Books read in 2014

34,710 Views | 388 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AgDC
IntercooledAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Read entire Dresden Files series up through Cold Days. Series really starts to hit its stride around book 6. Highly recommended.

Lone Survivor -A
American Sniper-B
World War Z - B
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - A

Nor sure what to turn my focus too now. Considering the Dark Tower series.
Quad Dog
AG
The Three Musketeers by Dumas - B
Wanted a little more swashbuckling, and a little less complaining about money and women.
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
Anybody read the Divergent series and recommend it? I was a big fan of Hunger Games and I enjoy books that have sequels. I also enjoy easy reads so I don't care if it's written for a younger audience.

I read the first one. It's quick, easy, and pretty good. Same idea as Hunger Games. Someone at work recommended I not read the other two, so I never went to the trouble to get them.
Saxsoon
AG
Daemon - Daniel Suarez (audio version)

This was such a fantastic Cyber thriller. This book just really enthralled me over the two weeks I listened to it on the way to work. The characters were interesting and it got into some really amazing applications of what a truly detailed logic tree program could have in the world. The last part gets a little ridiculous, but dammit it was awesome.

schmendeler
AG
The Shadow Rising; WoT book #4. Enjoyed it a lot.
BaileyAg
AG
Can I ask where you guys find out about these books? I always get good ideas from y'all on what to read but I have no idea how y'all find them.

In keeping with the thread...I went old school and reread 1984 and Brave New World and then read Lone Survivor.

[This message has been edited by baileyag (edited 1/27/2014 10:48p).]
schmendeler
AG
texags, that's where!
MW03
AG
Pillars of Earth - by Ken Follett (A)

Really a phenomenal book. Very much recommend to anyone, but especially those interested in epics, medievalism, and historical fiction. Typical Follett book (if you are familiar with the Fall of Giants series). I know this is an old book that most of y'all will be familiar with already. I really enjoyed it.

Up next, a decidedly different experience...
Monster Hunter International - by Larry Correia
schmendeler
AG
world without end was also really enjoyable. maybe not as good as pillars of the earth, but really an entertaining read.
WorkBoots09
AG
Return of the King

It took me nearly all last year to read the entire LOTR one-volume my parents gave me in high school. I started many times, but never really got far until I became interested in reading again a few years ago. My mother told me something that I never forgot about when she read it. She said she cried when she finished it because she'd never read it for the first time ever again. I finally fully understand what that means.

Next up is Tuesdays with Morrie, then Lone Survivor, then maybe I'll try to push through the Silmarillion. That one is interesting, but it's quite a slow read.
wasabi1787
AG
Hmmmm-

Into Thin Air
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
2001 A Space Odyssey
Starship Troopers

With the last being the best of them. By far. Which says a lot.
jr15aggie
AG
I keep forgetting that starship troopers is considered a really good book by many. I sorta liked the movie in a strange way, but generally speaking it wasn't good.
Furlock Bones
AG
Starship Troopers - C-
Billy Bathgate - B+

looking for my next novel.
AgDC
Finished Wheel of Time book 14! Feel like I should throw myself a party or something.
wasabi1787
AG
quote:
I keep forgetting that starship troopers is considered a really good book by many. I sorta liked the movie in a strange way, but generally speaking it wasn't good.

It has nothing to do with the film.
jkag89
Books finished in January:
The Great Santini by Pat Conroy A-
Living on the Black: Two Pitchers, Two Teams, One Season to Remember by John Feinstein C+

[This message has been edited by jkag89 (edited 1/31/2014 9:47p).]
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Finished Wheel of Time book 14! Feel like I should throw myself a party or something.

What did you think? Man that last book was an emotional ride for me. The end of a LONG journey (considering it took me several years to finish the series)... So many of the characters stepped up and did what had to be done, even if that meant sacrificing something. On the whole I though t it was very well done.
hunter2012
AG
Finished Feast for Crows(B- but better than some review it at) and read all of Dance with Dragons(A- surprising endings like always).

Need a new series since GRRM is piddling around, recommendations? My mother keeps telling me to read the Spencer Series....

For the record my favorite author is Michael Crichton, such unique writing.
aggiemonocle
Finished:
Inferno by Dan Brown - C-

Reading:
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
MW03
AG
quote:
Finished Feast for Crows(B- but better than some review it at) and read all of Dance with Dragons(A- surprising endings like always).

