Books read in 2014

34,738 Views | 388 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AgDC
mid90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I generally read myself to sleep at night. It could be 5 minutes, it could be an hour or more.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
quote:
Just curious, how much time do you guys read/day? I probably only get 30 minutes a day every other day, so my progress feels lethargic compared to some of you.

I try to set aside an hour at least every couple days. Like anything else, I have to actively make time for it. Though right now I'm moving a little slower because I'm taking notes while I read
getme
quote:
And now, here I sit. 9 days until Skin Game comes out. I guess I can re-read Cold Days to prepare myself

Yup.
Quad Dog
AG
Haven't had as much time to read as I like lately...
Engineers of Victory: The Problem Solvers Who Turned the Tide in the Second World War by Paul M. Kennedy - A
A gift from my Mom that I enjoyed. Interesting breakdown of engineering decisions that helped the Allies win on 5 different fronts.

The Three Musketeers by Dumas - B
Ubik by Philip K Dick - B

Do cookbooks/graphic novels count? If so, I just picked up a handful from the library:
Kingdom Come - A
Ultimates Vol. 1 and 2 - B+
Spider-Man: Season one - B-
Saga Vol. 1 - A+, Wow, this was so good. Need to get my hands on the next issues.
Hawkeye Vol. 1: My Life As A Weapon - A, Great look at a normal super hero's days when he's not saving the world as an Avenger.

[This message has been edited by Quad Dog (edited 5/21/2014 2:23p).]
Frok
AG
quote:
Just curious, how much time do you guys read/day?

I usually read during my lunch break at work and then before I go to sleep. I used to read a lot more before I had kids.
howitzercannon
dubi
AG
Natchez Burning, Greg Iles A+

Started Sniper's Honor, Stephen Hunter
Quad Dog
AG
The Thief by Fuminori Nakamura - A-
Quick, engaging read about a Japanese pickpocket. I wanted a different ending, but the one written was still good. Also want to read his next book Evil and the Mask.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
Just finished The Shining. Very good and very different from the movie, which surprised me. Significant plot changes.

Thats why King hates the Kubrick version. The TV miniseries that came out in the late 90's/early 00s was a much better adapatation.
AgDC
1-3)Wheel of Time books 12-14
4)The Paris Wife -- it's written from the point of view of Ernest Hemingway's first wife Hadley. Takes place mostly before he became very successful/famous. Pretty interesting reading.
5-7) Divergent series -- First two books were quick but interesting reads. The 3rd book (Allegiant) was a disappointment. Managed to be both convoluted and simplistic with an unsatisfying ending that didn't feel earned.
8-10) Mistborn series -- Read this series because I kept seeing it mentioned here and I had enjoyed the last few books in the WoT series that Sanderson had written. Really liked this one. Did a good job of building a fully realized world without getting bogged down in useless details.
11) The Book Thief -- Very good read. Death as the narrator of a story about WW 2 was really intriguing. Highly recommend it.
12) Gone Girl
13) The Queens Fool by Philippa Gregory. I give it a B.
14) Roof Tops of Tehran -- I'd give it a B. Story didn't go where I thought it would and felt a bit unfinished. Interesting perspective of a teenage boy in Iran in the 70's.

[This message has been edited by AgDC (edited 5/27/2014 12:22p).]
agmatt06
AG
Finished WOT Book 11 last week. Definitely started to pick up, and I'm about 1/2 way through Book 12.

It's pretty interesting to watch the transition from Jordan to Sanderson. I think I notice some small things here and there that tell me it's a new author, but overall very smooth transition.
getme
Just finished Skin Game by Jim Butcher, another excellent entry in the Dresden Files series.
jkag89
Books finished in January:
1) The Great Santini by Pat Conroy A-
2) Living on the Black: Two Pitchers, Two Teams, One Season to Remember by John Feinstein C+

Books finished in February:
3) Lincoln's Dreams by Connie Willis B-
4) Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand A
5) The Master Mind of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs B-

Books finished in March
6) A Fighting Man of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs B
7) Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff B

Books finished in April
8) City of Thieves by David Benioff A
9) The Story of a Soul by Thérèse of Lisieux A
10) Spin by Robert Charles Wilson A-

Books finished in May
11) Axis by Robert Charles Wilson C+
12) Vortex by Robert Charles Wilson B-
13) The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt A-

[This message has been edited by jkag89 (edited 5/31/2014 1:30p).]
jlb2957
AG
Blood Song - Anthony Ryan A+
Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson A
Well of Ascension - Brandon Sanderson A
Hero of Ages - Brandon Sanderson A
Red Seas Under Red Skies - Scott Lynch A
Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch A

