Inception

17,740 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MW03
sharkenleo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some negative reviews have started to come in, but still holding a very solid 88% on RT.

2 days to go...
MaroonTank
AG

mazag08
AG
That was an absolutely outstanding movie!

Acting - A
Plot - A+
Graphics - A
Story - A
Character Development - A
Creativity - A+

For those that have seen it, listen to this song and tell me it doesn't fit perfectly.. lyrics, mood, video.. WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18SUFbABxNQ
sharkenleo
can't wait to see it tonight
Saxsoon
AG
Saw the midnight release before and it was worth it not getting home till past 3. The 2 and half hours flew by and with a few minor shots of the falling van, it wasn't repetitive or tiring. The acting was amazing though I was hoping Michael Caine would have had a bigger role. I really liked Ellen Page in this and she did a great job amongst an amazing group of actors.

Spoilers (sort of) . . . I am not really sure what to make of the ending, which while a little suspected, it was executed really well and it leaves it open to interpretation as well as hit home to the blurring of reality and the dreams.

Do yourself a favor and see this film, it beats Dark Knight by a mile imo.
mazag08
AG
BIG SPOILERS**************

Spoilers

The ending pretty much says that he THOUGHT he woke up on the plane, but that whole sequence of getting off the plane, meeting Michael Caine, going home, and seeing his kids.. was all in his head. He was still trapped 3 to 4 layers down and was creating it all from his memory.

[This message has been edited by mazag08 (edited 7/16/2010 12:03p).]

[This message has been edited by mazag08 (edited 7/16/2010 12:03p).]
Saxsoon
AG
Spoilers for discussion on ending of film.

What I think we saw is that that the top would have fallen if the screen hadn't gone black. However I think he was still stuck in the dream world. The film went to great lengths to blur the line between reality and the dream. Case in point, the chemist's basement. The caretaker said that these people came in to get back to reality. I think Cobb was stuck and he made the dream his new reality. Remember the point of a totem was to realize if you were in someone else's dream, not your own. He could replicate the falling of the top if his subconscious really wanted it to.

Another interesting theory I heard was that Page's character was hired by Caine to do an inception on Cobb to realize his wife needed to move on in his mind.

[This message has been edited by Marsuvees (edited 7/16/2010 3:59p).]
Texaggie7nine
How bout take the spoilers to another thread.

Gradin
AG
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/07/16/how-christopher-nolans-inception-evolved-from-the-dark-knight/

I found this interesting.
Saxsoon
AG
Where else would I discuss it? I don't want to clog the board with multiple topics for one film. I will edit my response though to add spoiler warnings.

It is my belief that once a movie has aired it is open game to discuss. I guess not everyone feels that way.
Gradin
AG
Basically if you have a spoiler for a relatively new movie or show, you put spoiler warnings. It has only been out for like less than 24 hours.

[This message has been edited by Gradin (edited 7/16/2010 6:05p).]
I Like Turtles
AG
I thought that it was one of the most boring movies i've ever watched.
Texaggie7nine
But did you like Dark Knight?

Saxsoon
AG
Apparently he likes turtles!

I am sorry, I forget some people make a much bigger deal out of spoilers than I do. I saw spoilers for Shutter Island and it got me to want to watch it.
Texaggie7nine
I have never really enjoyed watching 6th sense after I saw it once. The surprise ending made it good, but then it wasn't a surprise after that.

Saxsoon
AG
I care more about the journey in MOST cases unless the ending is truly truly terrible.
MRB10
AG
Spoilers

I agee that the end left it open to the possibility of him being trapped in his subconscious. What also less me to believe that was the way the movie started. It was one of my complaints at first and then I thought about something cobb said at the beginning. I felt like the viewer was just thrown into the movie. You don't know how her got to shore and then the rest of the movie is pretty much 150mph after that. But I think that's the way it was intended.. you never remember the beginning of a dream. His mind just kept adding situations to his world.

The idea that she was doing an inception on him is an interesting thought too.
Rule Number 32
AG
Awesome movie. I was dreading a 2.5 hour movie, but it flew by. One of my favorites from the last few years for sure.
Malachi Constant
AG
***********************SPOILERS*******************

*************SPOILERS********************

****************SPOILERS*******************

My interpretation. The entire film was about how an idea can take a hold of you and change your whole life.

