***** Official Dallas Stars 2020?-2021 season thread*****

76,820 Views | 1572 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Kashchei
FWAppraiser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heard something similar but not from Pagnotta (although I saw that too). Obviously Columbus would inquire about Klinger. Not sure how far that conversation would go though. BUT, there is apparently some feeling that Klingberg may not be sticking around past his current deal. I guess the feelings are that he'll go to the highest bidder which likely won't be Dallas.
Regardless, Dallas is very interested in Jones. Guess we'll see. "Fun" part of the offseason kicks off this weekend.

TXAggie2011
AG
As much as I love having Klingberg around, a Seth Jones-Miro Heiskanen pairing out there for 25 minutes a game would be pretty delicious.
Cramp00
I would have lost alot of money on who's older.

Klinger is 28, Jones is 26. I feel like Jones has been around for 15 years.
TXAggie2011
AG
Cramp00 said:

I would have lost alot of money on who's older.

Klinger is 28, Jones is 26. I feel like Jones has been around for 15 years.
Haha, yeah, Jones has played 100 more NHL games than Klingberg. He was a full time player at age 19 back with Nashville.
FWAppraiser
AG

Not ideal. Was hoping to re-sign Big Rig.
Looks like Bishop is safe and will need to find Miro a new partner.
TXAggie2011
AG
Dang. That was part of the risk of taking Dickinson off the table, but I guess I had a lot of hope that we had a handshake deal with Oleksiak.

I sure would like to know what discussions the Stars had with Seattle and whether Seattle ever indicated they had interest in Oleksiak. We're not better off having lost Dicksinon and Oleksiak for a 3rd round pick.
TV Casualty
AG
You would think Nill would've expected this. Apparently he felt losing Oleksiak was acceptable.

If he thought he could trade Dickinson and Seattle wouldn't take Oleksiak then he miscalculated badly.
FWAppraiser
AG
Calculated risk, I guess. There was no guarantee that Oleksiak was staying, even if the Stars left Dickinson exposed. In that scenario, you lose both for nothing. Have to think there are plans to bring someone in to play with Miro. If not, this was indeed a bad miscalculation.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
FWAppraiser said:

Calculated risk, I guess. There was no guarantee that Oleksiak was staying, even if the Stars left Dickinson exposed. In that scenario, you lose both for nothing.
Yep - obviously it hurts to lose Oleksiak, but trading Dickinson was the smart play. If Seattle took Dickinson, then Oleksiak has 31 other teams he can sign with. At least we ended up with third round pick out of this instead of nothing.
FTAco07
AG
We couldn't match the money and term Oleksiak would have commanded on the free agent market once Miro signed his long term deal so while I'll miss him this was inevitable. If we would have paid up for him now we would absolutely be losing Klinger after this year. You just can't pay that kind of money to 4 defensemen. The big rig has been great since he's come back, but you can find a cheaper and/or shorter term option for a defense only guy to play alongside Miro.
Danther37
AG
Its bittersweet to lose Rig but definitely replaceable for cheaper. Its time to find the right partner to maximize the investment that was just put in Miro. Additionally, if this helps bring back Klinger next year I'm all for it.
FWAppraiser
AG
Oleksiak getting 5 years and $4.6M per season from Seattle. Yeah, no way the Stars were doing that.
sburg2007
Good for him. Go get paid big rig.
eb93
AG
Those teeth. Mon Dieu.
TXAggie2011
AG
Seattle's Twitter is ruthless

FWAppraiser
AG
Seth Jones to Chicago. So much for that idea.
Cramp00
TV Casualty
AG
Stars trading for more picks. Best available appeared to be goalies
FWAppraiser
AG

Cramp00
U18 made the Canadian national team. Yes Please.
FWAppraiser
AG

Danny Vermin
Suter huh? If he can stay healthy he will be good. Lots of skill.
FWAppraiser
AG
Suter official. 4 years seems a bit much, but it's what was needed. He may be a liability the last year or two but should be great on the 2nd pairing this next season.
Now, we need to add to the forward group with $3-4M to work with.
Looks like we're going all in on the Seguin-Benn-Radulov-Pavelski window which closes after the end of this season.
FWAppraiser
AG
Luke Glendening to Dallas. Good PK/faceoff guy. Decent depth, but doesn't do much offensively. Interesting move but guess someone needs to step in with Dickinson and Cogs gone.
TV Casualty
AG
Four year contract will take him to over 40 years old. Was hoping the money would be a bit less considering they were demanding a 4 year contract.
FWAppraiser
AG
Word is Braden Holtby is signing a one year deal with the Stars. What is going on?! Makes NO sense...unless a big trade is forthcoming.

Cramp00
FWAppraiser
AG
Cramp00
Bishop career over and Oettinger to Austin?
Roll the Bones
AG
That was a surprise! Wonder what Nill has up his sleeve.
FWAppraiser
AG
Have to think Bishop's career is over and/or he's going to LTIR.
Now, Do we trade Doby? Take 3 goalies to camp and let the two veterans determine who gets traded for peanuts? Let Otter split his year between Austin and Dallas and rotate 3 goalies as needed?

My money is on trading Doby and using his and Bishop's money to get a scoring threat at forward. I mean, if you're going all in on this next season, might as well go ALL in.
Then again, it feels very Jim Nill to have a backup plan at goalie in case Doby struggles and/or Otter has a sophomore slump.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Lightning just signed Corey Perry. At this point is he just viewed by the league as a good luck charm, lol? Put Corey Perry on your roster and you're guaranteed the SC finals!
TV Casualty
AG
Jim Nill is certainly busy ensuring that the Texas Stars are set for next year. When does he get started on improving the Dallas Stars?
Kashchei
AG
Remember when ads on helmets were just going to be a one-year thing? Remember when Bettman said ads wouldn't be on jerseys? Well money is ****ing king apparently. Prepare for jerseys to look like this in a few years:

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/08/17/nhl-jersey-ads-reportedly-arriving-with-2022-23-season/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.