Worst sport?

7,799 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
Drawkcab
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ragoo said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

Then we have wildly different opinions on what is sport. Your definition would include chess and billiards as sport, which I do not consider either to be.

No it would not. There's more than one component to my definition. It has to be a competion with defense, objective scoring, require good coordination to be good, and have some degree of physical difficulty. Chess and billiards fail the last two. Golf fails the first.
so tennis is out too, in your weird definition.

How's tennis out? It's got defense played by the same person who's playing offense and the other criteria of that correct definition are easily met. I call sport.
Street_Cred_Norm
Piss off.
If your child grows up to be a Liberal, you've failed as a parent.
PhatMack19
AG
bac said:

Your heart rate doesn't increase.

You've obviously never played competitively. Try standing over a 6 foot put to win a tourney and tell me your knees aren't knocking.
EliteZags
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

AggieBand2004 said:

blindey said:

To clarify: sports = when you compete directly against a competitor or indirectly via an objective standard like a clock or a tape measure.

Not sports = competing against a subjective standard like a judge.

So worst sport would have to be cricket. It's just so damn boring.

Non sports would have to be rythymic gymnastics or any of the freestyle type skiing/snowboarding sports because the announcers are insufferable.

Been saying this for years. Golf, bowling, gymnastics, etc are not sports. At least not in the top tier of competitive sports

Why is Golf not a sport?

if I could beat every "athlete" in a sport's ass, it's not a sport
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Ragoo said:

Cricket

Now you're just naming things. Cricket is like baseball, but exciting.
Grapes
OP is a soy boy!
jkag89
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Motorcross
Iowaggie
AG
The worst NCAA sport is rowing.

It's a women's only sport that was implemented to help meet Title IX mandates.

It is boring to watch, and if you did watch it, you would stand on a river and watch a boat going by, probably not seeing either the beginning or the end or both. And nearly every heat is the same. It is the worst sport to watch.

And you wouldn't be able to tell if the competitor is attractive, in-shape, or anything about them, so it doesn't have appearance going for it. So it has no athletic beauty appeal in watching.

The only appealing thing about it is the use of a coxswain, and that's funny to say.
AggieBand2004
AG
If a person is a competitive rower, you can safely assume they are in shape
AggieBand2004
AG
Builder93 said:

unimboti nkum said:

I would be afraid I'd crush a testicle playing this ridiculous game.

I doubt those people either have testicles, or use them if they do.
IIIHorn
Javelin Catch
hurleyag
AG
EliteZags said:

Bruce Almighty said:

AggieBand2004 said:

blindey said:

To clarify: sports = when you compete directly against a competitor or indirectly via an objective standard like a clock or a tape measure.

Not sports = competing against a subjective standard like a judge.

So worst sport would have to be cricket. It's just so damn boring.

Non sports would have to be rythymic gymnastics or any of the freestyle type skiing/snowboarding sports because the announcers are insufferable.

Been saying this for years. Golf, bowling, gymnastics, etc are not sports. At least not in the top tier of competitive sports

Why is Golf not a sport?

if I could beat every "athlete" in a sport's ass, it's not a sport
I'd like to see an internet tough guy try to fight one of the top golfers.
Iowaggie
AG
AggieBand2004 said:

Obviously they are in shape. Most truly competitive athletes are in-shape for their sport, and rowing would be a pretty grueling activity requiring total body fitness.

But when they rowing by and you can see them for about 35 seconds from a distance of about 30-50 yards away, it just isn't appealing to watch.

Now, if it was like drag racing where one of the boats might flip over in mid air and/or burst into flames, that would be something worth watching.

Ragoo
AG
Drawkcab said:

Ragoo said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

Then we have wildly different opinions on what is sport. Your definition would include chess and billiards as sport, which I do not consider either to be.

No it would not. There's more than one component to my definition. It has to be a competion with defense, objective scoring, require good coordination to be good, and have some degree of physical difficulty. Chess and billiards fail the last two. Golf fails the first.

