What is your Mexican order?

13,011 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pinochet11
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Weslaco

Did you lose a bet?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I had the same confusion as you. I don't think I've ever made Migas without cheese, nor ordered or seen them without cheese, but I'm a gringo so what do I know.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Migas do NOT have cheese on them.

In Mexico, it's tortillas, onion, tomato, serrano, garlic, and eggs. Topped with salsa of choice.

Anything beyond that (cream, cheese, etc) is purely a Tex-Mex thing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
B-1 83 said:

Woah…….mole enchiladas enter the picture! The plot thickens.

Enmoladas are great. Whenever I make mole, I leave plenty of sauce for enmoladas the next day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Chilaquiles are chips cooked in a red salsa or salsa verde and sprinkled with Queso fresco. If they're topped with an egg it's usually fried. Green are more common with shredded chicken

And crema. Very important.

Chilaquiles and entomatadas are probably my favorite things to make for breakfast.
FIDO*98*
AG
Interesting. I've been to Mexico over a dozen times and never seen Migas on a menu anywhere we've been. I assumed they were Tex-Mex.
Bruce Almighty
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Interesting. I've been to Mexico over a dozen times and never seen Migas on a menu anywhere we've been. I assumed they were Tex-Mex.

It's actually Spanish. What's ironic is that Brian is giving you **** for making *******ized Tex-Mex version of a *******ized Mexican version of a Spanish dish.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They're mostly eaten in northern Mexico. Mexico City has their own weird version, as they tend to do.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In name only. Spanish migas are made with bread, it's not even the same dish really.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

In name only. Spanish migas are made with bread, it's not even the same dish really.

Do you know what *******ized means?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Countries are allowed to take another country's food and make it their own, unless it's America, and then its just wrong and cultural appropriation. Maybe Italy should stop making pasta since they stole it from China.
superunknown
AG
It's not Migas unless it comes from the Migas region in España. Otherwise its just sparkling eggs.
concac
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Migas do NOT have cheese on them.

In Mexico, it's tortillas, onion, tomato, serrano, garlic, and eggs. Topped with salsa of choice.

Anything beyond that (cream, cheese, etc) is purely a Tex-Mex thing.
So just scrambled eggs and Picante sauce eaten with tortillas.

Sht, even Taco Bell can't mess that up.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

They're literally different foods that happen to have the same name.

Hell, it's right at the top of Wikpedia even.

The same name is used for a different dish made from corn or flour tortillas in Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisines.
maroon barchetta
superunknown said:

It's not Migas unless it comes from the Migas region in España. Otherwise its just sparkling eggs.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

The same name is used for a different dish made from corn or flour tortillas in Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisines.
You are really stretching here. Mexicans didn't create some dish and give it a name that happens to be similar to a dish made in Spain. They took a Spanish dish and adapted it to local ingredients. There's nothing wrong with this, expect that when the US does it, people for whatever reason *****es about it and calls it unauthentic. Tex-Mex migas is Mexican migas adapted just like Mexican migas is adapted from the Spanish version.
GAC06
AG
And it's better with cheese
superunknown
AG
GAC06 said:

evergreen statement right here
coppellag82
AG
Two painters and a bricklayer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You are really stretching here. Mexicans didn't create some dish and give it a name that happens to be similar to a dish made in Spain. They took a Spanish dish and adapted it to local ingredients. There's nothing wrong with this, expect that when the US does it, people for whatever reason *****es about it and calls it unauthentic. Tex-Mex migas is Mexican migas adapted just like Mexican migas is adapted from the Spanish version.
What's your source on that?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Bingo.

I forgot about the Spanish migas until this thread reminded me of it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
GAC06 said:

Like I said, I'd eat it.

But if I'm going that way I'd much rather eat chilaquiles.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A better example of what I'm talking about.

Tortas in Spain:

Tortas in Mexico:
pdc093
Huevos Rancheros, all day.
bigfoot10s
AG
Chicken Fajita Nachos

Chicken Fajita Quesadillas

Sour cream chicken enchiladas
boy09
AG
Remind me to never go out to eat with you...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Uh, kay?
AustinCountyAg
the mexican order depends on the quality of the restaurant. If it is a place with homemade tortillas I will normally go with some kind of taco or carne guisada to be able to take advantage of the tortilla.

If the place has crap tortillas I will get a torta, or maybe cheese enchiladas.
maroon barchetta
AustinCountyAg said:

the mexican order depends on the quality of the restaurant. If it is a place with homemade tortillas I will normally go with some kind of taco or carne guisada to be able to take advantage of the tortilla.

If the place has crap tortillas I will get a torta, or maybe cheese enchiladas.

Truth.

If the tortillas are not quality it makes a difference in how you order.
Anchorhold
fajitas because I like to pay more to assemble my own food and too many idiots think onions are edible.
tandy miller
AG
dedos de pollo
BarKeep_03
AG
Molcajete

B-1 83
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Countries are allowed to take another country's food and make it their own, unless it's America, and then its just wrong and cultural appropriation. Maybe Italy should stop making pasta since they stole it from China.
For proof of that, look up "picadillo". The Cubans make some $&#@ed up stuff.*

*I'm sure they like it just fine.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
maroon barchetta
BarKeep_03 said:

Molcajete

FIDO*98*
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I wonder what would happen if they started making Sausage Kolache in the Czech Republic

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.