***** NCAA TRACK & FIELD OUTDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS *****

75,593 Views | 1100 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bebhillah
aggiedrjdub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Please don't think I'm ignorant, but should we be worried that Mu ran a 51.04 in the 400 today? Isn't that 2 seconds slower than her PR?
TRM
AG
Bad pass.
TRM
AG
No. If you finish top 2 in your heat you advance, so she slowed down at the end.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Okay. I didn't get to watch so that's good. Thank you!
taylorswift13
AG
52.37 great leg for Jaevin Reed
taylorswift13
AG
LSU
tk for tu juan
Big difference in strides b/w Mu and UCLA's anchor
fitzwatema
AG
Mu did not like UCLA getting close and gave a little thrust to pull away.
mullokmotx
AG
They said Mu ran a 50.9 and she looked like she was going 90% the whole way.
coloradoag69
AG
Even with the poor pass and Mu obviously pacing herself, we are the fastest qualifier by almost 0.7 seconds- the only team running under 3:27. I'm impressed!
Z3phyr
Here is my messy spreadsheet of scoring:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sPShLdiiyt4s5LaCWDlZ4L6kGVRPtPGKEemXlOrA01A/edit?usp=sharing

For the most part it just scored prelims as finals. I would say the meet is in Anna Cockrell's hands. She had a damn good day today and if she does it again, I'm not sure if we can make it up. I like our chances though

Scores for us and USC should be fine. Still working to make sure the rest is working
AggieSwim16
taylorswift13 said:

Exactly! The SEC is not huge in distance and that's where Arkansas thrives. Come regionals they got one girl through in the 1500, one in the 5000, and one in the 10000! It's the same story every year... they have the 5th-8ths and can't do well at nationals... I'll take the national meet everytime

But didn't Arkansas win in 2019?
taylorswift13
AG
We really need Cockrell to not run a crazy PR in the 100 hurdles. I think LSU can catch them in the 4x100, and Terry could lose the 100, especially to Kemba Nelson who's at home. We need Tyra to get 20 points, Lamara and Acquah to medal, along with Charokee. I think Charokee's performance in the 400 is key! If she can move up and beat the Trojans like she did in qualifying that would be AMAZING! That race will be important. Another thing to note is USC has all their sprinters running a race and a relay... so tired legs can come into play especially in the 200 which is closer to the end.
taylorswift13
AG
AggieSwim16 said:

taylorswift13 said:

Exactly! The SEC is not huge in distance and that's where Arkansas thrives. Come regionals they got one girl through in the 1500, one in the 5000, and one in the 10000! It's the same story every year... they have the 5th-8ths and can't do well at nationals... I'll take the national meet everytime

But didn't Arkansas win in 2019?
ehh they still suck
TRM
AG
Constantine for USC didn't look good trying to keep up with Florida on the 4x4.
triniaggie
AG
Charokee Young gets lane 2. This will be a hard lane to be in the top 5
mullokmotx
AG
My favorite non-Aggie runner of the day was Second Lieutenant Mahala Norris of Air Force, the 4' 11' steeplechaser who qualified for the finals. They said the barriers are 30 inches high. She's 59 inches tall.
Sodadude
AG
T&FN projection was A&M 62, USC 61, LSU 60. After today I think LSU is pretty much out of it. They had 3 projected point scorers not make finals and failed to score in the hammer. We didn't look great at times but we actually picked up 2 points in the long jump and qualified all of our projected point scorers. USC had a good day and qualified a net +1 runner for finals (+1 in 100 and 400 and -1 in 100h). They also qualified #1 in 4x1.

If you plugged in points based on today's performances it shows USC 75, A&M 59, and LSU 45. I think that is misleading. Especially in the 400 where USC unexpectedly had the top 2 times and Athing Mu the 4th best. Finals results in the 400 will likely change significantly.

