Worst sport?

7,830 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ulrich said:

Lots of things that are difficult are not sports. Golf is an excellent example.

So why is golf not a sport?
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

It's difficult to get to a point in which you're even considered 'bad' at it. Damn near impossible to play at a level considered "good".
Brain surgery would also fit this definition.
aTm2004
AG
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Ulrich
Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

There's no defense. You can't directly influence your opponent. It's a game like darts or bowling.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I would hope doctors aren't "playing" brain surgery.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

There's no defense. You can't directly influence your opponent. It's a game like darts or bowling.

So sprinting isn't a sport?
wangus12
AG
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports. . . all others are games.
Ulrich
correct.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Beer Baron said:

Quote:

It's difficult to get to a point in which you're even considered 'bad' at it. Damn near impossible to play at a level considered "good".
Brain surgery would also fit this definition.

Who plays brain surgery? We're discussing games/sports.
Beer Baron
AG
Notice how her foot is still touching the ground.
Ragoo
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Michael Phelps doesn't compete in sport
aTm2004
AG
In a tight 12-15 game late in the 4th.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
Ragoo
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

usain bolt merely plays a game
Bruce Almighty
AG
Ulrich said:

correct.

Then we have wildly different opinions on what is sport. Your definition would include chess and billiards as sport, which I do not consider either to be.
aTm2004
AG
Ragoo said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Michael Phelps doesn't compete in sport

Phelps doesn't compete. He dominates.
ArticPenguin:

bac
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Geez.

Well, it's walking. And an occasional swing of a light object. You don't even sweat unless it's hot. Your heart rate doesn't increase.

It's a hobby. Not a sport.
Ignatius_of_Silesia
The sport Bombay and the dots rule over.

Ragoo
AG
bac said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Geez.

Well, it's walking. And an occasional swing of a light object. You don't even sweat unless it's hot. Your heart rate doesn't increase.

so ignorant
Bruce Almighty
AG
bac said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Geez.

Same as relief pitchers in baseball and kickers in football.
TSUAggie
Golf is a "sport" for non-athletic dorks who can't play real sports. It may be a fun game to play, but it's not a sport. In no way does it take the same amount of strength, athletic ability or stamina to play as basketball, football or rugby.
Ragoo
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

Then we have wildly different opinions on what is sport. Your definition would include chess and billiards as sport, which I do not consider either to be.
87 year old men playing chess in the park, sport.

Jason day cranking a golf ball 315 yards on average while competing on the golf course, not a sport.
Ulrich
Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

No it would not. There's more than one component to my definition. It has to be a competion with defense, objective scoring, require good coordination to be good, and have some degree of physical difficulty. Chess and billiards fail the last two. Golf fails the first.
bac
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

bac said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Geez.

Your examples are one particular position of many positions in these sports.

I'm talking about EVERY participant in golf. Big difference.
Ragoo
AG
Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

No it would not. There's more than one component to my definition. It has to be a competion with defense, objective scoring, require good coordination to be good, and have some degree of physical difficulty. Chess and billiards fail the last two. Golf fails the first.
so tennis is out too, in your weird definition.
Ragoo
AG
bac said:

Bruce Almighty said:

bac said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Geez.

Your examples are one particular position of many positions in these sports.

I'm talking about EVERY participant in golf. Big difference.
usually when you make an argument if one fails they all fail.
PoohAh97
AG
My vote: ^^^^^ that argument
bac
AG
Ragoo said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

Incorrect. You don't think all tennis players are finely tuned athletes? Unlike John Daly.

Put tennis players indoors with air conditioning and see if they sweat. Check their heart rates.
bac
AG
Ragoo said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

My 80 year old FIL plays golf. He's really good. Put a tennis racket in his hand and he'd have a heart attack after two points.
wangus12
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

bac said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Geez.

You mean all pitchers. And some of those field players aren't in much better shape either.
Ragoo
AG
bac said:

Ragoo said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

My 80 year old FIL plays golf. He's really good. Put a tennis racket in his hand and he'd have a heart attack after two points.
now we see the true fallacy. You lump hobby golf in with competitive golf as it they require the same skills and talents.
jkag89
wangus12 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

bac said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

Geez.

You mean all pitchers. And some of those field players aren't in much better shape either.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I consider golf a sport because there's competition among the players and athletic ability can be an advantage over the other players. If you take two identical golfers with identical skills sets, but player A has 20 pounds of muscle over golfer B, then golfer A will have an advantage. Obviously some sports require more athletic ability than others. And anyone that says Usain Bolt isn't participating in a sport isn't worth arguing with.
bac
AG
Ragoo said:

bac said:

Ragoo said:

Ulrich said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ulrich said:

correct.

now we see the true fallacy. You lump hobby golf in with competitive golf as it they require the same skills and talents.

Fallacy schmallacy. I think it stands with pro golfers vs pro tennis.

Anyway, you've done zero to change my mind. And you're concentrating on tennis to try to gain a bit of ground, conveniently ignoring other sports.

I don't mean to upset you. I don't respect golf as a sport, that's all. It's just like, my opinion, man.
Out in Left Field
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I would hope doctors aren't "playing" brain surgery.

Well they do call it practicing medicine so...
Builder93
AG
unimboti nkum said:

I would be afraid I'd crush a testicle playing this ridiculous game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.