**2021 NASCAR Cup Series**

22,183 Views | 442 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
Michael Cera Palin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Watching on tv today, gonna be sitting at turn 12 tomorrow, can't wait!
Vernada
AG
I don't normally watch NASCAR but was going to watch the COTA race. Is it not carried on network tv anymore!?
TRM
AG
It's on FS1.
Vernada
AG
So is there a story behind why they lost network coverage and are only on cable/satellite now?
TRM
AG
It depends on the week. Generally,most of the Cup races are on Fox but the Xfinity and Truck series are generally on FS1.

ETA: Didn't mean to chose that emoji.
Vernada
AG
That sucks. I've been really hoping to watch this one.
Gap
AG
Is network vs cable/satellite still a thing?

Are people still operating with an antenna?
Vernada
AG
Uh yes. Cutting the cord? Very normal for folks to not have cable channels. I haven't in almost 10 years.
tk for tu juan
Cindric hustling it on slicks in the rain
Russ Dalrymple
AG
I'm thinking they are going t need to red flag this til tomorrow unless conditions start improving, especially after that Truex/Custer accident.

They are running risk of someone getting seriously injured.
lunchbox
Russ Dalrymple said:

I'm thinking they are going t need to red flag this til tomorrow unless conditions start improving, especially after that Truex/Custer accident.

They are running risk of someone getting seriously injured.
I was coming to post the same thing. They can't see anything!
tk for tu juan
Some heavier rain approaching, maybe an hour away
TRM
AG
Four more laps until it's official. I think they do the quick AirTitan, single file restart and finish Stage 2. If it gets worse after that, they'll just end it.
Rick Deckard
AG
I don't want to derail the thread.

If anyone attending this Austin NASCAR race or any other race at this track would care to share your preparation and overall experience I would appreciate it.
I'm thinking about taking my son to a race, but for sure the next time NASCAR races there.
Feel free to PM me. Thanks.

*by preparation I mean tickets/accommodations/timing/viewing location/track amenities/etc
tk for tu juan
Wow, threading the needle, and follow up donut in the mud for Kurt
Russ Dalrymple
AG
Elliott wins under the Red Flag

Hopefully next time, they get favorable weather. Has potential to be a great race.
tk for tu juan
Are there any videos of wet weather testing for next year's cars? Interested to see the difference of the "rooster tail" with the rear diffuser in place.
Bunk Moreland
Was a great weekend and thanks so much to Nascar and everyone for using rain tires and finding a way to get through every race except for the last 15 laps or whatever they stopped it at. I also agree with the caution/red flag and ultimate stoppage. Chase was sliding all down the back stretch on his last couple laps. While I enjoyed watching it, had he wiped out and lost the lead it would not have been fair to the job he did to get up to the front.

Larson had the best car by far imo. Chase 2nd, Kyle just slightly behind in 3rd. I wish we had dry conditions to see those 3 race it out.

It's an interesting track. We were in the main grandstands and loved seeing pit road, the front stretch etc but we also loved walking around yesterday around the track to see sight lines at various areas.

This place is built for a doubleheader Saturday like they set it up. If they return and do the same schedule + a Saturday night concert at the amphitheater that Nascar fans would enjoy, it'd be killer.

I love an oval track in-person so you can see the entire race but I still enjoyed my time this weekend and would go back in heartbeat. Seems like the crowd support was strong too. Cmon COTA and NASCAR, add another year at least and let's get a dry weekend + no covid worries during planning so we can take a real shot at making this place a permanent stop each year.
Pahdz
I'm really mad that the Road America race is on the weekend of the 4th, it's only a four hour drive for me and I've never been to a road course. RA has basically a big park with bike trails I think inside it so that would be cool to check y.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Rick Deckard said:

I don't want to derail the thread.

If anyone attending this Austin NASCAR race or any other race at this track would care to share your preparation and overall experience I would appreciate it.
I'm thinking about taking my son to a race, but for sure the next time NASCAR races there.
Feel free to PM me. Thanks.

