Womens Tennis

41,924 Views | 343 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by taylorswift13
jc97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great match on SEC Network.

Georgia is an amazing team but the Ags are hanging in early.
mullokmotx
AG
TV changed Katya's last name to Thompson. Tatiana/Jayci won at #1 doubles.
mullokmotx
AG
Katya and Riley staved off 3 match points to get to the tie-breaker but lost that 7-4. Announcers said that Dorthea fell the other day and hurt her right elbow so she doesn't use her right arm hardly at all. Georgia won at #2 doubles also so they got the doubles point.
mullokmotx
AG
Riley loses at #6 singles. Only Renee at #5 won her first set. Jayci at #2 going to a 3rd set.
mullokmotx
AG
Georgia wins 4-0.
aggiesherpa
AG
I wasn't able to watch on tv, but followed the scores. Is there a pretty big gap between us and Georgia? Doubles was very close and maybe that momentum carries over to singles. Just curious from people who have been able to actually watch the girls play.
mullokmotx
AG
Fatigue may have been a factor. We played until about 5 PM yesterday, while Georgia finished about 1 to 1:30 PM. That 3 to 3.5 hrs of rest makes a difference. I think we need almost everything to go right to beat them though.
aggiesherpa
AG
Plus the 2 matches right before the tourney, I could see fatigue definitely playing a part.
Chapa96
AG
GA is currently ranked #2. They are good. I noticed a few from their runner up team in 2019 when I watched them at the USTA Center in 2019. We are definitely closing the gap.
coloradoag69
AG
No one wants to lose, but there is not disgrace in losing to UG in the finals.

Despite the score, we played pretty well. We were within a tie breaker of winning the doubles point. Our #1 doubles team beat theirs in a tight match. Realistically, without that doubles point our ladies had next to no chance of winning the title. As others have mentioned, UG is #2 and has only lost one match all year to #1 UNC.
Anchorhold
Great tournament, ladies.
aggietennisfan
Excellent tournament! Hope we can get a good showing at the Championships!
bigfoot10s
AG
I think it has been mentioned here...

I was told that the women are NOT being considered to host (20 teams selected), but according to a men's coach, the men ARE being considered.

I find this odd since the men will probably drop to around 10, and the women should be around 10 or higher this week. Unless the men's coach was just assuming, why would one program be considered and the other not when their rank is around the same?
Gap
AG
With covid protocols, is the NCAA allowing the same site to host both men's and women's initial rounds?

If A&M was only allowed to bid for one, I imagine the highest rated team at the time of submitting the bid would be the "fairest" decision.

No insight here, but covid always seems to be in the answer to things that don't make sense.
Chapa96
AG
Gap said:

With covid protocols, is the NCAA allowing the same site to host both men's and women's initial rounds?

If A&M was only allowed to bid for one, I imagine the highest rated team at the time of submitting the bid would be the "fairest" decision.

No insight here, but covid always seems to be in the answer to things that don't make sense.
I would think they would allow it since both M&W are at the USTA Center for the Sweet 16 and up.
I, too, find it strange that we weren't selected to host for the Women's.
Gap
AG
I did a quick scan of the hosting guidelines and it appears to me that a school could host both.
Chapa96
AG
Ags move up to #10 in latest rankings!
Chapa96
AG
Ags play Drake at Northwestern in the 1st round.
bigfoot10s
AG
Absolute joke that the women aren't hosting. Beginning to wonder if A&M is trying to run Mark out. They're the ones in charge of the bid process. I think we are the only seed not hosting, but I can't find a list and they are denoted on the draw.

Gotta go whip some ass on the road and hope we don't have to play NW indoors!
aggietennisfan
Hard to fathom that A&M isn't hosting. Doesn't make any sense. Hope Mark isn't thinking about leaving. Certainly the athletic department wouldn't allow that to happen after losing Joffe to Texas. Would be pretty embarrassing!
Onceaggie2.0
Yall shocked women's tennis isnt a priority?
Raven
S
I know the normal rules for hosting were not followed this year. Still it would be nice if someone within the athletic department would let us know why we were not in the mix, apparently from the beginning. Mark's ladies had a very nice season; hoping for the best in the tournament.
Hershey97
From what I saw in the selection show, A&M women are the only seed on the men's or women's side not hosting. Quite infuriating.

