What is your Mexican order?

13,039 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pinochet11
Lex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If it's a new place I'm trying fajitas. If you can't do fajitas right you aren't worth my time.

For frequent haunts enchiladas, birria tacos, fajitas, Queso, tacos, beans and rice. Not all together obviously. But like. Those are the favorites.

Bondag
AG
Elvis Presley Memorial Combo
BurnetAggie99
I could go for some Oaxacan Mole Coloradito Enchiladas right now. Wash it down with a ice cold beer
AquaCasaAg
AG
2 cheese & onion enchiladas, crispy beef taco and a guacamole tostada. Beans & rice

Or if I don't want to feel fat, just the enchiladas and beans and rice.
CaddoAggie96
AG
Lex said:

If it's a new place I'm trying fajitas. If you can't do fajitas right you aren't worth my time.

For frequent haunts enchiladas, birria tacos, fajitas, Queso, tacos, beans and rice. Not all together obviously. But like. Those are the favorites.

Yes. This is exactly what I order.
If a new place I always get fajitas. If they aren't good….I can just about predict how the rest of the menu will be with a few exceptions.
maroon barchetta
Ordering at a place I haven't been before, it's cheese enchiladas. If those are bad there is no point in trying anything else.
Slicer97
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Countries are allowed to take another country's food and make it their own, unless it's America, and then its just wrong and cultural appropriation. Maybe Italy should stop making pasta since they stole it from China.

I wonder what would happen if they started making Sausage Kolache in the Czech Republic
Kolaches

'Mericuh, brah...
BQ_90
AG
RGV AG
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Interesting. I've been to Mexico over a dozen times and never seen Migas on a menu anywhere we've been. I assumed they were Tex-Mex.
You are 100% correct. Migas, as they are known and consumed in Texas, are 100% Tex-Mex. Ironically, about 3 weeks ago I was in Saltillo and at lunch at quasi trying to be upscale place, but still a local joint and they had "Migas Tejanas" on their menu, it jumped out at me as it was the first time I had seem them even in Mex.

I grew up in Mex and Migas are Tex-Mex to the core, I had never seen them made with tortillas until I moved to the RGV. I have seen something called migas in Mexico in a soupy type deal with eggs and bread before, and they never appealed to me. I know the Spanish eat something similar in make up, but with different ingredients, i.e. bread and lots of garlic as well. That is where I think what is known in Texas as migas comes from.

In terms of Chilaquiles, and they are one of my most favorite thing, the traditional method of making them involved cutting older stale tortilla into lengthwise strips and then flash frying those strips in a little oil to just coat them. Salsa, either green or red, was added to a semi wet status and at this point they were either served as is or many folks would put them into the oven in a casserole type setting. Traditional chilaquiles are served with crumbly white cheese, panela if in deep Mex and likely queso fresco if in northern Mex, diced onions or onion slices and cream. Often times accompanied with eggs or piece of meat as a side.

As a kid I never heard of chicken being added to chilaquiles until I moved to the RGV. In Mex now it is a pretty frequent option as well, but one I believe originated in northern Mex or the US. Chilaquiles, like tortilla soup, were meals meant to be able to consume old, going stale corn tortillas. Tortilla soup in Mexico, the traditional one, does not have chicken in it, only chicken stock as a base. It has tortilla strips, chunks of cheese and avocado and dried crumbly peppers, usually guajillos.

Using tortilla chips for chilaquiles I also think started in the US or norther Mex, because of the affinity for "totopos". I don't care for chilaquiles with tortilla chips, the Good Lord didn't intend them to be crunchy. Many foods out of the Tex-Mex gambit have jumped to Mexico as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, migas are uniquely regional. Outside of the chilango version (which is weird), I think it's only common in Tamaulipas and possibly Nuevo Leon.

I would venture that the Tex-Mex variety might be much better known than what I had growing up, regardless of which came first.
FIDO*98*
AG
Pretty amazing that a dish originated in Spain, travelled to Mexico, and made its way North into the US was finally perfected in a German town by a guy of Czech/UK descent. What a world
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Once again, Spanish migas are a different dish completely. They don't even have eggs.
FIDO*98*
AG
I should send my recipe to Spain and help them out
Smeghead4761
"Mas cerveza, por favor!"
concac
AG
All this bellyaching over some damn scrambled eggs.
redline248
AG
Am I the first one to say "chimichanga?" Cuz I'm gonna say chimichanga.

One time I went to a texmex place in Killeen and ordered beef enchiladas and the server, whom I knew, told me I was ordering like a white person.
agneck
Charro beans… At Lando's in Acuna the waters, they called them frijoles nasionales.
FIDO*98*
AG
A Chimichanga is one of the most white person things I can think of. Right up there with a Taco Salad or Chicken Quesadilla in things only whites eat in a Mexican Restaurant
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Queso.

Not to be confused with the greatness that is queso fundido.
jwoodmd
redline248 said:

Am I the first one to say "chimichanga?" Cuz I'm gonna say chimichanga.

One time I went to a texmex place in Killeen and ordered beef enchiladas and the server, whom I knew, told me I was ordering like a white person.
Hey, if she wants to order a chimichanga, well…..

FIDO*98*
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Queso.

Not to be confused with the greatness that is queso fundido.

Also not to be confused with the vile concoction of velveeta and rotel that trashy people call Queso
806aggie18
AG
Where in Southern Oregon? El Jalepeno in Klamath is one of my favorite burritos anywhere. Chili Colorado or chili verde are both excellent!
redline248
AG
At breakfast and thought this was relevant

And I ordered huevos con chorizo with corn tortillas
redline248
AG
FIDO*98* said:

A Chimichanga is one of the most white person things I can think of. Right up there with a Taco Salad or Chicken Quesadilla in things only whites eat in a Mexican Restaurant
If it makes you feel better I'm the only white person I know that will order menudo
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248 said:

At breakfast and thought this was relevant

And I ordered huevos con chorizo with corn tortillas

No cheese.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also I'd **** up some machacado right now. Ugh. Hungry.
The Dirty Sock
Let's be thankful we're not fighting over which is better: red or green enchiladas
ptothemo
AG
While we haven't been and aren't just yet, I have a sneaking suspicion that we are about to be.
jwoodmd
The Dirty Sock said:

Let's be thankful we're not fighting over which is better: red or green enchiladas
There is a time and place for both

TXAG 05
AG
The Dirty Sock said:

New Mexico mexican food is terrible
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jwoodmd said:

The Dirty Sock said:

There is a time and place for both

I've always preferred green enchiladas (suizas or verdes), and red chilaquiles. But I'll take either in both cases.
RGV AG
AG
My mom and dad served menudo and chilaquiles, made by my grandmother (although in CDMX it is called "pancita") at their "tornaboda" in 1963. Everyone white.
OasisMan
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Anything beyond that (cream, cheese, etc) is purely a Tex-Mex thing.
migas are also a popular tex-mex dish

and this version thankfully has cheese in them
OasisMan
AG
i usually go with either

fajitas
or molcajete
or torta
or parrillada
or their "street" tacos w/ al pastor or carne asada

much less frequently some enchilada plate
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
806aggie18 said:

Where in Southern Oregon? El Jalepeno in Klamath is one of my favorite burritos anywhere. Chili Colorado or chili verde are both excellent!

I'm in Eagle Point. We'll have to give it a shot! We don't make it over to Klamath that often though. Is that the same as Jalepenos Taco Shop?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.