what they are doing (per Mickey Views, a WDW youtuber with inside sources and a fairly good track record) is adding Grogu, which is not only feasible, it's probable, given the insane popularity of the character.

Luckily for them, Grogu ages slowly, so they could put him into that timeline and have him age minimally, if at all. But there would obviously need to be a story written those ~20 years in between. My guess is they will wrap up Grogu's storyline in S3, and then add him to GE.
double aught
AG
Very few people are going to care (or more importantly not go) if everything at Galaxy's Edge doesn't fit in an exact timeline. People are going for Star Wars.
Decay
AG
Star Tours sees Darth Vader, pod racing, a trench run on the Death Star, and Jango Fett
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not in Galaxy's Edge.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
While I agree, the Imagineering team does care. Immersion is the name of the game.
CoachRTM
AG
Yea, you're discounting how much work goes into the imaginieering of Galaxy's Edge.. or really any Disney park.

Definitely think they'll flesh out Grogu's story in the next 12 months (or at least that he survives Kylo's destruction) and get him into the park. Hell, Grogu's already all over the merchandise stands anyway.
Flashdiaz
AG
hopefully they come up with a daycare featuring Grogu to keep the kids entertained for hours while the parents go to the cantina and do shots with rowdy wookies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is brilliant.
TXAG 05
AG
Decay said:

Star Tours sees Darth Vader, pod racing, a trench run on the Death Star, and Jango Fett

They added pod racing to Star Tours? That's lame.

Although it's been 25+ years since I rode it, the prequels weren't even a thing yet.
Quad Dog
AG
They've added the sequels to it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Podracing is awesome.

Your post is bad, and you should feel bad.
TXAG 05
AG
Pod racing is not and never will be wizard.
exitone
AG
israeliag said:

You know it's dangerous, these are all dumb, you don't reference your "source", yet you still went with it.

Yep, I did. I would rather read this type of stuff than see another meme or see someone complaining about how Kylo sucks for the 50th time. Because if you ask me, while this may not be true, it brings up two points.

1) I completely believe the High Republic team had no idea that Luke was going to throw down in the Mandalorian. And I could see how they would feel some of their thunder was taken away since this basically all happened at the same time. The High Republic was a massive effort across books, comics, etc that was launching a completely new timeline to Star Wars. And it got a 'luke warm' reception (pun intended).

2) Galaxies Edge is cool, but its giving us the character and stories that people only have half an interest in. The concept is great in that it starts from a point in time and evolves from there. But in reality, people want to see Luke, Han, original Storm Troopers, Vader, etc. And that translates into more attendance and more money. I guarantee you there have been at least discussions at Lucasfilm about how they might be able to include some of the 'older' non-timeline characters.

Here is the source.

https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/category/disney-rumors/

AliasMan02
AG
I'm not saying you're 100% wrong, but these happened to cross my TL this afternoon.

High Republic is big, but it's a niche thing right now, relatively speaking, because it's only in the smallest Star Wars platforms. No movies, no streaming, no games, and I don't think even a merch campaign.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
exitone said:

Here is the source.

https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/category/disney-rumors/

This website is the Disney version of Outkick the Coverage.
AgfromHOU
AG
Comics, but High Republic #1 sold a ton of copies a week or two ago, and my comic shop was already selling it at over 400% higher price than the list price ($3.99 to $17.99).
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
exitone said:

Look on YouTube and see how many videos there are of little girls dressed as Rey waiting in line to meet Rey, take a picture with Rey and either smiling until it hurts or crying out of sheer joy.

KIDS are who Disney is after. If the kids want to go to Galaxy's Edge, the parents are going to take them. You're going to make a ton more money with 4 people buying souveneirs and eating food and staying at the to-be-built Star Wars hotel than you are with 1-2 super nerds like me buying the droid or the lightsaber and being done with the place in 45 minutes. And then the kids grow up and take their kids there.

My daughter who rebels against liking Star Wars (pun intended) has a Porg on her shoulder she bought at Galaxy's Edge, a plush Chewie, a plush BB8,and a plush Rey, and she RAN when she saw "real" Rey strolling through the crowd.