So I think its a 2 horse race. 1 big performance or 1 bad performance can change everything. If USC has another big day in the 100 and 400 or if we stumble in the high jump then they are the favorites. Otherwise it's probably going to be really tight.
taylorswift13
AG
triniaggie said:

Charokee Young gets lane 2. This will be a hard lane to be in the top 5
hopefully her having everyone on the outside can benefit her somewhat. Being in lane 2 she has to go out hard unlike her strategy today! Maybe Mu makes the USC girls run out of gas in the 400 as they're all in lanes next to her!
taylorswift13
AG
What do you all think... too ambitious or not giving USC enough credit?

rab79
AG
USC looked stressed on their 4x400 anchor so 2nd may be a bit optimistic for them, LSU needs to be a spoiler in the sprints and hurdles. I kind of hate that we are so dependent on Tyra, field events seem to be the most susceptible to mental issues, at least to me.
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
taylorswift13
AG
Yeah in a way having more athletes can be a blessing and a curse... more opportunities to score but more chances to royally mess up and hurt point projection
Z3phyr
I'm calling the winner is who places higher, Deborah in the TJ or Anna in the 100H
Sodadude
AG
rab79 said:

USC looked stressed on their 4x400 anchor so 2nd may be a bit optimistic for them, LSU needs to be a spoiler in the sprints and hurdles.
Agree on LSU. A bounce back day for them could really help us. They go head-to-head with USC in 5 events and we only cross them in the high jump.
taylorswift13
AG
What am I supposed to do for another 7.5 hours till Tyra begins the heptathlon
agAngeldad
Z3phyr said:

I'm calling the winner is who places higher, Deborah in the TJ or Anna in the 100H

If Tyra wims HJ ags win. Problem is the timing with running 800 (hep) during the HJ. She needs the HJ to be over before 800 begins. She cannot post a good jump after 800. Thats race is brutal for her.
taylorswift13
AG
I think the high jump will be over! In Chanpionship meets they usually open at a higher height around 5'7/5'8! So girls will go out fast! She'll have her legs under her as she will only contest the long jump and javelin before! We also need to hope Morgan Smalls of USC doesn't place in the high jump as well!
coloradoag69
AG
I think we'll get an indication of how the high jump will go will happen in the heptathlon high jump today. I thought the long jump distances were significantly down from everyone's best. If the high jump top clearances today are depressed, then I suspect they will be on Saturday. Unfortunately, that brings a lot more jumpers into play and makes misses more prominent.

I hope I'm wrong.
taylorswift13
AG
I'm sorta hoping Tyra just calls it a day at 6'2... I'm being selfish and want her to save her legs for the open high jump tomorrow! But if it is a slow jumping area, it's a beautiful thing she's competing on it today and will become a little familiar it compared to Rachel Glenn of SC. Also think the top will rise up even in bad conditions just like the top 3 girls did in the long jump
taylorswift13
AG
Lol FloTrack said Tara Davis deserves the Bowerman over Athing Mu and Tyra Gittens
rab79
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Lol FloTrack said Tara Davis deserves the Bowerman over Athing Mu and Tyra Gittens
Didn't realize flotrack was a subsidiary of es(i)pn
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
TRM
AG
Flotrack is based out of Austin.
fitzwatema
AG
Well, there you go explains their thinking perfectly!
agAngeldad
taylorswift13 said:

I think the high jump will be over! In Chanpionship meets they usually open at a higher height around 5'7/5'8! So girls will go out fast! She'll have her legs under her as she will only contest the long jump and javelin before! We also need to hope Morgan Smalls of USC doesn't place in the high jump as well!

I agree however, this seems to be a concern if HJ drags out.
box65
AG
taylorswift13 said:

Yeah in a way having more athletes can be a blessing and a curse... more opportunities to score but more chances to royally mess up and hurt point projection
Also, I put a lot of stock in your point scoring projections and you have several 6th and 8th place projections for USC and, as you well know, when you get down to that level, it is a real crap shoot whether they will score at all . 3 or 4 points can make the difference!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.