Toddler falls off a cruise ship to the dock below

23,433 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Trucker 96
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LEJ said:

Ghost91 said:

The statement by the cruise line is pretty harsh, though - "grandfather is the reason that chloe is no longer with her parents". Yikes.

He made a terrible decision which directly led to the death of his grandchild. Instead of accepting responsibility, he lied about the circumstances, blamed his grandkid's death on the cruise line, and then attempted extortion.
many times the lie is worse than the action. Had he just owned up to his mistake the family could have grieved and he would have had to live with the hole in his soul. Now it has been made worse by trying to get financial compensation to cover his mistake. He should rot in prison for the rest of his days.
agdaddy04
AG
Did the family think there wouldn't be video?
CrottyKid
AG
Yes. It would be telling to see what he does after he comes away from that window.
vin1041
AG
Sad
pdc093
agdaddy04 said:

Right?
There's cameras in PLAIN VIEW all over cruise ships!
That's DAMNING, indisputable evidence of EXACTLY what happened.
I have no issue with the wording of that statement by RC.
Ags4DaWin
JoeAggie5 said:

Some of y'all must not have kids,or forgotten what it's like to have little ones. Their daughter was 18 months old, kids are CRAZY busy at that age and climb EVERYTHING. Whether that was a kids area or not, if it's accessible to anyone on the cruise then there should be some sort of barrier. Windows should only be able to be opened by staff. Hell a chair could of been slid over there by someone or even the toddler, she climbs up in 3 seconds and falls out.

Grandfather sets her on railing (dumb move) a couple of windows over, gets distracted by another grandkid, tit-tays, etc kid walks down "railing" and falls out, takes a few seconds. Cruise ships shouldn't be set up for that to be able to happen.

People don't always sue for money, but if you don't think that EVERY cruise line is reviewing how to make it impossible or less likely for this to happen again now that a lawsuit has been filed makes any of you thinking this is just about money as delusional as you claim these parents ae.

This did not age well.

video shows gramps power lifting her off the floor and dangling her out the window.

willing to bet he lied because he was so distraught at what he had done and mom and dad believed it. should have just come clean.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
All those people around and no one saw anything or reacted when it happened?

After he dropped her did he just nonchalantly turn around and go about his business as if nothing happened?

I can't imagine that situation without the grandparent doesn't immediately shriek in horror, drawing massive attention.....unless he's just a cold, calculating, selfish SOB.
91_Aggie
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

JoeAggie5 said:

Some of y'all must not have kids,or forgotten what it's like to have little ones. Their daughter was 18 months old, kids are CRAZY busy at that age and climb EVERYTHING. Whether that was a kids area or not, if it's accessible to anyone on the cruise then there should be some sort of barrier. Windows should only be able to be opened by staff. Hell a chair could of been slid over there by someone or even the toddler, she climbs up in 3 seconds and falls out.

Grandfather sets her on railing (dumb move) a couple of windows over, gets distracted by another grandkid, tit-tays, etc kid walks down "railing" and falls out, takes a few seconds. Cruise ships shouldn't be set up for that to be able to happen.

People don't always sue for money, but if you don't think that EVERY cruise line is reviewing how to make it impossible or less likely for this to happen again now that a lawsuit has been filed makes any of you thinking this is just about money as delusional as you claim these parents ae.

This did not age well.

video shows gramps power lifting her off the floor and dangling her out the window.

willing to bet he lied because he was so distraught at what he had done and mom and dad believed it. should have just come clean.

If you are on a cruise taking toddlers and.infants then you most likely 100% white.trash. of course you made mistakes in your life and are looking for a payout.over this tragedy
Texasclipper
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

After he dropped her did he just nonchalantly turn around and go about his business as if nothing happened?

I can't imagine that situation without the grandparent doesn't immediately shriek in horror, drawing massive attention.....unless he's just a cold, calculating, selfish SOB.
This version of the video shows that massive attention did take place. Everyone rushes to the railing.

Fairview
AG
pdc093 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Right?

I was wondering if maybe the parents just believed the grandfather and were shocked to see the new video released until I saw their response to the video release. Trying to get the video dismissed and pulled from public record shows they are in it for the money and not the truth.
Reload8098
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Quote:

"Essentially her grandfather lifts her up and puts her on a railing and where thinks that there is glass there because it's clear, but it turns out there was no glass there," attorney, Michael Winkleman, said Tuesday.
Still points to being the grandfather's fault, and not being very smart.
Yep, that's really some serious dumbassery. Tragic.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Texasclipper said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

This version of the video shows that massive attention did take place. Everyone rushes to the railing.

Thanks for sharing that.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Grandpa is drunk is my guess. Playing with kid, wants to sit them up on the rail that's by the window. He lets go and the kid goes.

~eogn
Ghost91
Fairview said:

pdc093 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Right?

I was wondering if maybe the parents just believed the grandfather and were shocked to see the new video released until I saw their response to the video release. Trying to get the video dismissed and pulled from public record shows they are in it for the money and not the truth.

