Who's given up on re-marrying?

24,407 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by george1992
LEJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fat te mire
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I've just given up on everything.
Ag_EE
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

I've just given up on everything.

Blissful apathy
gggmann
AG
I traded in for a 10 year newer model about 7 years ago. I'll probably do the same in another 4-5 years, but I'll just get a live-in instead of marrying.
BaitShack
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

We need some stories on the divorces. What happened and why did you split up so we can all learn from it.
The first one, a college study partner that led to...You know,
BaitShack
AG
Old RV Ag
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

We need some stories on the divorces. What happened and why did you split up so we can all learn from it.
Got a little story for you Ags. This one comes from a friend of mine who is also an Ag. He has this crazy step daughter who was married for 15 years and had some kids. She was worried the ex would remarry first and she also was a gold digger. She's a very pretty gal so she goes for the money and forgoes the looks and hooks up with this ugly guy. The guy has rich friends so the step daughter thinks he's rich which the ugly guy is playing it up as well. So, she "marries" him. Almost a year later she realizes he has no money and he was playing her. They decide to get a "divorce." It looks like he might actually come out on top in terms of money in a divorce.

Now, the kicker - the step daughter never filed the signed official marriage certificate. She had waited so she could find out how much she could take him for and verify he had as much money as she thought he did. So, they were never officially married and she just threw him out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
And I'm going to back this up one step and point out that if your friend never remarried, he wouldn't have a crazy step-daughter at all. Which is absolutely a win of not remarrying.
Duckhook
AG
NoahAg said:

I've rarely seen 2nd marriages turn out better that the first.

I'm going to raise my hand as the exception to the rule then. Got it right the 2nd time. She loves sports in general and Aggie football in particular!
Old RV Ag
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

And I'm going to back this up one step and point out that if your friend never remarried, he wouldn't have a crazy step-daughter at all. Which is absolutely a win of not remarrying.
Actually, it was my friend's first marriage. It was his wife's second. Now, I will agree that marrying someone with kids, then having step kids, etc., is something one needs to go in with a realistic view of what they're getting themselves into.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Hopefully both of their wills are squared away to his satisfaction, because this sounds like the kind of gal that will be angling for as much of his as she can if his wife passes before him. And if she has no will, intestate law in Texas is very beneficial to kids from a previous marriage (they get half of community property, which is basically half of everything if they've been married a long time).
Old RV Ag
AG
Duckhook said:

NoahAg said:

I'm going to raise my hand as the exception to the rule then. Got it right the 2nd time. She loves sports in general and Aggie football in particular!
That's great for you. He did say rarely - however, I've seen more than rarely be the case but it definitely isn't close to the majority.

The ones I will say are rare are the cases where one is having an affair and leaves their spouse to marry the one they are having the affair with. Usually, it ends with the new spouse being shocked that the other person has another affair and leaves them.
Old RV Ag
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Hopefully both of their wills are squared away to his satisfaction, because this sounds like the kind of gal that will be angling for as much of his as she can if his wife passes before him. And if she has no will, intestate law in Texas is very beneficial to kids from a previous marriage (they get half of community property, which is basically half of everything if they've been married a long time).
I'm not worried about him. He's got a good set of lawyers for his company and personal stuff. He's pretty savvy and really doesn't have any real relation with the crazy step daughter.
BanderaAg956
38 years in, could have been divorced 2-3 times! Life and marriage are tough!
diablo loco
Statistics are worse the second time around. I'm having a blast in my 40s single. I read an article after my divorce that some guys rush into the second. I almost became this statistic but luckily wised up. I got really close to remarrying a high maintenance alcoholic mess but ejected thankfully. Maybe some day but would include prenup. I like the idea of dating through my 40s. Long term gf is more likely. That's like a quasi marriage anyway without the legal hassle I think a lot of successful guys that have been burned are wising up. The marriage system isn't your friend. Much easier to break up with a girl friend. I do run into a lot of women in their 40s that are clearly looking to drop anchor. Those are usually fun/short term flings and then move on.
trouble
AG
BaitShack said:

Child support recently ended. 2 kids in college. One at A&M mostly paid by Hazlewood. The other at Blinn on scholarships. Right now I'm focusing everything "extra" on the Dave Ramsey plan. In the last six months I've cut my debt in half.