Skin Game - Jim Butcher A

Wouldn't put Skin Game in my top 5 of the series or anything, but that isn't a knock on it seeing as how amazing the series is. Butcher does such a great job with his Characters. Always a fun book to read.
YZ250
The Candy Bombers – Andrei Cherny (A)

Excellent book about the Berlin air-lift. Very thorough look at a subject that was just briefly covered in school. You can get a pretty good perspective of pre- and postwar Berlin/Germany when you read this book and In the Garden of Beasts though The Candy Bombers is much better IMO.
Philip J Fry
AG
Alright. I've been putting this off for a while, but here is my "books listened" for 2014

Jack Reacher Series by Lee Child, Read by Dick Hill

Killing Floor: A-. This is the first of the series and was enough to get me interested in the rest of the series. Particularly enjoyed the prison scenes.

Die Trying: A+. Probably my favorite of the entire series.

Tripwire: B.

Echo Burning: B+. Couldn't help but think of Lubbock when I listened to this book.

Without Fail: B-. All the sudden, JR is no longer a loner. I had a hard time coming to grips with this.

Persuader: A-. Had a tough time with the first person narrative at first, but the ending really sold me on it.

The Enemy: B. A Prequel novel where you finally get to see Reacher as a cop. Enjoyed it, but wasn't memorable.

One Shot: A-. Was the basis for the JR movie. Like most book/movies, I found the book to be considerably better.

The Hard Way: A-. Really enjoyed this one. Reminded me a lot of the "Fistful of Dollars" set up.

Nothing to Lose: B. Enjoyed how Child painted the Hope/Despair Colorado towns so much that I actually looked into whether or not the towns actually exist.

Gone Tomorrow: C-. My first solid C score. Totally unbelievable book.

61 Hours: A. Child bounces back with the South Dakota winter scenery here. Even in the cold, Reacher is a total badass.

Worth Dying For: B. Drags a bit, but Reacher beating the **** out of former Cornhusker football players makes it worth it.

The Affair: C-. Direct prequel to The Killing Floor. Good for an understanding of the events that led up to Reacher's retirement, but that's about it.

A Wanted Man: D. Gah. The first half of the book is brilliant. The second half...not so much.

Never Go Back: D. Hate to admit it, but JR has become a caricature at this point. This book finishes the story line that began with 61 hours. Gotta say I was disappointed.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, read by Wil Wheaton

Grade A++. As a former WoW addict, this book was amazing. I loved it so much, I listened to it a second time as soon as I was finished. My only regret was that it wasn't longer.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan, read by Ari Fliakos
Grade B-. Wanted to like this book more, but the ending just didn't have the payoff I was hoping for.

Dean Koontz Novels read by J. Charles
Watchers: A+. Listening to a book about a brilliant dog (slightly less brilliant than my dog) named Einstein while the owners are being hunted by a crazed murder was...oddly enjoyable. Enough to get me interest in his other books.

Midnight: B. Still listening to this one, but I'm pretty much done. An update to the Island of Dr. Moreau using technology.

[This message has been edited by Philip J Fry (edited 6/1/2014 10:05p).]
Ashley96
AG
I finished "The Town" by Conrad Richter yesterday and started Wouk's "Caine Mutiny."

I'm still reading the Pulitzer fiction winners in chronological order. Next up after this is a Hemingway reread of "Old Man and the Sea."
Quad Dog
AG
I read the three Tales of Dunk and Egg books over the weekend. If you've read Game of Thrones, I'd recommend them. Much shorter, and focuses on less characters.
YZ250
The Caine Mutiny is excellent.
schmendeler
AG
finished WoT book 10, about 100 pages into book 11.
nai06
AG
Re: Ready Player One

Cline originally had 60 keys and 60 gates but it was pared down to 3
Pelayo
AG
Caine Mutiny +3
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Hudson2508
AG
The Gunslinger - Stephen King B+
Dune - Frank Herbert B
Dune Messiah Herbert B-
The Way of Kings - Sanderson A+
Words of Radiance - Sanderson A+
Warbreaker - Sanderson B+
The Final Empire (Mistborn 1) - Sanderson A-
The Well of Ascension (Mistborn 2) - Sanderson A
The Hero of Ages (Mistborn 3) - Sanderson A+

Kingkiller book 1 - Rothfuss A
Kingkiller book 2 - Rothfuss B+

First Kingkiller book was great. Loved the music and storytelling. The main character is a bit arrogant but the story made up for it.