The entire film was about Leo himself receiving an inception at the hands of his wife.

When his wife threw herself off the ledge, SHE ACTUALLY DID WAKE UP INTO REALITY, Leo didn't.

The whole thing was orchestrated by his wife to plant the seed in his mind that "maybe I am actually still dreaming...."

Case in point, he has to try the Totem when he gets back to his kids, and is doubtful that he is actually awake.

Inception successful.

**********************END SPOILERS**************

**************END SPOILERS*********************

**********************************************ocho

[This message has been edited by Blatant Disregard (edited 7/16/2010 10:30p).]
cone
AG
absolutely unbelievable

the ultimate phillip k dick story that was never written
Green Fairy
AG
Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was awesome. It definitely could have been cheesy if not done the right way. The way they did it made it seem like the dream machine could be a reality. Big big thumbs up.
aTmLoKi
AG
Groundbreaking, and very "Matrix-like."

We all loved it and came away throwing out tons of different theories and speculations.
coscaggie
AG
Bad ass. I honestly got out of was trying to figure it out on the drive home and I felt like I was the one women from a dream. Still trying to put it all together.
sharkenleo
Amazing, amazing movie. Missed the first 5 minutes, so gonna have to watch it again. Not that I need an excuse for such a great film.

This is one you can watch 5 times and still be trying to wrap your head around it.

10/10, and Nolan's best work.
Daysleeper
AG
Simply incredible. Loved every minute.

***************SPOILER**********************

Does Leo seeing his children's faces at the end have any bearing? My gut feeling is he is in a dream but seeing the kids makes my wife feel it is reality.

**********END SPOILER**************
Earp16
AG
Amazing movie. It felt like the shortest 2.5 hours of my life due to how much it makes you think. I've never watched a movie more than once in the theaters, but may have to do so with this one.

aTmLoKi
AG
SPOILER

quote:
Does Leo seeing his children's faces at the end have any bearing? My gut feeling is he is in a dream but seeing the kids makes my wife feel it is reality.

I think it was always his decision to not see his children's faces. The reason his wife and children kept popping up was that they were always in his subconscious and all inside of his dream. He had the opportunity to see the faces of his children when he was with his wife in limbo toward the end, but made the conscious decision not to see them. His ultimate dream was to be reunited with his kids, and when that came to be - he could willingly accept the reality of his dream.

END SPOILER
cr0wbar
AG
Bah-

I'm gonna try and see it today- tough to dodge all these spoilers!!

cablinaggie
AG
Good movie. Memento is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I still think it's a little better than Inception, but Inception is very well-made, and is 100 mph right from the start. Kind of like a dream.

And watching it in XD is awesome. A total assault on the senses, all while you're trying to wrap your mind around what's going on.
Apu
AG
Great movie. I am going to have to watch it again!
AgHawkeye
AG
Loved the movie

I have no idea if it is correct, but Blatant Disregard's theory is my favorite.
DennisTheMenace
SPOILER****************************************

The thing is, if the ending isn't reality, then it really isn't as victorious as it should be. When Cobb parts with Mal, he makes a point to say that his projection of mal is not as good as the inspiration for the idea, an entirely separate woman whom Cobb's projection cannot fully capture. With that idea in mind, Cobb can justify moving past his projection of mal for the reality of his living children. If he does not succeed in fulfilling this idea, then the conclusion is pessimistic and Cobb's idea of the beauty of reality is contradicted.

Of course, a positive spin on this could be that mal is in fact performing the inception and showing Cobb the value of reality so that he can eventually free himself.
TravelAg2004
AG
Highly recommend!!

And for new movies, I think we should have 2 threads, one discussing the release and expectations and reviews (sans spoilers) and then another thread to discuss the movie with spoilers.
astros45
in the last scene, his kids never aged and they were wearing the same clothes as the whole movie

so this was a projection of how they appeared his last experience with them, meaning that last scene was still a projection and not reality
Green Fairy
AG
Yeah, but it's never said how long he's been away. A parent away from their children for 6 days could miss them just as much as him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.