Womens Tennis

41,476 Views | 343 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by taylorswift13
Chapa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another GREAT recruiting class full of Blue Chippers to add to the several Blue Chippers we have currently on the roster. Exciting times!!!

Recruiting Class

tleeper
AG
Looks like a very strong class. Should bolster the great class we had a couple of years ago.
aggietennisfan
I have been following Aggie tennis for a very long time and I can hardly recall any blue chip American recruits ever in our program. I'm sure there have been a few, but can't think of any. I believe this makes for 7 blue chips signees in a row. #1 recruiting class two times in a row with all Americans. Pretty amazing considering the history of the women's program.
Chapa96
AG
aggietennisfan said:

I have been following Aggie tennis for a very long time and I can hardly recall any blue chip American recruits ever in our program. I'm sure there have been a few, but can't think of any. I believe this makes for 7 blue chips signees in a row. #1 recruiting class two times in a row with all Americans. Pretty amazing considering the history of the women's program.

I'm headed back to Orlando for the NCAAs in May hoping to see Mens and Womens there!! Obviously depending on the rona.
bigfoot10s
AG
And we have a very good walkon coming in December as well.
Ag4eva95
How good of a walk on are we talking? Going to contribute in the lineup?
bigfoot10s
AG
4 star. Same as Robbins. Cannot find her UTR for some reason
Ag4eva95
You think she will contribute? Typically, unless you're a blue chipper, it's hard to make an impact on a top 25 team.

Will Renee or Dorthea be playing in the spring? They didn't play in the fall. Those two are key pieces from being a top 16 seed vs. just making it in the field of 64
bigfoot10s
AG
As far as I know, Renee and Dorothea are coming back for spring.

Lucia is (or wasn't last week) on the roster anymore. Not sure what that's about.
Ag4eva95
I just noticed that. She was a huge contributor. We are really going to need the top of the line up to produce or there could be many tight matches. Excited for next years class to join! The will really provide the depth we need to compete with the top teams in the country.
mullokmotx
AG
Went to the match with Houston today. All 3 doubles and 6 singes matches were played to completion. UH won at #1 doubles but we won everything else, and the singles matches were all won in 2 sets. Okay crowd for first match. Concession stand was not open.
Chapa96
AG
Ags win against WSU 4-1!
Raven
S
Nice win for Mark's ladies!
Gap
AG
#2 UCLA is next on Monday
SA68AG
AG
UCLA steam rolled the Ags 4-0 and showed how far away they are from competing for a championship.

The top of our lineup simply isn't elite.

We're a team full of good #3's and #4's. Better talent is needed at the top of the lineup.
bigtimeag1977
UCLA looks like they could play for it all this year. The team unfortunately did not benefit at all with having any seniors that were able to come back for their extra year much like some other programs. Part of why we are not in the early rankings polls. We will still have a good year as always, but definitely won't be playing for a title. Looks like next year we will have a much more talented group.
Harry Dunne
Mark has done a great job with the program and is recruiting well...unbelievably well actually, since we are dead last in the conference in tennis facilities, which is an embarrassment with all of the money spent on other sports.

Both the men's and women's team have competed at an elite level over the last decade, but if the school wants to be able to take that last step and compete for national championships they are going to have to quit being stingy and build an indoor facility and upgrade the outdoor.
bigfoot10s
AG
And by upgrade the indoors you mean tear them down and build something that isn't junk from day one.
Harry Dunne
Yes, in a perfect world I would like them to tear the outdoor facility down and build something great from the ground up, but I'm doubtful that an athletic dept. that cares so little about tennis that they're willing to be the only school in conference without an indoor facility is going to spend millions on a new outdoors.

But first things first, we desperately need an indoor facility.
aggietennisfan
Recruiting has been about as good as one could hope for especially with all the top American blue chips that are signing. Something that has never been done before here on the women's side. Absolutely unacceptable that our tennis facility is dead last in the SEC.
bigfoot10s
AG
Indoor facility is in the budget for 2021 I believe.
Gap
AG
A&M beat SMU 4-0 this afternoon.

