GB- solve America's gun violence issue

23,636 Views | 254 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by hph6203
aggieforester05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Say what you will about Trump, I don't care, but you can't deny that Democrats are lying scum bags.
P.C. Principal
Seven said:

We should ban killing other people.
Ha ha. Hilarious comment, dude. Never heard this one before. How do you come up with such clever and witty material?
MooreTrucker
AG
Potcake said:

Well, this thread pretty quickly turned into a Forum 16 thread.
You CAN'T be surprised.
Dad
AG
aggieforester05 said:

That would be safer than a society where the only people in the gun free zones are the crazy criminals who don't care about the gun laws.

It's what we need. No gun free zones unless it is a police station or the president is nearby or certain other rare exceptions and we need to encourage decent people to carry.
MooreTrucker
AG
True Anomaly said:

MooreTrucker said:

Figure out a way to solve the MENTAL HEALTH problem and the rest will take care of itself. Get people help instead of ignoring/glorifying their illnesses.

As a start- special tax on gun purchases that goes directly to expanding mental health hospitals/facilities/etc
Only if there was a guarantee that the tax would be used for that instead of being routed somewhere else. Kinda like the Tx Lottery was supposed to be for education, then ends up in the general fund because Ma Richards was a lying Dem like all the rest of them.
aggieforester05
AG
MooreTrucker said:

True Anomaly said:

MooreTrucker said:

Figure out a way to solve the MENTAL HEALTH problem and the rest will take care of itself. Get people help instead of ignoring/glorifying their illnesses.

As a start- special tax on gun purchases that goes directly to expanding mental health hospitals/facilities/etc
Only if there was a guarantee that the tax would be used for that instead of being routed somewhere else. Kinda like the Tx Lottery was supposed to be for education, then ends up in the general fund because Ma Richards was a lying Dem like all the rest of them.
It would probably end up funding gun control efforts.
Old Tom Morris
The only thing you can be guaranteed of is that it would be spent in the most ineffective way possible to deal with mental illness.
Joe Exotic
AG
Ragoo said:

RealTalk said:

Yeah you say all of that but if I was to give you a choice between a pistol and an AR, you would definitely pick the AR without hesitation.
the AR, or rifles in general, allow the bad guy to dissociate themselves from their victims. A pistol would require closer combat. Not what a coward wants to face.

The Virginia Tech shooter didn't get that memo. He used a pistol to kill 33 and wound 23. Columbine was carried out with a pistol and sawed off shotgun.

The AR is a boogeyman and deaths resulting from it are statistically insignificant.
P.C. Principal
TSUAggie said:

The question needs to be how do we stop any and all violence, not just 'gun violence'. If these guys don't have guns, they will just find some other way to carry out their evil intentions. Some people are just ****ed up in the head.
This dodges the issue, though. You're basically saying "well they'll commit crimes anyway so let's not even try." We all know that they use guns because guns are more efficient. If the El Paso guy walked into Walmart with a knife he wouldnt have caused near as much damage and you know it.

Gun violence is a huge problem in the US. I cannot believe we still have a large contingent of people acting like this isn't the case. Most gun control measures probably won't work because there are already as many guns as there are people in the country and the cat is way out of the bag.

We still dont know all the facts about the latest mass shootings du jour so I wont speculate yet. But I do remember the Sutherland Springs church shooter had red flags all over the place but it was somehow glossed over when he bought his gun at Academy. Wtf? Are we not enforcing the background check laws already on the books? Maybe that's a good place to start with harsh penalties for gun vendors who bypass them. Also step up the penalties for anyone who commits a crime with a gun regardless if people were shot.

And mental health. We still treat it like a joke and not a very serious public health issue. Lots of money needs to go into funding proper mental health treatment in the US.

Also is forum 16 seriously arguing that the El Paso shooter wasn't driven by white nationalism? Jesus Christ, the mental gymnastics. Why is it so hard to condemn white nationalism and say it is an evil disgusting movement?
Old RV Ag
AG
Bo Darville said:

Ragoo said:

RealTalk said:

Yeah you say all of that but if I was to give you a choice between a pistol and an AR, you would definitely pick the AR without hesitation.
the AR, or rifles in general, allow the bad guy to dissociate themselves from their victims. A pistol would require closer combat. Not what a coward wants to face.

