How do you feel about spanking kids?

13,019 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dcAg
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
StringerBell said:

Quote:

All Indian kids in the US are spanked by their parents.
im an indian kid who grew up in the US and i wasnt spanked.

i turned out ok
Just think how much BETTER you would have turned out if you were actually spanked.
Liquid Wrench
I haven't read this thread, but by "kids," do we mean atag or lupinsus?
CAR96
AG
I was spanked and now glad for it. Turned out fine. I will do the same to my kids.

My grandparents even sent me to pick the switch. I may not do this, but not against it if it is not taken too far.

Kids today know they can't be punished...so why not act intolerable.
The Collective
AG
No one will leave this thread with a changed mind.
BQ78
AG
Hurt me worse than it did the kids.
StringerBell
AG
maybe i would have ended up as the doctor or lawyer my parents always wanted.
Tanya 93
CAR96 said:

I was spanked and now glad for it. Turned out fine. I will do the same to my kids.

My grandparents even sent me to pick the switch. I may not do this, but not against it if it is not taken too far.

Okay, this is the problem.

Why is spanking the only punishment?
Amazing Moves
Quote:

2. Psychologists - most liberal and godless in all of academia

I disagree with the article in the OP but, this doesn't support your case.
aeon-ag
AP4P2020 said:

My best friends mom just posted this on Facebook.

Five Decades of Research Confirms: Spanking Produces Similar Outcomes in Children as Physical Abuse.

http://www.earthbasedmom.com/five-decades-research-confirms-spanking-physical-abuse-produces-similar-outcomes-children/

I never know what to think about this stuff because myself, my siblings, and pretty much all of our friends got spankings on a pretty regular basis. The only thing If eel it left me with was a healthy respect for belts and wooden spoons. I don't have kids so it's not something I need to worry about. Just was wondering what the TA consensus was on that particular method of punishment.

Also, did any of y'all have to kneel as a punishment? Man I hated that. I would have rather taken a spankingn than kneel for a few minutes.
The most critical thing I had to learn is the difference of my kids being a child or being unruly. That's a hard one. Punish them for being unruly, not for being a child. Spankings are ok with reason, a beating is not! Blatant humiliation such as kneeling before a larger being and or constant verbal belittling is worse than any spanking I ever got.
chipotle
Tanya 93 said:

CAR96 said:

Pain and fear
Woody2006
AG
I prefer caning kids to spanking them.

Don't want them growing up to be *******.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
We never spanked either of our children. One's at the Estelle unit and the other is at the Ellis unit. We visit them on holidays behind plexiglass.
HBCanine08
AG

Ag with kids
AG
chipotle said:

Tanya 93 said:

CAR96 said:

Pain and fear

oldschool87
AG
I really do not understand the argument at all.

CLEARLY AND WITHOUT AMBIGUITY!!!!!!!!!!!

Kids today are far better off, more responsible, are disciplined in both school and at work, and treat everyone with respect!

Clearly today's kids have benefited from the Wussification of their parents!
MooreTrucker
AG
Tanya 93 said:

CAR96 said:

Nobody is saying it's the ONLY effective punishment, just that it's AN effective form of punishment.
Liquid Wrench
BQ78 said:

Hurt me worse than it did the kids.
Your hands weren't always gentle, but I've come to understand that there was always love in your hands.
Tanya 93
MooreTrucker said:

Tanya 93 said:

CAR96 said:

Nobody is saying it's the ONLY effective punishment, just that it's AN effective form of punishment.

He is saying kids know they can't be punished because they aren't spanked.
That isn't true.

My son can be punished and it has nothing to do with hitting him.
StringerBell
AG
oldschool87 said:

Kids today are far better off, more responsible, are disciplined in both school and at work, and treat everyone with respect!

what
Liquid Wrench
I think spanking is kind of sadistic and twisted...it's an adult making open hand contact with a child's bare bottom repeatedly until the child gives the desired reaction. Sick.

One quick closed-fist to the face gets the point across much more effectively without making some sick game out of it.
C Loves L
I wish my kids behaved worse so I could spank them more!!
V8Aggie
AG
BombayAg said:

bs.
All Indian kids in the US are spanked by their parents. Almost all of them do well in life and are productive.
Spanking is different from abuse.

I have spanked my kids when they were little. They are older but it is still on the table as an option. My older is such a good kid that it's been ages since I spanked him. He has accumulated so many brownie points with me that even when he does a spankable violation, I let him go with a warning.

I got spanked, and my daddy got spanked and my kids got spanked. All by loving parents.
We are all productive citizens and will be in the future.

We have a Pakistani Muslim neighbor and she had kids after 3 miscarriages and pampers and never spanks. Their kid is my older's age. Almost teen. He openly tells his dad to "F Off" and is rude to elders and told another grown up in front of me "you want to take this outside??". If I were his dad, I would have kicked his ass.
There was that one time my dad decided I was old enough to get my ass kicked. I deserved it and realized I wasn't as big of a man as I thought I was (still young).
Liquid Wrench
Wellll....any old time you feel like you've finally gotten big enough to fight a grown man, just lemme know the time and place and don't forget to pack a lunch.
Post removed:
by user
Geralt of Rivia
S
MFS clicker trains her kids
superunknown
AG
Is God willing to make a "magical, bottom-heart connection" but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus, probably.
Ag with kids
AG
MrsFlyingSquirrel95 said:

Tanya 93 said:

People who are pro spanking or think the Bible calls for it, can you explain why you think it is the way to make kids behave?

I am just getting from posters than spanking makes your kids behave. It certainly didn't work with my brothers.

One Christian parenting book claims that God created a magical "bottom-heart connection" and the only way to reach your child's heart is by hitting them on the buttocks.

That's a pretty f'in weird God if so. "Gee, if only I could install a way to reach a child's heart. I know, I have a great idea!"

Oddly I have found that setting boundaries and reinforcing good behavior and talking to children and enforcing consequences works just as well.

I see some Catholic priests read that book and misinterpreted it...
Hello Newman
All you need is a couple of good spankings and then the threat will keep you in line.
oldschool87
AG
StringerBell said:

oldschool87 said:

what

Whatever society is doing today AIN'T working!!!!

Ag 11
AG
I feel fine until my arm starts to get tired
MooreTrucker
AG
oldschool87 said:

StringerBell said:

oldschool87 said:

what

Whatever society is doing today AIN'T working!!!!

SO true! All that research to show that spanking is bad, and yet where's the research to show what works better? Cuz what's being done now isn't getting it done. Kids are arguably more disobedient and disrespectful than ever.
BostonAg74
They should do a study of what kind of discipline the parents of YouTube commenters used on them when they were children, and after the results are published, everybody should do just the opposite.
Kitten With A Whip
I don't have any kids, but I can say that I am intrigued by the show Supernanny. It is certainly not my favorite things to watch, but I cannot get past the opening scenes which describes the family and kids she will be visiting in that show and the first thing I think to myself EVERY SINGLE TIME is "that kid needs his ass whipped!"

Furthermore, I definitely would not spend 3 hours dragging my kid back to the "naughty chair" 38 times before he catches on that he should stay in that chair until I say he can leave it! Light that ass up the second time he gets up without permission and he will have gotten the message with much less drama, frustration and far fewer tears. Talk after the time out, which I would actually prefer to spanking, and it's all good. Use the spanking as an occasional tool and it's fine.
Post removed:
by user
TyHolden
AG
Adrian Petersen makes a great nanny in the off-season

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.