Cheese Enchilada night at Casa de Fido

94,550 Views | 285 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Moral High Horse
Cowboy Curtis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Gabster43213 said:

Fido,

Is the recipe for the refried beans in this thread? Anyone else have a good recipe for refried beans? I've never made them at home.

Good timing on the thread bump Gabster. Just finished these up for dinner. I'm back on the plant wagon, so I just had a rice and bean bowl.

As far as refried beans go, I'll typically melt about 2 Tbls bacon fat from the fridge and saute about 1/2c diced onion and 1/2-1 diced jalapeno. When that's tender add in 2-3 cloves minced garlic and cook a minute more. Then add 2 cans of Bush's Pinto beans and simmer for about 10mins. Hit with an immersion blender then cook down until you hit the thickness you prefer. Finally add salt if needed. If you salt too early they will end up over salted

Why has the gravy from red in the OP to brown in this pic?
Garrelli 5000
AG
Made these last night for the first time. Forgot to add the tomato paste but I cant' see how it would have much of a a difference.

Tasted very similar to when I've made Robb Walsh's recipe. Makes sense because the indgrediens are very simliar other than the types and amount of chili. Also first time making this with beef.

THe sauce was great. My tortillas sucked. Didn't want to leave the house and we had some mission corn tortillas. They were just kind of mushy, so there is not textual difference b/w them and the cheese. The flavors kind of munge with the cheese as well.

When I worked at Garcia's in College Station they'd roll their enchiladas sometimes a day in advance. When you ordered I think they took those unsauced enchiladas, put them on a plage with sauce, then added sauce on top.

Next time I make these I'll probable bake w/out the gravy. Then I'll plate'em up, toss shredded cheese on top, an put the plates under the broiler a few seconds. I may keep the plates in the oven a few minutes first to get them nice and hot as well.
Take the trash out staff.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Fido, my man! Is that unshredded cheese Monterey Jack?
B-1 83
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Made these last night for the first time. Forgot to add the tomato paste but I cant' see how it would have much of a a difference.

Tasted very similar to when I've made Robb Walsh's recipe. Makes sense because the indgrediens are very simliar other than the types and amount of chili. Also first time making this with beef.

THe sauce was great. My tortillas sucked. Didn't want to leave the house and we had some mission corn tortillas. They were just kind of mushy, so there is not textual difference b/w them and the cheese. The flavors kind of munge with the cheese as well.

When I worked at Garcia's in College Station they'd roll their enchiladas sometimes a day in advance. When you ordered I think they took those unsauced enchiladas, put them on a plage with sauce, then added sauce on top.

Next time I make these I'll probable bake w/out the gravy. Then I'll plate'em up, toss shredded cheese on top, a put the plates under the broiler a few seconds. I may keep the plates in the oven a few minutes first to get them nice and hot as well.
Are your tortillas not taking a short bath in hot Manteca before dipping and rolling?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Ogre09
AG
I made 8 pans of this the last 2 days. Good stuff.
Moral High Horse
And the problem is?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.