I can't believe those little babies are in college.
trouble
AG
I don't think I could go for #3. The first was over 14 years and the divorce nearly killed me.

Current is almost 9 years and I'm still happier than I've been in decades. If something happens to him, I'm staying single.
wbt5845
AG
trouble said:

I don't think I could go for #3. The first was over 14 years and the divorce nearly killed me.

Current is almost 9 years and I'm still happier than I've been in decades. If something happens to him, I'm staying single.

Two's your limit anyway
Biz Ag
AG
histag10 said:

JMac03 said:

But you can still totally date. Yesterday I booked a Cancun vacation for a 77 and 83 year old bf/gf. How cute is THAT!

Super cute! I mean, given that neither of them are currently married...

It would be more interesting if they were each married to someone else.
Blue Bell Ag
AG
Duckhook said:

NoahAg said:

I married an Aggie the second time around. She loves Aggie football and basketball. And that, has made all the difference between no.1 and number 2. We've been married for 27 yers.
aggie_fan13
AG
cold & calculated, sociopath
Old RV Ag
AG
azulAg said:

cold & calculated, sociopath
aggie_fan13
AG
It boggles my mind how anybody man or woman could do that to someone. But I have heard many a tells about gold diggers
dcAg
I was married for quite a long time. As a previous poster stated it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders although it would have been good to wait a couple of years when my kids were off to college. Now they are seniors in college and everything is pretty good.

Dated A LOT when I was first divorce and now have been with a lady for 5 years or so. She is 8+ years younger than me and we each have our own house. See each other about 4-5 times a week and travel together quite a bit. Why would we change that?
tehmackdaddy
AG
I was married for twelve years. Had four daughters. Three of them are now teenagers and I don't really have the time, energy, or patience to date, though I have tried a few times.

I can't say I won't ever get remarried, but at this point it wouldn't surprise me if I didn't, though I never know what God has in store for me.. Divorce and the aftermath took too much out of me and I have always been very content by myself.
Ragoo
AG
Married
Not divorced
No desire to become divorce
If I were to find myself single again I wouldn't even consider dating let alone remarrying.
TexasRebel
AG
Re?
CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP
Ragoo said:

Married
Not divorced
If I were to find myself single again I wouldn't even consider dating let alone remarrying.

So, you'd just....whack it a lot, or pay for it? Sounds miserable.
Ragoo
AG
CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP said:

Ragoo said:

Married
Not divorced

nah. If life were to arrive at that point for me then sex would not be anywhere near my mind or motivation for the rest of my life.
EFE
AG
Different strokes and what not. Once my ish was final, I was rutted up harder than a puppy with two peckers.
CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP
Ragoo said:

CHOCOLATE CHIP TRIP said:

Ragoo said:

Married
Not divorced

nah. If life were to arrive at that point for me then sex would not be anywhere near my mind or motivation for the rest of my life.

I'm glad I am not you.
Ragoo
AG
EFE said:

Different strokes and what not. Once my ish was final, I was rutted up harder than a puppy with two peckers.
if I were single tomorrow chairing rail would be the last thing on my mind. Spending as much time with my kids and taking care of them would be #1 then establishing myself as just me #2.

I'd would also be spending the rest of my free time trying to get to IM Kona.
City Dumme
So you'd become gay or something?
Ragoo
AG
City Dumme said:

So you'd become gay or something?
certainly wouldn't bang my MIL
NRH ag 10
AG
Married for 4 years, found out she was cheating on me, said I wanted to reconcile (and meant it) because of my faith, she was really ****ty and led me on for a few months before i finally asked her if she meant her vows or was FOS. Turns out she was FOS and had cheated on every guy she'd ever been in a relationship with.

I will get married again, because I know I can look a woman in they eye, say "I do" to vows, and mean it. Already looking like that will happen with my girlfriend. I might have a different opinion if there were kids involved or I was older.

Moral of the story: cheating pieces of **** seem to remain cheating pieces of ***** Don't marry unfaithful cowards.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.