Need a new series since GRRM is piddling around, recommendations? My mother keeps telling me to read the Spencer Series....

If you like ASOIF, I'd bet you would like the Patrick Rothfuss books.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
It took me nearly all last year to read the entire LOTR one-volume my parents gave me in high school. I started many times, but never really got far until I became interested in reading again a few years ago. My mother told me something that I never forgot about when she read it. She said she cried when she finished it because she'd never read it for the first time ever again. I finally fully understand what that means.

Completely understand. I read the book after the first movie came out, my freshman year of high school. Second half of The Two Towers was a little hard to get through, but Return of the King is just an amazing book. The Siege of Gondor and the Battle of the Pelennor Fields are some of my favorite chapters of any book I have ever read. Tolkien could write battles like no one else. I really do need to reread the lord of the rings.

metrag06
AG
Just finished:
The Aviators: Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh, and the Epic Age of Flight (A)- really interesting look at the early days of flight and some good biographical information on all three of them.

Debt of Honor by Clancy (re-read)

Currently reading The Meaning of Marriage by Tim Keller while re-reading The Hunt For Red October. Also listening to an audiobook (does that count?) of The Gun by CJ Chivers.

[This message has been edited by metrag06 (edited 2/2/2014 1:50a).]
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:

If you like ASOIF, I'd bet you would like the Patrick Rothfuss books.

Rothfuss has some of the most well constructed sentences of any author. Plus the world he creates in the Kingkiller chronicle is just exquisite.
mid90
AG
Also, the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott lynch. A book about upscale thieves (think ocean's 11) set in a unique fantasy world.
agmatt06
AG
Book 3 of the WOT done. On to the monster that is book 4 at 1,000 pages.
jlb2957
AG
Lies of Locke Lamora was good... but i think Scott Lynch tries to be WAY to descriptive. I stopped even trying to keep up with all the descriptions of every single nook and cranny of that city.

Rothfuss' writing is poetry.
mid90
AG
^^ I agree with everything you said.
MW03
AG
Ripped through Monster Hunter International (Larry Correia) in about a week. Fun read, especially after finishing a Follett tome. I'd give it a very solid B, and I'm excited to try the next book in the series.
AgInSingapore
AG
Metamorphoses by Ovid
AgDC
In the end I enjoyed the series. Not sure I’d recommend it to those who are not hardcore fantasy fans. There were some sacrifices made but I felt like the main characters got off a little too easy.

I would have also liked to have gotten a glimpse into the future a bit. But all in all I’m glad I read it and those last several books sucked me back into the series.

[This message has been edited by AgDC (edited 2/4/2014 11:24a).]
schmendeler
AG
there are numberous people on this thread who have said they are in the middle of reading this series. why on earth would you mention ANYTHING about a specific character?
AgDC
Simmer down. It was an honest "mistake." Didn't realize we considered this a spoiler free thread since we are in fact discussing books. I know I don't expect it to be when I come here. But, I'll remove the name if it makes you feel better.
Tanya 93
1)Marrying Up by Wendy Holden--B
2)The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch-A
3)Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead-B+
4)The Rose Ransom by Spencer Baum-B-
5)House of Bathory by Linda Lafferty-A+
6)The Dark Monk by Oliver Potzsch-A
7)The Beggar King by Oliver Potzsch-B+
8) Welcome to the Real World by Carole Matthews-C
9)The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult--A-
10)Longbourn by Jo Baker--B
11)Moon Dwellers by David Estes-A
wreckt01
Audiobooks
1) Blade Runner/Do Androids dream of electric sheep: Phillip Dick - B, entertaining and creative

2) Side Jobs: Jim Butcher- A, great supplement to the dresden series.

Paperbacks
1) The Forever War: Joe Halderman - B, Really liked some aspects of the book, but was not blown away

2)Inferno: Dan Brown - D, was stuck at an airport with nothing to read and this was the only book they had for sale other than romance novels...not kidding, should have taken a nap instead

Currently reading

Hyperion: Dan Simmons

The eye of the World: Robert Jordan
Quad Dog
AG
The Three Musketeers by Dumas - B
Ubik by Philip K Dick - B
Typical PKD book, if you're a fan, I recommend it. Great concept about life, dearth, dreams, illusions, mind reading, but not great execution. Left me wanting more (but not in a good way.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.