How's tennis out? It's got defense played by the same person who's playing offense and the other criteria of that correct definition are easily met. I call sport.
tennis doesn't have defense, not unless you are shifting the goal post of what defense is but then you would be going down a slippery slope weakening a currently already weak argument.
HC
CharlieBrown17 said:

Anything with a dirtbike
You crazy kid! You're always joking
CharlieBrown17
AG
Took ya long enough
GrayMatter
AG
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
dcAg
OP obviously has not played nor does he know anything about sports and specifically hockey.
MisterShipWreck
Sorry - Ice Hockey is the best sport in the world. I will forgive you.

Drawkcab
Ragoo said:

Drawkcab said:

Ragoo said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

tennis doesn't have defense, not unless you are shifting the goal post of what defense is but then you would be going down a slippery slope weakening a currently already weak argument.

I admit before reading this thread I was more inclined to call tennis a game than a sport, but I do like that definition and I do think you can play defensively so I have to say sport.
Ragoo
AG
Drawkcab said:

Ragoo said:

Drawkcab said:

Ragoo said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

I admit before reading this thread I was more inclined to call tennis a game than a sport, but I do like that definition and I do think you can play defensively so I have to say sport.
playing from a defensive position and taking on a role of active defense are different things. of which tennis does not allow the latter. again, depends on how you define defense.

in match play golf your opponent can haul off an knock a ball deep in the rough or OB or in a hazard, etc. you can take a more conservative/defensive approach and play a mid iron into the fairway giving you a better shot at par and winning the hole. very much the same as tennis. Reduce the risk in your own play and hope your opponent makes the mistake you can take advantage of. The female US OPEN winner took this exact approach.
AggieBand2004
AG
I don't use a strict definition of defense. I just determine whether or not an opponent can directly affect your play. In golf, bowling, gymnastics, they cannot.
Ragoo
AG
AggieBand2004 said:

I don't use a strict definition of defense. I just determine whether or not an opponent can directly affect your play. In golf, bowling, gymnastics, they cannot.
you've clearly never played golf.
theterk
AG
Ragoo said:

AggieBand2004 said:

you've clearly never played golf.
and pretty sure if someone scores higher than you, you try to score higher than them?
Texmid
AG
So prior to 1952 golf was a sport. Back then you could play defense by using your ball to stymie your opponent's ball.
Builder93
AG
AggieBand2004 said:

Builder93 said:

unimboti nkum said:

Well, at least it gets the nerds outside for some exercise.
Ragoo
AG
Builder93 said:

AggieBand2004 said:

Builder93 said:

unimboti nkum said:

Well, at least it gets the nerds outside for some exercise.
my dad and I saw some of these nerds in memorial park this past weekend. after we had a laugh about them running around with brooms between their legs pretending to fly he said, "at least they are outside." we both agreed and moved on.
Murphag
bac said:

Ragoo said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

Incorrect. You don't think all tennis players are finely tuned athletes? Unlike John Daly.

Put tennis players indoors with air conditioning and see if they sweat. Check their heart rates.
Tennis would not be out by his definition. There's plenty of defense played in tennis. I've become pretty good at it Drives your opponent crazy.

And, yes, I played a tounamnet match indoors with A/C and I was sweating my butt off. We were running each other like crazy to get the other one tired.
BombayAg
Ragoo said:

Cricket

Cricket is fun. You probably don't know the rules.

Look at the beauty in this shot.

dah4439
AG
Soccer and ice hockey. You only score when the other team makes a stupid mistake.
Ragoo
AG
it was a joke silly it must have gone 15 overs your head.
Swarely
Iowaggie said:

AggieBand2004 said:

Obviously they are in shape. Most truly competitive athletes are in-shape for their sport, and rowing would be a pretty grueling activity requiring total body fitness.

But when they rowing by and you can see them for about 35 seconds from a distance of about 30-50 yards away, it just isn't appealing to watch.

Now, if it was like drag racing where one of the boats might flip over in mid air and/or burst into flames, that would be something worth watching.

I used to enjoy watching the tu rowing teams in the mornings when I was stuck in traffic going over the river. But I may have been the only one.
BombayAg
Ragoo said:

it was a joke silly it must have gone 15 overs your head.

heh ok man
The 5200 Acres
AG
AggieBand2004 said:

You have never bowled competitively either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.