Inception

17,744 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
MaroonTank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

2008and1
AG
quote:
Michael Caine's character doesn't even mention Mal, only Cobb's children.

He doesn't bring up Mal. But Cobb brings her up when Michael Caine asks him why he needs an architect since he could do it himself. I believe Cobb responds by telling him that Mal won't let him.
Gradin
AG
Even though the childern were older earlier in the movie when he was on the phone with him, that possibly could have been a dream. However, I do recall him mentioning how he does not dream anymore either.
20ag07
Excellent film. Everytime someone defends **** like Transformers2, as "entertainment we shouldn't complain about", I will point to this type of movie. A summer blockbuster with explosions CAN be excellently written/acted. This is what big budget films should aspire to.

The 2nd movie of the year to be a lock for one of the 10 Best Picture slots (Toy Story 3 was the first). I think Leo is more likely to get a Best Actor nomination for Shutter Island than for this film, however. He's in an interesting position here where he has 2 great performances in good films and can only be nominated for one- the same position he found himself in 2006. That year he was battling himself for The Departed and Blood Diamond. In the end, he was nommed for Blood Diamond, while The Departed went on to win Best Picture. I think Shutter Island is more of a showcase for him than Inception is...while Inception is an overall better film. The exact same thing with Blood DIamond/Departed. Both Inception and Shutter Island, and his performances, are significantly better than either of their respective 2006 DiCaprio equivalent.

This film solidifies that Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Ellen Page are the best actor/actress currently in their 20s.

[This message has been edited by 20ag07 (edited 7/24/2010 9:51p).]
20ag07
Decent Joe Levitt article in Details this week. Really think he's my generation's best actor. Love his attitude and the stuff he puts out. He was rising, and (500) Days of Summer was a breakout for him. Inception does great things for his dramatic resume, and his cancer comedy with the excellent Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air) and Seth Rogen could push him over the edge comedically. /manlove
quote:
"There's a lot of stuff that gets created for the love of it, and there's a lot that really does get created with almost no love involved," he says. "Just to make money. I think of Chris Nolan as a shining example of somebody who can do something for the love and still succeed at the money game. A lot of people make excuses and say, 'Ah, well, there's no room for love here. We have to make money.' And I love to point to Chris Nolan and say, '**** you guys. This guy's making more money than you are, and he's making beautiful, genuine movies.'"

http://www.details.com/celebrities-entertainment/cover-stars/201008/inception-actor-joseph-gordon-levitt
bendover
Leo is in the dream from the beginning.

I've only seen it once and the audio was messed up, but look at the situations surrounding him in "reality" and you will see that it points to him being in a dream from the get-go.
sharkenleo
i have a mancrush on jgl, no lie.
MaroonTank
AG

20ag07
Have you not seen any of his films the past 5 years? Nolan is an excellent director, to be sure, but Levitt has been acting his ass off in plently of non-Nolan films the past few years.
bendover
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've only seen it once and it was illegal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIFY

I know you are only joking (at least I hope), but I want to clarify that I saw this at the theater and it was the theater's audio that was jacked up. I don't even download music illegally.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Sorry if this was already posted (I didn't go back and reread the whole thread but don't remember seeing it), but I thought this was cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkQ0C4qDvM

The the two key musical hooks in the film are in fact the same song played at different speeds.
sixiron
AG
You all need to read this. I didn't see anyone else mention it.
(SPOILER)

http://revolvingdoorproject.net/2010/07/23/inception-what-happened-at-the-end/

I agree with the theory that Leo's totem was his wedding band. He wasn't wearing it at the end....therefore, it wasn't a dream.

(/SPOILER)
sharkenleo
quote:

The the two key musical hooks in the film are in fact the same song played at different speeds.

Neat. John Williams did the same thing for Phantom Menace, only the other way around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6W6Agqujpw

The chanting that starts at the 1:05 mark
was sped up, and switched from a minor to a major key, and became this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAs7Wxvc1_o
SirDeofWood
AG
Maybe I wasnt paying attention but how did Dicapprio's character ever get involved with the Asian guy? What was going on in the beginning?
MaroonTank
AG
BahaMut
I think Saito was actually testing him to see how good he was, like a job interview.
Simplebay
AG
quote:
can't remember the name

i believe it was Cobalt Engineering
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
It was COBOL, as in the programming language.
MaroonTank
AG

GoAgs92
AG
Great movie, my only complaint was the whole snow fortress scene was much much too long.

I like that ring theory...
Jim01
AG
************** SPOILERS *******************

Saw it Sunday night and loved it. Have not stopped thinking about it since. I read all the posts and there is one thing that confuses me.