The Virginia Tech shooter didn't get that memo. He used a pistol to kill 33 and wound 23. Columbine was carried out with a pistol and sawed off shotgun.

The AR is a boogeyman and deaths resulting from it are statistically insignificant.
I'm not for making the AR the issue, but, you seriously need to rethink saying something like that.
MooreTrucker
AG
P.C. Principal said:

TSUAggie said:

The question needs to be how do we stop any and all violence, not just 'gun violence'. If these guys don't have guns, they will just find some other way to carry out their evil intentions. Some people are just ****ed up in the head.
This dodges the issue, though. You're basically saying "well they'll commit crimes anyway so let's not even try." We all know that they use guns because guns are more efficient. If the El Paso guy walked into Walmart with a knife he wouldnt have caused near as much damage and you know it.

Gun violence is a huge problem in the US. I cannot believe we still have a large contingent of people acting like this isn't the case. Most gun control measures probably won't work because there are already as many guns as there are people in the country and the cat is way out of the bag.

We still dont know all the facts about the latest mass shootings du jour so I wont speculate yet. But I do remember the Sutherland Springs church shooter had red flags all over the place but it was somehow glossed over when he bought his gun at Academy. Wtf? Are we not enforcing the background check laws already on the books? Maybe that's a good place to start with harsh penalties for gun vendors who bypass them. Also step up the penalties for anyone who commits a crime with a gun regardless if people were shot.

And mental health. We still treat it like a joke and not a very serious public health issue. Lots of money needs to go into funding proper mental health treatment in the US.

Also is forum 16 seriously arguing that the El Paso shooter wasn't driven by white nationalism? Jesus Christ, the mental gymnastics. Why is it so hard to condemn white nationalism and say it is an evil disgusting movement?
A registered Dem AND a white nationalist? Does such an animal even exist? Not according to most Dems.

Anybody saying we don't have a problem is full of dung, but gun control which has been proven NOT to work is not the answer.

The bolded statement is absolutely the answer, and would solve MANY more problems than just gun violence.
Eric Forman
AG
Necessity is the mother of invention. If not guns, something else will rise to take the place of that tool. The gun isn't the inspiration of the act, just the means. If someone means to kill in greater numbers, they'll find a way.
MooreTrucker
AG
UncoverAg00 said:

Necessity is the mother of invention. If not guns, something else will rise to take the place of that tool. The gun isn't the inspiration of the act, just the means. If someone means to kill in greater numbers, they'll find a way.
As someone mentioned above, McVeigh used fertilizer. The Boston marathon killers used a homemade bomb. Change the term from "mass shooting" to "mass killings" changes the whole conversation, and takes gun control out of it.
P.C. Principal
People use guns because they are the most effective and efficient. Guess they could make homemade bombs but that would require a lot more effort. Guns are designed to kill and some guns are designed to kill efficiently. Not a hard concept. Knife attacks happen but there's a reason they almost never compare to gun massacres.

There are obviously a lot of factors at play but it's disturbing the lengths people go to and ridiculous excuses people make to attempt to say we don't have a gun violence problem.
Joe Exotic
AG
Old RV Ag said:

Bo Darville said:

Ragoo said:

RealTalk said:

I'm not for making the AR the issue, but, you seriously need to rethink saying something like that.

It's true. If we are going to discuss this we don't need to shy away from the truth. In the most recent data gathered by the FBI regarding homocides only 2% were carried out with rifles of any type, not just AR's.
Eric Forman
AG
Just because you declare your opinion to be true doesn't make it so. While a gun may be efficient, it's arguable what constitutes efficiency. For example, is one bullet per kill efficient? Perhaps, but would not a single blast killing multitudes in an instant where the perpetrators are not in the area also a measure of efficiency? This could be argued all day in this regard. The efficiency of a gun isn't a superior argument no matter how much you want it to be. Gun control is a fruitless measure. It's like Chevy Chase trying to plug the leak at the dam.
Ragoo
AG
Bo Darville said:

Old RV Ag said:

Bo Darville said:

Ragoo said:

RealTalk said:

It's true. If we are going to discuss this we don't need to shy away from the truth. In the most recent data gathered by the FBI regarding homocides only 2% were carried out with rifles of any type, not just AR's.
you are using the broad brush of homicide to engage in conversation about a specific type of homicide.
Joe Exotic
AG
Rifles accounted for only 3% of all firearms deaths. That's all rifles, not use AR's.