Exactly. What does "remove this from the public record" even mean? Like it's going to magically disappear from the public domain once it's out?

Basically saying, "we don't like the evidence of what really happened, and are respectfully asking that it not exist in our universe".
Post removed:
by user
spud1910
AG
third coast.. said:

I cant watch that. Had to stop it the second he picked the little girl up.
Yeah, I got no further either. That is heartbreaking.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Grandpa is guilty af or at the very least negligent af.

Then gets on TV and lies about it all (that's a great attorney he has btw who allowed him to do that).
BigDawg87
AG
Apparently, the video has been known since last November. Their lawyer's response was/is even more amazing:

"There was a railing about a foot from the windows, Michael Winkleman, the Wiegand family's attorney said. The surveillance video appears to show Anello look over the railing for one second.

He then reaches down, picks Chloe up and appears to hold her over the railing. Winkleman said Anello didn't realize there was no glass directly in front of him. Within five seconds Chloe falls more than 100 feet below.

"She's sitting on the wooden banister, why did he then lean forward with her?" Begnaud asked Winkleman.
"I think it's pretty obvious why they leaned forward, and that would be so that you could get a better view," Winkleman said.

"What do you say to the fact that he raised her and put her on this banister which the cruise line might argue was not meant for young children to be sitting on?" Begnaud asked.

"If that was the case and they want no one to sit on it, they should say no one should sit on it. There's no sign that says that. There's no warning, no nothing," Winkleman said"
Dr. Doctor
AG

Side view of the window/railing.
Reload8098
AG
So this moron put that poor little girl on the other side of the rail?! I'll bet he was drinking or he could be the average irresponsible adult who I see at 1:00 am in Walmart with a 2 year old. It's just sickening. I'm sure he is in a depressed state and wishes he could change his actions but it won't bring that poor little thing back.
Mort Rainey
The only proper response to dropping your grandchild out of a cruiseship window is to jump out after her. I'm serious. Maybe you get a miracle and she survives the initial impact, (unlikely, but if it happens you can make an attempt to swim to her). If she dies, and you survive the impact, make sure to drown yourself. Then at least you go out like a hero and people probably end up overlooking your stupidity.

What you can't do is keep yourself safe on the ship while the little girl you were in charge of dies because of you. How can you possibly face her parents? If she dies, you die too.

And what you REALLY can't do is lie for months and blame it on someone else.
Ag9701
AG
I don't think she fell in the water iirc. I think she fell to the deck below.
Fairview
AG
Correct. They were at port in San Juan (why he's being charged there criminally). She landed on a concrete pier after a 10 story fall.
Mort Rainey
Fairview said:

Correct. They were at port in San Juan (why he's being charged there criminally). She landed on a concrete pier after a 10 story fall.

Jesus H. Then you definitely jump
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ragoo said:

LEJ said:

Ghost91 said:

The statement by the cruise line is pretty harsh, though - "grandfather is the reason that chloe is no longer with her parents". Yikes.

He made a terrible decision which directly led to the death of his grandchild. Instead of accepting responsibility, he lied about the circumstances, blamed his grandkid's death on the cruise line, and then attempted extortion.
many times the lie is worse than the action. Had he just owned up to his mistake the family could have grieved and he would have had to live with the hole in his soul. Now it has been made worse by trying to get financial compensation to cover his mistake. He should rot in prison for the rest of his days.

If he had an ounce of decency he'd kill himself.
nai06
AG
Mabel Choate said:

Fairview said:

Sorry just trying to understand this line of thinking. A child falls 10 stories and you would jump after them? How does that help anyone?
Post removed:
by user
Mort Rainey
nai06 said:

Mabel Choate said:

Fairview said:

Sorry just trying to understand this line of thinking. A child falls 10 stories and you would jump after them? How does that help anyone?

You sound like the kind of guy who would lie about cruise ship windows
nai06
AG
Mabel Choate said:

nai06 said:

Mabel Choate said:

Fairview said:

That's a weirdly random personal attack. This is obviously personal to you for some reason.
Reload8098
AG
Mabel Choate said:

nai06 said:

Mabel Choate said:

Fairview said:

You would never be able to catch, turn and be able to absorb the blow for the child. Not nearly
enough falling distance. Wouldn't matter, you'd both be dead anyway. Too bad it didn't happen at sea then there's a least a small chance. Don't know how the family survives this.
Unemployed
AG
nai06 said:

Mabel Choate said:

Fairview said:

Dude thinks he's Superman and can fly.
sawthemoffxx
Jump out after her? In the case of a small miracle and the kid survives, then you've likely worsened their odds by falling on top of them or distracting medical attention because then you'd be dead.

The absolute lack of common sense for some people is incredible.
randy828
AG
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
pdc093
As stated above....

Quote:

...you'd both be dead
How ANYONE (who committed such an impulsive, dangerous act that caused the death of a family member, much less a BABY), would WANT to live after, is BEYOND my comprehension.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

The only proper response to dropping your grandchild out of a cruiseship window is to jump out after her
Yeah, I don't know how I would be able to go on if I killed a child or grandchild. Dear God.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.