Toddler falls off a cruise ship to the dock below

23,406 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Trucker 96
JoeAggie5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
yes after seeing the video the grandpa is clearly at fault and an idiot
Reload8098
AG
The level of stupidity and accompanying guilt I think would result in most people killing themselves. I'd probably do it with alcohol (and I hardly drink). The excuse he came up with is keeping him from being honest with himself and accepting the full responsibility. Once he knows his adult child KNOWS he's at fault that may lead him to his demise or he may stay in his cowardly state of denial.
Fairview
AG
If you were in the parents shoes how would you feel? I couldn't imagine the emotions of a grandparent losing your child. If it was a true accident it would be hard enough but after seeing the video I don't know what I'd do. In this case I don't think the grandfather meant for it to happen but he was acting very stupid. It's like giving a gun to a toddler and calling it an accident when the kid shoots himself.

The PR government is charging him with negligent homicide but the parents don't want the charges filed.
agdaddy04
AG
Has it talked anywhere about how long he's been part of the family?
Ragoo
AG
agdaddy04 said:

oh yeah. He is a step. Yikes.
Reload8098
AG
Fairview said:

If you were in the parents shoes how would you feel? I couldn't imagine the emotions of a grandparent losing your child. If it was a true accident it would be hard enough but after seeing the video I don't know what I'd do. In this case I don't think the grandfather meant for it to happen but he was acting very stupid. It's like giving a gun to a toddler and calling it an accident when the kid shoots himself.

The PR government is charging him with negligent homicide but the parents don't want the charges filed.
Everyone obviously has their own opinion on this buy if the parents of the deceased child don't want him prosecuted and it obviously wasn't deliberate IMO you don't jail him. It just serves ZERO purpose. Flame away.
Texas_Aggie_12
AG
Reload8098 said:

Fairview said:

Everyone obviously has their own opinion on this buy if the parents of the deceased child don't want him prosecuted and it obviously wasn't deliberate IMO you don't jail him. It just serves ZERO purpose. Flame away.

The purpose it serves could be to deter someone that may want to harm their child in the future, from "accidentally" dropping them ten stories out of window. I think this guy is an idiot and didn't do this intentionally, but when there is injury or death there must be consequences.
Reload8098
AG
Texas_Aggie_12 said:

Reload8098 said:

Fairview said:

The purpose it serves could be to deter someone that may want to harm their child in the future, from "accidentally" dropping them ten stories out of window. I think this guy is an idiot and didn't do this intentionally, but when there is injury or death there must be consequences.
Yeah, I thought about that it too and it's a totally valid point and concern. I'm looking at this as there has to be some gray area and maybe this falls into the gray area. I'm still not 100% sure of my opinion. It could change. The fact that he lied causes me to reconsider. Did he think his actions were reckless or just trying to not accept the blame and have the rest of his family hate him? Does a precedent become set anytime a parent picks up a child? A friend of mine set his 6 month old on the center island in the kitchen. He turned for 5 seconds to grab something and she rolled off onto the tile floor. Miraculously she wasn't hurt but what if she had bee should he have been jailed? I think it's a legitimate question. A lot to consider.
agdaddy04
AG
I think the reason it needs to be investigated is if there's a chance at all that he did it intentionally. I get that chance is probably small, but we've seen people be capable of terrible acts.
Ragoo
AG
Reload8098 said:

Texas_Aggie_12 said:

Reload8098 said:

Fairview said:

Yeah, I thought about that it too and it's a totally valid point and concern. I'm looking at this as there has to be some gray area and maybe this falls into the gray area. I'm still not 100% sure of my opinion. It could change. The fact that he lied causes me to reconsider. Did he think his actions were reckless or just trying to not accept the blame and have the rest of his family hate him? Does a precedent become set anytime a parent picks up a child? A friend of mine set his 6 month old on the center island in the kitchen. He turned for 5 seconds to grab something and she rolled off onto the tile floor. Miraculously she wasn't hurt but what if she had bee should he have been jailed? I think it's a legitimate question. A lot to consider.
your response to crisis matters. Your friend probably wouldn't have been a coward about their own child being injured. This man was and has been a coward from the start about the death of a step grandchild. That is criminal behavior.
TXAG 05
AG
What is a trial going to do other than force the parents to relive the event over and over again. Not going to bring the baby back. That guy already has the worst sentence you can get,has to live the rest of his life knowing that he killed his grandchild because he's an idiot.
SidetrackAg
AG
Ragoo said:

agdaddy04 said:

oh yeah. He is a step. Yikes.
I did not know this
OnlyForNow
AG
It's going to exonerate Royal Caribbean, which at this point they deserve.

They likely won't seek monetary retribution, but will potentially get a forced apology from the family and news outlets, which is all it's about now.
Reload8098
AG
Ragoo said:

Reload8098 said:

Texas_Aggie_12 said:

Reload8098 said:

Fairview said:

your response to crisis matters. Your friend probably wouldn't have been a coward about their own child being injured. This man was and has been a coward from the start about the death of a step grandchild. That is criminal behavior.

Solid point and I agree.
SidetrackAg
AG
The family disagrees with the CCTV footage

Girl's family: 'Impossible' to lean from cruise ship window
culdeus
AG
If you can't lean over how do you throw a kid out of it?
trueaggie2782
AG
They're grasping at straws to try to make some cash. I'm guessing these people feel they can put a price on their daughter's life. I'm sure RC has carefully selected video that doesn't actually show the girl falling out as that would be even more gruesome than it already is.
Reload8098
AG
trueaggie2782 said:

They're grasping at straws to try to make some cash. I'm guessing these people feel they can put a price on their daughter's life. I'm sure RC has carefully selected video that doesn't actually show the girl falling out as that would be even more gruesome than it already is.

You may be right but my gut tells me they are just trying to deflect blame on anyone besides a family member (step grandpa). My gosh the grief.
agz win
AG
Grandpa now pleads guilty since he was offered no jail time or probation. Family suit against cruise company will continue.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/us/toddler-cruise-ship-death-grandfather-guilty-plea/index.html
Trucker 96
agz win said:

Grandpa now pleads guilty since he was offered no jail time or probation. Family suit against cruise company will continue.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/us/toddler-cruise-ship-death-grandfather-guilty-plea/index.html
Yes, the cruiseline should be sued because they don't immediately put every moron that boards the ship in a completely enclosed box with a lock on it so that they can't dangle their kid off the side of the ship
Dread Pirate Roberts
agz win said:

Seems weird to plead guilty and still sue the company.
Trucker 96
Seems weird to dangle your grandkid out of a window for a long time where it dies if you drop it, yet here we are.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.