*by preparation I mean tickets/accommodations/timing/viewing location/track amenities/etc

I only went Sunday but here's my take:

Get there early early early. I got to the race track at about 11:45 for the race that started at 1:30, sat in standstill traffic until about 1:00 before actually parking in a spot. There are free lots but they fill up so, like I said, get there early or just pay for a guaranteed lot ahead of time.

We sat at turn 12 which I highly recommend, you get to see them go through their breaking zone and turn after the long straightaway. Plus you can see the next three turns as well. There are video boards nearby so you can see the rest of the race. It's also near the amphitheater area so there's stuff to walk around and enjoy. My brother bought the tickets online so don't know what website he went through for that.

Concessions lines took the duration of an entire yellow flag in the middle of the race.

Getting out of the parking lot and back to the highway after the race was about as bad as getting in.

The rain sucked but it was still fun and I'd definitely go back if NASCAR returns. I would want to do Saturday and Sunday next time.
AstroAggie15
AG
Don't recommend camping there if there is a drop of rain in the forecast
TRM
AG
Spotter Eddie D'Hondt suspended indefinitely.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Taking my 6 year old to the Saturday races at TMS. I've never been even though I used to live in those apartments across 35. Any tips for a first timer? We have reserved parking.
Bunk Moreland
Blanco Jimenez said:

Taking my 6 year old to the Saturday races at TMS. I've never been even though I used to live in those apartments across 35. Any tips for a first timer? We have reserved parking.

What section/row?

Scanner headset rentals are apparently pre-order only this year, so go to TMS' site and purchase them in advance. If it's just you and the kid, then get the scanner + 2 intercom headsets for $60 so y'all can talk during the race and listen to teams/MRN race coverage together.

If you can get a pit pass (not sure if they're doing that w/ COVID) then definitely do that and go walk around the garages to see the cars and teams up close.

I'm assuming there will be plenty of room in the grandstands so if you're too low to see the entire track, move up to some seats that will allow you to do so.

If the kid is good with loud noises, take him down as close as possible to the catch fence on a few restarts and experience 2-3 laps down there.

That's about all I got.
Hershey97
Blanco Jimenez said:

Get there at least an hour early to experience the pre-race festivities outside the track. The sponsors and teams will have their souvenir trailers setup and sometimes there's activities for kids.

Definitely agree with what Bunk said about moving around. TMS doesn't have people checking tickets. The crowd for the Saturday races will be pretty spread out, so I encourage you to buy the cheapest tickets and explore around different spots.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Section PU120 row 48

I don't think he'll make it through both races. I was hoping to catch the end of the trucks then watch Xfinity. Will they have all the pre race stuff out between the two races? We rented a scanner already so I think we're good there.
Bunk Moreland
Those seats will be perfect.
Hershey97
Yes they will, and it's a good idea as nothing will be going on on the track. And you go can scan your tickets out, go walk around the festivities, and then scan back in.
Russ Dalrymple
AG
Johnny Sauter's truck got destroyed in that last wreck.
Russ Dalrymple
AG
The carcass that was once Johnny Sauter's truck.

TRM
AG
Chevy dominates qualifying for the Coca-Cola 600.
Russ Dalrymple
AG
Very uneventful race tonight. With the exception of Kyle Busch, it's Hendricks Motorsports and everyone else at the moment.
TRM
AG
Larson ran away with that.
Pahdz
Man Ty Gibbs is one salty crybaby when things don't his way. Every interview in a race he doesn't win he sounds like the biggest baby
falcon09
AG
Larson and Hendrick dominated again. They apparently have tied a record set in 1956 by having team mates finish 1-2 in 4 straight races.

Elliott and Larson are going to be really hard to beat with 4 road courses left, plus all of the other tracks that Hendrick has been good at historically.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.