Toddler falls off a cruise ship to the dock below

23,216 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Trucker 96
Texasclipper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://nypost.com/2019/07/09/family-of-tot-who-fell-to-death-on-cruise-denies-grandfather-dropped-her/

Such a tragedy, but it appears the family has lawyered up quickly...
Stat Monitor Repairman
He said the little girl went to knock on the large windows as she would've at one of her brother's hockey games and the "next thing you know, she's gone."

I blame the brother for playing hockey.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Tatem
C@LAg said:

People who take infants on cruise ships....

Agree, the thought of this scares me
monarch
S
Wasnt the grand father supposed to be watching the kid?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Got distracted looking at tit-tays.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Tatem said:

C@LAg said:

Agree, the thought of this scares me

We waited until our youngest was 10 before taking them on their first cruise because of the thought of things like this.
MooreTrucker
AG
Quote:

"Essentially her grandfather lifts her up and puts her on a railing and where thinks that there is glass there because it's clear, but it turns out there was no glass there," attorney, Michael Winkleman, said Tuesday.
Still points to being the grandfather's fault, and not being very smart.
ac04
i don't believe his version at all
toucan82
I don't know. After walking into a glass door at work a couple of dozen times, I started assuming there was always glass wherever I was going.
Shakes the Clown
Would it be ironic if the Dad's last name was Cruz?
Texasclipper
AG
Those windows are tinted and not "clear". They are also covered in salt. Its very hard to believe he thought the window was closed.

We did take our 4 year old on a Disney cruise, but we didn't hold him up on top of the railing.
Post removed:
by user
Tobias Funke
AG
Shakes the Clown said:

Would it be ironic if the Dad's last name was Cruz?

This isn't funny at all. Not like "not funny because it's in poor taste"... it's just not a good joke. Not clever. Try again.
Tobias Funke
AG
Boy you'd think they could've found a better picture of the grandpa than one of him holding a fish in one hand over the edge of a boat, though
aglaohfour
AG
Cutie!! And I love that dress!
babyshark
C@LAg said:

People who think 1 year olds are infants
DannyDuberstein
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Boy you'd think they could've found a better picture of the grandpa than one of him holding a fish in one hand over the edge of a boat, though

I'd say they couldn't have found a better picture
toucan82
Damn pirates
Ghost91
Quote:

"Essentially her grandfather lifts her up and puts her on a railing and where thinks that there is glass there because it's clear, but it turns out there was no glass there,"

This makes no sense. I've heard of "I thought there was NO glass there because it was so clear", but never heard of "I thought there was glass there because, you know, it was so invisible".
Texasclipper
AG
Ghost91 said:

Quote:

"Essentially her grandfather lifts her up and puts her on a railing and where thinks that there is glass there because it's clear, but it turns out there was no glass there,"

This makes no sense. I've heard of "I thought there was NO glass there because it was so clear", but never heard of "I thought there was glass there because, you know, it was so invisible".
It does if you need to explain away a very stupid and tragic thing you did and there is also the possibility of a huge payday from blaming the cruiseline.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yep. Grandpa knows he ****ed up.

Gonna be a tough thanksgiving dinner though.

"Remember when we had a daughter but grandpa dropped her over the side of a cruise ship?"

DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm just gonna offer some general advice that lifting kids onto things while on a cruise ship is generally a bad idea.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Stat Monitor Repairman
But seriously ... this is where we are as a society.

Pawpaw drops one y/o granddaughter over the side of the ship ...

But its not his fault because there should've been some glass somewhere where there wasn't glass ...

And ... pawpaw couldn't tell that there was no glass where their should have been glass ... because it was difficult to tell there was no glass ... because glass.
The Fife
third coast.. said:

I took my daughter on a cruise and she tried to steal the ship

Fake. Everyone knows that boat steering wheels are at least 3x that big and made of wood!
My Dad Earl
AG
Regardless, I feel awful for this family all around. Sure, the grandpa had no bad intentions, and it's not the smartest thing to bring a toddler on a cruise ship in the first place. But now he has to live with the fact that it's his fault that his granddaughter died. I can't and don't want to imagine what my Dad would feel like if that happened to my daughter.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Counterpoint
AG
My Dad Earl said:

I can't and don't want to imagine what my Dad would feel like if that happened to my daughter.
Your dad Earl?
DannyDuberstein
AG
His dad, Eeeeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrllllllllll, who dropped his moo goo gai pan grandkid off the side of a ship so hard that it popped out a pga champion.
hillcountryag86
AG
Appears the family has hired a lawyer. Good grief.
zephyr88
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

May have something to talk about... missing/open window in a play area?
62strat
AG
zephyr88 said:

hillcountryag86 said:

that looks like that would be 6' off the ground.
KidDoc
AG
62strat said:

zephyr88 said:

hillcountryag86 said:

that looks like that would be 6' off the ground.
Of course some of those windows open to get a breeze going on those upper decks. He had to lift her up it wasn't the lower windows in toddler reach that were open. He likely had her standing up on that handrail and thought the window was closed.

On every RC cruise I've been on those windows are NOT super clean and very easy to see if they are open or not. Sadly I think they are looking for $$$$$ from RC.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't think there was any mistake about whether it was open or not. My guess is he went to plop her up there so she could look out and he lost his grip.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.