The 2nd blook had its moments but fell short in a lot of areas and spent too much time in situations I just couldn't enjoy. Hope the final book in the series gets back on track and finishes strong.

Not sure what I'll be reading next.
Talon2DSO
AG
Sherlock Holmes by Sir ACD. Love some of the stories, not some of the others. A bit tough to follow.

East of Eden by John Steinbeck. About halfway done, still epic story

Field of Prey by John Sandford. Really enjoyed it

Buried Prey by John Sandford. Another great cop novel

The Skin Collector by Jeffrey Deaver. Didn't enjoy this one too much. Was too predictable and I found it insulting of my intelligence at times.

Currently on Soldier of the Great War by Mark Halperin. I really enjoy his writing style. Halperin is definitely a few levels ahead of most authors. Very wordy at times but incredibly articulate descriptions leave zero to your imagination and ton to experience.

[This message has been edited by Talon2DSO (edited 6/7/2014 9:43p).]
Mike7th
AG
"Boys of Summer" is the best baseball book ever, and "Count of Monte Christo" is often called the greatest novel of all time. The finest military history I've ever read is the WWII trilogy by Rick Atkinson, followed closely by two great history works by James Donovan, "A Terrible Glory' (Custer and the Little Big Horn) and "Blood of Heroes" (Alamo). Also, anything by Walter Lord (His subjects covered the Titanic, Guadalcanal, the Alamo, the Battle of Midway), all great reads.
Mike7th
AG
Highly recommend James Donovan's "Blood of heroes" (the Alamo), and "A Terrible Glory" (Custer and the Little Big Horn). Best military works I have ever reed are the WWII trilogy by Rick Atkinson.
jlb2957
agmatt06
AG
And so I begin book 14 of the WOT.
Mike7th
AG
"Blood of Heroes" on the Alamo and "A terrible Glory" about Custer and the Little Big Horn are both great reads.
Mike7th
AG
Read Rick Atkinson's World War II trilogy. Great military history, and highly recommend.
AgDC
quote:
And so I begin book 14 of the WOT.

Blue Star for you sir!
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
quote:
Just curious, how much time do you guys read/day? I probably only get 30 minutes a day every other day, so my progress feels lethargic compared to some of you.

I usually read for about 30 minutes before bed or until I drop my book or iPad on my face because I fell asleep.
schmendeler
AG
I honestly don't know how you can fall asleep reading something. If I get so tired that I'm falling asleep, I'm not paying attention to what I'm reading anyway, and put the book down. How can you go from lucidity to falling asleep so quickly?

Is it just me?

[This message has been edited by Schmendeler (edited 6/10/2014 9:44p).]
Prime0882
AG
1) The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas: A+ -- Yep, the book was better than the movie.
2) Diablo III: Storm of Light by Nate Kenyon: C+
3) Galveston: A Novel by Nic Pizzolatto (guy that created and wrote True Detective): A+ -Great book, very quick read and would recommend to anyone that watched True Detective. Has a similar gritty feeling as the HBO series.
4) Star Wars: Darth Plagueis - B+ -Enjoyable backstory into who was Emperor Palpatine's master and how Palpatine was trained.
5) Promise of Blood - Book One of the Powder Mage Trilogy - A - Another quick, enjoyable fantasy book. Set in a time period akin to Pre-Industrial Europe where magic and industry are side by side. Subset of mages snort gunpowder like coke and use bullet time.
6) Duty by Bob Gates - A
7) The Passage by Justin Cronin - B+

Up Next: The Twelve by Justin Cronin
Clavell
AG
I usually average about 2 a month, but only 2 ytd.
1) William Manchester's "The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill Alone 1932 - 1940". This was Vol 2 of biography trilogy on Churchill. Read first one a little over a year ago. This covered a period when Churchill was lone voice against Hitler when appeasemnet was the offical policy. Think "Winds of War" from British side. Covers up to attack on France by Nazis. Really great behind the scenes of that period, Churchill and British. Unbelievable parallels to what is happening in Ukraine right now. (A-)
2) Jo Nesbo's "The Bat" (previous Nesbo books read - "The Snowman" and "The Redbreast"). This was his first with detective main character Harry Hole. (B)

Next: William Manchester's (finished by Paul Reid) "The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill Defender of the Realm, 1940 - 1965". This is concluding volume of biography trilogy on Churchill. Manchester died before completion and Reid recently finished and published. Had plan to read later this year, but decided to move up. At current reading time availability and 1400+ pages may take me until end of year though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.