We are playing Abilene Christian now, ACU won the doubles point easily. ACU won at 2 and 3 and was leading at 1 when it finished. We played our top 2 teams at 1 and 2 as well.
Chapa96
AG
bigfoot10s said:

I hope so! Maybe this is A reason of why we are getting all these great recruits. Not the only reason but a reason.
Chapa96
AG
Gap said:

We are playing Abilene Christian now, ACU won the doubles point easily. ACU won at 2 and 3 and was leading at 1 when it finished. We played our top 2 teams at 1 and 2 as well.
Ags end up winning 6-1.

Gap
AG
Chapa96 said:

Gap said:

Ags end up winning 6-1.
That works nicely.
Harry Dunne
bigfoot10s said:

The indoor facility has been in the budget since the Kleinecke era. There was even a rendering online for a while, and this was 10+ years ago. Somehow when it comes time to build it they always find "more important" uses for the money.

Denton has been telling stadium club members that the thing is about to be built for the last decade. At some point he threw the number $15M out there. Baylor's is a functional 6-court but very bare-bones with very minimal seating and I believe that was built for $7M, so 15 should get you a lot...assuming they don't back out and spend the money on another sport.

bigfoot10s
AG
Yeah I've heard stories of Denton telling camp parents the same. Hopefully it happens sometime soon.
SlickRick
Denton is a good and honest man. He is a man of his word and I am sure that he wouldn't say anything that he knew was not true so I am sure that indoors will be built soon.
Harry Dunne
Women's Tennis Signing Class Ranked Third

Great work Mark & Jordan. Stacking one great class after another.
aggietennisfan
Seems like the team will be more of a top 10 level in the years to come. Talent will be greater than in previous years .
carl spacklers hat
bigfoot10s said:

Yeah I've heard stories of Denton telling camp parents the same. Hopefully it happens sometime soon.
Heard it first hand during the closing of a camp 6 or 7 years ago, so yeah, he's been working it for a while.
Harry Dunne
No doubt about it.

You have to remember that NCAA final team Joffe recruited well at Maryland, brought his top 2 players and then combined them with the talent that Mark had recruited for Bobby. BK wasn't one to give others credit and Mark is very understated, but he recruits well and that team had top-25 1-3 talent but lacked depth...before Joffe made it basically an All-Star team. Joffe tried to do the same when he left for Austin but the players were loyal to Mark, and that's not a story he tells because that's not his style, but we do have him to thank for the program not imploding. If Mark hadn't been hired and held that team together you are looking at an exodus of Aggies to Austin and probably another longhorn national championship.

Anyway long story short, the reasonable expectation of what this team should be every year is probably just outside the top 25 if you consider the big picture (tradition, facilities, location, academics, resources Everything that goes into a program of any sport). Without knowing the whole story behind that finals run, a lot of folks made that the new expectation, but the truth is that everytime they bring in a top recruiting class or go to the Sweet 16 they are overachieving. That doesn't mean hopes shouldn't be higher, but it's absolutely unrealistic to expect to compete for a national championship when the athletic department won't even put us in the middle of the pack facility-wise.
aggietennisfan
Completely agree with Harry. The two Maryland transfers were arguably the best two players that ever played at Texas A&M. Joffe had little success in recruiting top Americans at A&M and I know for a fact that is part of why he left. Has anyone seen the new Texas facility? Outdoors and indoors? Both are immaculate. For any diehard Aggie tennis fans you would be embarrassed if you saw what they have compared to what our coaches have. Our athletic directors hopefully recognize the job that both the men's and women's programs have done in the last 10 years or so. When Mitchell was first built, that was a huge advantage we had over a lot of programs. Now, we have no advantage. If it weren't for our coaches, we would have had little to no success in recent years.
Chapa96
AG
Ags win a close one at TCU. We won the doubles and then 2 singles to go up 3-1. TCU ties it. Riley wins it at 6. I believe she was down 3-2 and then wins the next 4!

bigfoot10s
AG
Women drop a 5-2 match to Baylor today at home

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.