Only thing I can guess is that they proposed the host sites earlier in the year. Towards the end of March, Northwestern was ranked #4 in the country, so guess the NCAA didn't expect them to falloff this bad.
Raven
S
I think Hershey is spot on. The 20 potential sites were selected early on. At the time we were probably ranked around 18. For whatever reason we did not make the cut. Don't think it was due to any omission by Mark or the athletic department.
Chapa96
AG
Anyone know if Jess is hurt? Wasnt in the lineup at the SECs.
bigfoot10s
AG
I don't think Jess is playing anymore
Harry Dunne
aggietennisfan said:

Hard to fathom that A&M isn't hosting. Doesn't make any sense. Hope Mark isn't thinking about leaving. Certainly the athletic department wouldn't allow that to happen after losing Joffe to Texas. Would be pretty embarrassing!
We've beaten this horse to death - it is understood that the athletic department does not give a rip.

If Mark wants to leave, he will have plenty of opportunities, just like Howard did. They won't fight to keep him, and that is sad considering what a high-character man and leader he his and how much he has given Aggie tennis.

Part of it is that admin doesn't understand that Aggie tennis is not plug & play. Between Howard and Mark making it a near automatic, everyone has forgotten that a sweet 16 in women's tennis used to be a once in a generation deal.

The other part is the elephant in the room - there has been a strong push for female coaches coaching women's sports and in the sports that an AD doesn't care about, ethics aside, it looks better on their resume to have a mediocre female coach and get the diversity "points" than it does to have a program winning at an elite level.

If they hire a young female when Mark leaves (anything else would be shocking the way things are trending), they might find out really quickly that this is not a plug & play situation. It's a tough job and these are elite coaches and the program could easily and quickly be out of the top 25. I also don't think you're going to hire a successful female (think Alison Ojeda) away from a program that she already has rolling and has a better overall situation than A&M. Ask around college coaching: A&M is considered an out of the top 25 situation in which the coaches are vastly overachieving. But again, administrations that give zero thought to tennis don't know or care about all this and that sucks for Mark and the ten of us here that care, but it is what it is and it ain't gonna change.

BTW I am not a Denton fan and I say this through gritted teeth, but the exact same goes for him. Whatever shots you want to take at him (most of which I agree with), he has really done far better than anyone could hope for and you're not going to hire just anyone that can continue that.

jc97
AG
Is the women's match available online or on TV today?
coloradoag69
AG
Ladies beat Drake 4 - 0. We had won the first set in all the matches, and with the exception of #5 singles which was tied 6-6, we were leading in the two unfinished second sets. As we would hope, it appeared to be a dominating win.

At least on the 12th man website, there was no video link to the matches.
Chapa96
AG
One more win and I get to see them in Florida!
Harry Dunne
Anyone know if the match was played indoors or out?
bigfoot10s
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Anyone know if the match was played indoors or out?
Outdoors
Harry Dunne
Thanks.

That forecast tomorrow shows 50 from noon to 4 PM. Hope it doesn't trend colder or they will push to play it indoors & it will be just what northwestern wants - an indoor match without us having had a chance to play a tune-up match on the same courts.
bigtimeag1977
Weaver will be gone in the next few years. Baylor, LSU, TCU amongst many others will be calling. Can't blame him for leaving. Why stay? Go somewhere that has better facilities and better places to win. Better places to live as well.
bigfoot10s
AG
bigtimeag1977 said:

Weaver will be gone in the next few years. Baylor, LSU, TCU amongst many others will be calling. Can't blame him for leaving. Why stay? Go somewhere that has better facilities and better places to win. Better places to live as well.

I'd say what keeps him around is he played here and I know he loves BCS. It's home to him. Also, his daughter being here may keep him here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.