My daughter who is a Star Wars super fan has been seen on this board talking smack to First Order storm troopers on You Tube, and has between 4-6 versions of Yoda and Grogu, along with a Grogu hat, two T-shirts, and a necklace.

The ST might get hate from some adults, but it's what kids know. I agree they should try and work in Mando or Grogu because it's relatively the same time period, but my kids, about to turn 9, are way more in tune with Kylo, Rey, Poe, and BB8 than they are with Luke, Han, and Leia.
exitone
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

exitone said:

Look on YouTube and see how many videos there are of little girls dressed as Rey waiting in line to meet Rey, take a picture with Rey and either smiling until it hurts or crying out of sheer joy.

KIDS are who Disney is after. If the kids want to go to Galaxy's Edge, the parents are going to take them. You're going to make a ton more money with 4 people buying souveneirs and eating food and staying at the to-be-built Star Wars hotel than you are with 1-2 super nerds like me buying the droid or the lightsaber and being done with the place in 45 minutes. And then the kids grow up and take their kids there.

My daughter who rebels against liking Star Wars (pun intended) has a Porg on her shoulder she bought at Galaxy's Edge, a plush Chewie, a plush BB8,and a plush Rey, and she RAN when she saw "real" Rey strolling through the crowd.

My daughter who is a Star Wars super fan has been seen on this board talking smack to First Order storm troopers on You Tube, and has between 4-6 versions of Yoda and Grogu, along with a Grogu hat, two T-shirts, and a necklace.

The ST might get hate from some adults, but it's what kids know. I agree they should try and work in Mando or Grogu because it's relatively the same time period, but my kids, about to turn 9, are way more in tune with Kylo, Rey, Poe, and BB8 than they are with Luke, Han, and Leia.

I know what your saying. I'm not disputing that. Yes, there are plenty of people who like episodes 7-9. And there are plenty of people who will visit Galaxies Edge no matter what it is because it is 'Star Wars'. But I'm pretty sure that if you took a vote, people would rather see all time periods. And I'm pretty sure that if Disney could do it again, they would choose all time periods. It's not the kids dropping the nerd money. It's people like me. Sure, my kids would force me to buy them something, but I guarantee I would spend a lot more if I had more of an interest. I'm a SW nerd, and would spend it none the less. If I had my preferences though, it would be all time periods.

I think its difficult for them to make changes at this point, but I'm pretty sure discussions have been had. There is no way they haven't discussed it seeing what Mando, Grogu and all that have done for them. I would be curious to see what the breakdown out of the parks is on sales for the Legacy and Savi lightsabers and droids vs the episodes 7-9 related stuff. On a per customer basis, I bet the nerds going in and buying two lightsabers and a droid have a higher average sale than a kid buying a BB-8 doll and a Rey t-shirt.

I will go ahead and admit defeat here.... but just keep an eye out and see if some of the non-timeline stuff doesn't start to make its way into the park.
cbr
AG
what's sad is that Rey could have been a pretty good character, even though it was a bit (way) too much just "modern girl luke"

the pilot dude was ok.

they still had the original cast.

the music and scenery was great. the robot great. lots to work with.

but finn and ren and the others were so bad, and the stories SOOOOOO bad, that i dont see kids really reacting to these new star wars movies much better than grown ups. Kids know ****ty movies too.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

But I'm pretty sure that if you took a vote, people would rather see all time periods
This.

When I went, the Rise of the Resistance ride was roughly 2 weeks from opening, but GE was totally ST-focused. You have First Order stormtroopers patrolling, I saw Rey garnering a crowd, and the X-Wing that is on display is definitely Poe's rather than Luke's. On the other hand, when I went Thanksigiving 2019, The Mandalorian had just begun airing, and I saw a lot of Mandalorian merchandise in the various stores.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248
AG
Who is Krystina Arielle and why are people mad at her?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

You tell us
redline248
AG
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

She's black and outspoken about her community and is hosting the new High Republic web show for Lucasfilm. A companion to the Star Wars show, sort of. The typical people are really mad about it.
YouBet
AG
Did she say something controversial like Greedo shot first?
First Page Last Page
Page 1013 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.