Limbo.

As it is introduced in the movie, Limbo is where you go when you die in a dream but your body is unable to physically wake up due to heavey sedatives/coma/etc.

My question is this. How the hell do Leo and wife end up in Limbo in the first place? And secondly, in Leo and Wifes trip to limbo, as well and Saito and Leo's trip to limbo, it is potrayed that killing each other let's you leave? What? So to get out of limbo all you have to do is die in limbo? Then why the hell did Leo and his wife stay there for 50 years if all they had to do was get their brains blown up by a train?

Tell me if I am wrong, but here is what I think. Leo and wife were in Limbo because they wanted to be. They put themselves there for research/fun to live in a dream world for a while, but then things went wrong when the wife lost touch with reality and leo then had to spend years convincing her that death was escape.

[This message has been edited by Jim01 (edited 8/3/2010 8:38a).]
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Tell me if I am wrong, but here is what I think. Leo and wife were in Limbo because they wanted to be. They put themselves there for research/fun to live in a dream world for a while, but then things went wrong when the wife lost touch with reality and leo then had to spend years convincing her that death was escape.

Yep. That's pretty much the backbone of the movie.
SQ-2 Rock
AG
I think you can get to limbo via heavy sedation. They never really explained how exactly Cobb and wife got there; but, in all cases, dying gets you the f out.

(weird though that dying gets you in too)
aggiemike02
AG
Awesome movie.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
After my second viewing this weekend, I think this may be one of the finest movies I have ever seen. It definitly makes my Top 5.

My only nitpicky problem that I had since the first viewing was about the "security forces" Cillian Murphy had in his dreams. Did his "security" train at the Stormtrooper Firing Range? Because they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from two feet away. Seriously. In the taxi cab assault where Saito is hit, one guy is literally firing from 2-3 feet away with an automatic weapon into the back window and hits nothing. Yet even the chemist was a crack shot from 20 yards with a pistol.

This doesn't detract from the movie, but it did bug me.
Danny Duberstein
Agree that the security force seemed a bit overboard. The fact they had stormtrooper marksmanship might have been easier to overlook if they just had fewer of them in the movie. By the time they hit the snow fortress, it went a little too James Bond for my taste.

But still a great movie.

[This message has been edited by Danny Duberstein (edited 8/9/2010 4:56p).]
Mr.Ackar07
quote:
I think you can get to limbo via heavy sedation. They never really explained how exactly Cobb and wife got there; but, in all cases, dying gets you the f out.

(weird though that dying gets you in too)

My understanding was that dying got you in because you where too heavily sedated to wake up. So if you died in a dream, you went to limbo until the sedative wore off and you woke up. When Cobb entered limbo to get Saito, he already knew that the dreamworld was collapsing allowing them to awake finally from the dream (via killing themselves). Had he entered earlier, killing themselves again would put them further in limbo due to the sedative. The only way to combate the sedative was to free-fall because the inner-ear equilibrium was not affected by the drug.
Jason_Ag98
AG
TxAginAz
AG
I saw it and liked it.

It is very thought provoking concept.

*********************************************************************************************************************
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women."

Wipey
AG
http://chud.com/articles/articles/24477/1/NEVER-WAKE-UP-THE-MEANING-AND-SECRET-OF-INCEPTION/Page1.html

I promise you that you won't be sorry if you read this.
EscobarAg08
texasaggie04
AG
Just saw this movie yesterday, been reading everything here.

quote:
The fact that there are two actors for phillipa seem to suggest he did in fact end up in the dream.

There were two actors for both children, according to imdb, and they are listed as a two year difference. That is heavily suggestive of a dream end, unless they just wanted older voices on the phone for some reason.
Snowball
AG
Pro Ag
AG
Really, really enjoyed the movie. The small theater was packed for a Saturday night showing.

It is good to see we have some of the same crazies from the Lost threads here. I don't understand the attempt to over think movies. If people leave stuff up to interpretation nothing is right and wrong.

Anyone have a feel for why the chemist all of the sudden being part of the team that went into the dream world after him saying he didn't go into the field and the Japanese guy being a "tourist" in the dream?
WoMD
Ok, just saw this. Many of my questions have been answered (or at least well enough) in this thread, but there's one that is bugging me...
In the ice world scene, after the rich guy gets shot, and leo and juno go into limbo...saito is still alive, right? He dies AFTER they go into that 4th level (limbo?). But...when in limbo, leo and juno know that he is dead even though he was still alive when they left. Am I wrong in this? Did I miss something?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.