The point remains.
UTExan
Have arranged marriages at 15/16.

All that sexual frustration/sublimation goes away and parents support the couple/family until they can get decent jobs/finish school. It will probably also have the desired effect of reducing gender studies programs. And it will increase the birth rate.
Old Tom Morris
Seems like he was a racist democrat. The list of racist democrats before him is extremely long. Quite frankly, it's probably the longest list that has ever existed in American politics.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Mental health is certainly a key factor but hypothetically did the El Paso shooter have red flags that demanded attention? I mean if he publishes hate speech but doesn't make eminent threats then do we want the government to do surveillance of his calls, texts, internet use? Do we want to force him to do a psychological evaluation - he probably thought his ideas were rational and probably never would voluntarily seek help. If we find him disturbed but he isn't making specific threats do we hospitalize him involuntarily? It's easy to look into the rear view mirror at shooter X but how invasive do we want the government to get? Of course in general a lot can and should be done to improve mental health but there is a slippery slope and hard discussions of how much aggressive reach we want to take on those who we deem are hate filled.
I do wish K-12 teachers could carry concealed at work to enable them to protect THEMSELVES. I'd push it as female empowerment to undermine the left.
Slicer97
AG
We don't have a gun violence issue. We have a violence issue. And an untreated mental health issue. More gun control won't prevent it.

You think a lot of people have been killed by crazies. That number will pale in comparison to what will happen if the Second Amendment is repealed.

2A is the reason you have the other 9.
chipotle
Well? Did we solve this? Can we go on to the homosexual problem now?
Slicer97
AG
What homosexual problem? You some kinda judgemental bigot?
Rutedown
This thread was like chum to the sharks. Prepare for the extreme views
Joe Exotic
AG
Rutedown said:

What do you consider "extreme"?
babyshark
chimpanzee
Everyone sees their same old agenda whenever anything comes around. Every problem looks like a nail, etc.

We have people in our midst that feel justified in taking as many innocent lives as they can, so they use the most efficient means to do so that they have at their disposal. Take away that method and there are fifty more, take away those fifty and you'll just have a generation of disaffected losers sitting on their couches in your utopia? It's not going to work out that way. These guys are no different than the AQ types submerging their fragile psyches in media that nurses their grievances until they snap.

I'm not sure why they are flaring up lately, but if only a gun on a shelf in a store can turn on this kind of idea inside a head, they are way more powerful than the most ardent confiscator gives them credit.
Carlo4
AG
Time to break up Apple/Google/Twitter/etc and severely limit Social media.... except Texags..

Internet can't decide if the El Paso shooter leaned left or right, to which internet fights have broken out everywhere. what ever happened to crazy?

Also, I freak out when I'm recommended a razor minutes after verbally discussing/adding to the shopping list with the fianc. Lord knows what they recommend to crazies that talk about mass shootings out loud near their devices. Do they recommend a gun?
V8Aggie
AG
Easy - stop promoting victimhood and encourage community, family and recognizing your self worth even if things aren't going your way.
Beer Baron
AG
Bo Darville said:

Rutedown said:

For starters, that post a couple above yours calling for arranged marriages of 15 year olds. That seemed kind of weird.
TPS_Report
AG
PDEMDHC said:

Time to break up Apple/Google/Twitter/etc and severely limit Social media.... except Texags..

Internet can't decide if the El Paso shooter leaned left or right, to which internet fights have broken out everywhere. what ever happened to crazy?

Also, I freak out when I'm recommended a razor minutes after verbally discussing/adding to the shopping list with the fianc. Lord knows what they recommend to crazies that talk about mass shootings out loud near their devices. Do they recommend a gun?
I think crazy is more in line for the Dayton coward.

The El Paso coward was a straight up radical nationalist.
who?mikejones
AG
TPS_Report said:

PDEMDHC said:

I think crazy is more in line for the Dayton coward.

The El Paso coward was a straight up radical nationalist.

He was a straight up actual nazi as far as i can tell.
MooreTrucker
AG
Beer Baron said:

Bo Darville said:

Rutedown said:

For starters, that post a couple above yours calling for arranged marriages of 15 year olds. That seemed kind of weird.
This is the General Board, right?
Beer Baron
AG
Yeah but based on that guy's posts on R&P I think it was serious.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.