Worst sport?

7,792 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
AggieBand2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Please, inform me how golfers and bowlers tangibly affect their opponents.
A bowler can't set up a 7-10 split for the opponent, nor can a golfer put his opponent in a sand trap.
The 5200 Acres
AG
With regard to bowling, there is conditioner (oil in layman's terms) applied to a portion of the lane surface. Every single shot that travels down the lane changes the pattern. Conditioner is picked up in the front of the lane and some of it is deposited on the back end.

Optimal scoring occurs when you can have a higher concentration of conditioner inside your line and a drier area outside the line you are playing. This creates what is called "area". You can miss a bit and still hit target. While you can "build a shot" by carving a hole out of the pattern, opponents, especially in match play, may try to burn up the area inside where you intend to play. They can also throw polyester or low flaring balls down the opponent's intended line to push conditioner into his "area" to create a hang spot where his ball won't hook.

Hell I've seen right handers throw 180 grit (super dull) balls with a back up release during practice to trash a left handers line.
AggieBand2004
AG
Not quite like putting someone behind the 8 ball or sending a corner blitz...
EliteZags
AG
Ragoo said:

AggieBand2004 said:

I don't use a strict definition of defense. I just determine whether or not an opponent can directly affect your play. In golf, bowling, gymnastics, they cannot.
you've clearly never played golf.

lol psychological defense?? I bet you consider trivia and spelling a sport too
Drawkcab
Ok. These bowling and pool illustrations have made me see there is a difference between playing defensively and a legit defense working against a legit offense. I'm taking tennis back off my list.
beastinBQ
AG
Gonna disagree with you here. Sport is defined as requiring physical exertion and skill against an adversary. Yeah, riding a golf cart, slamming brews is a hobby, but the PGA is a legit sport. Same as NASCAR - being able to steer against that kind of power for that long is not easy.

Btw, I can't stand golf or NASCAR.
beastinBQ
AG
Key word is physical exertion and physical skills. Is cross county running a sport? Yes. Would a CC athlete be good at basketball? Rugby? Probably not. They require different sets of physical skill. Golf requires a different set of physical skills.

It's a sport.
beastinBQ
AG
So how does an Olympic sprinter, swimmer, shot/discus thrower, long jumper, high jumper, pole vaulter, weightlifter ....... play defense?
Bruce Almighty
AG
You might as well forget it. The golf is not a sport people create definitions as to what is a sport that makes sure excludes golf from being a sport. Once they're proven that they're definition is dumb, they'll then modify their definition of sport, like no defense. Saying track and field is not a sport is about 1000 times more dumb than saying golf is not a sport.
TyHolden
AG
Whaling?
03_Aggie
Holy ****, you guys are getting worked up over the sports opinion of a band dork.

AggieBand2004
AG
Right?
Chazz03
AG
How has noone said wrestling yet?
duffelpud
AG
Quote:

There's no defense. You can't directly influence your opponent. It's a game like darts or bowling.

Some would beg to differ...

"What's this button do?"
wsjag
AG
The only thing worse than track is field
EliteZags
AG
beastinBQ said:

Gonna disagree with you here. Sport is defined as requiring physical exertion and skill against an adversary. Yeah, riding a golf cart, slamming brews is a hobby, but the PGA is a legit sport. Same as NASCAR - being able to steer against that kind of power for that long is not easy.

Btw, I can't stand golf or NASCAR.
lol yes they require some amount of physical exertion sure, but golfers and drivers would get dominated by real athletes of real sports in any other type of physical competition/comparison

it's like getting a PhD in history/English/theology and calling yourself a doctor
jja79
AG
What types of competitions would real athletes dominate golfers in?

One of my sons was a college athlete and now that he's done with that and taking up golf he says it's the most difficult sport he's ever tried.

Another of my sons is an MD so he would agree with you that an English PhD doesn't make you a doctor.
EliteZags
AG
jja79 said:

anything testing strength, speed, athleticism etc

being difficult does not make it a sport, rubix cubes are difficult

if senior citizens can play competitively in the highest level professional league with 20/30 year olds, it's not a sport
Ragoo
AG
EliteZags said:

jja79 said:

if senior citizens can play competitively in the highest level professional league with 20/30 year olds, it's not a sport
name the senior citizen

I looked it up for you. In the last 30 years only 3 times has a player won after their 50th birthday. The oldest every to win a pga even was Sam Snead at age 52 in 1965.

Kindly find a new argument to debunk.
bac
AG
Was your great-great-great-grandfather named Jebodiah Golf or something?
bac
AG
Ragoo said:

name the senior citizen

I looked it up for you. In the last 30 years only 3 times has a player won after their 50th birthday. The oldest every to win a pga even was Sam Snead at age 52 in 1965.

I think you just proved his point. To me, at least.
Ragoo
AG
bac said:

Ragoo said:

name the senior citizen

I think you just proved his point. To me, at least.
it is so common that only 7 people in the history of the PGA tour have ever done it. Even more common on the European tour that 1 person has won past age 50. Yeah old dudes are competing at the highest level successfully....
bac
AG
Yup, some apparently are.

ETA: The other poster and I didn't say "commonly." You did.
jja79
AG
Last year 4 of the top 40 money winners were 40 or older, just 1 over 42. Every once in a while an older guy catches lightning in a bottle but its not typical.
EliteZags
AG
Ragoo said:

EliteZags said:

jja79 said:

name the senior citizen

lmao finding examples of 50 year olds winning championships in a "sport" isn't exactly "debunking" the fact that golf is not a sport

and btw I said competitively not winning it all
WorkerBee
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
EliteZags said:

Ragoo said:

EliteZags said:

jja79 said:

name the senior citizen

lmao finding examples of 50 year olds winning championships in a "sport" isn't exactly "debunking" the fact that golf is not a sport

and btw I said competitively not winning it all

Tom Brady is getting close to making football not a sport.
MLB has had players over 50. So, no longer a sport baseball. Sorry.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.