***** Official Dallas Stars 2020?-2021 season thread*****

77,037 Views | 1572 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Kashchei
Kashchei
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since the draft is tonight I guess we can consider this the offseason thread too.

Hopefully the Stars can build off their Cup run and continue their youth movement.

Go Stars!
TXAggie2011
AG
What's the buyout timeline? Are we still in that period? I think I could be convinced buying out Cogliano and looking for someone with a little more offensive punch would be the right move.
Kashchei
AG
Buyouts run through the 8th. Free agency starts on the 9th.
Cramp00
Draft coverage on The Ticket for any other degenerates
Danny Vermin
I'm watching on NBCsn. 8 picks away for us. I would take the chance on Hendrix Lapierrie if he's still there. Why not go for a home run with the 30th pick
Danny Vermin
Welp, there goes that idea.
Cramp00
Hope I'm wrong but with that medical history I don't see much of an NHL career
Cramp00
PICK THIS S NILL

also blow it up and send benn to seattle
Danny Vermin
Mavrik Borque....Great name and the guys all praised how smart the kid is. High Hockey IQ
Kashchei
AG
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/295299/mavrik-bourque

Was hoping for Peterka or Khusnutdinov, but this seems like a solid pick.
Cramp00
Nill injury and draft press conference Thursday
TXAggie2011
AG
Some people really, really like Bourque. Seems all around solid pick.

San Jose signing Ozzy's name for his mom was the best way to end tonight. Nice work, and like that Tampa doesn't get a 1st round talent into their system.
TXAggie2011
AG
So Vegas is slightly over the cap as it sits today, I think.

Would it be against the rules if the rest of the league agrees not to trade for Fleury and screw them over for the next two seasons?
Cramp00
lunch pail, coach on the ice type
TXAggie2011
AG
Faksa, Gurianov, Hintz, and Joel L'esperance receive qualifying offers.

Landon Bow, Josh Melnick, and Tony Calderone do not.

Bow just never progressed in Cedar Park. Calderone is going to have to re-establish himself as a pro somewhere in the ECHL. Melnick will have a decent AHL career, but I'm not sure the talent is there to ever stick at the NHL level.
TXAggie2011
AG
Drafts are more fun when your team occasionally has a pick
FWAppraiser
AG
Cramp00
Hate it but the Stars can't afford to pay Dobby what he can get on the market. Overpaying benn, seguin, bishop at this point in their contracts. That money needs to go elsewhere. Bishop needs to stay healthy (unlikely) and we sign a vet to a 1 year deal while Oettinger gets games in the minors.
Kashchei
AG
Hope he doesn't go, especially with Ben "Glass" Bishop, but I kinda figured as much.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'd speculate that its not just the average annual value, but possibly the term.

I imagine the Stars would strongly prefer a 1 year deal and certainly no more than 2, while Dobby, understandably, at his age and with his value never higher, wants to see if he can get 3 years and certainly wants at least 2.

I hope it works out, but both sides might have to amicably agree it just isn't the right fit. The Stars probably just can't provide neither the years nor the money. Maybe if the goalie market, with so many teams struggling with the salary cap, doesn't develop they find a way. Not holding my breath, though.

Hanging over all of this is the coming expansion draft. The Stars will have to expose a goaltender under contract for 2021-2022. Oettinger will be protected as a young player, and Bishop would have to waive his no movement clause.
FWAppraiser
AG

FYI
FWAppraiser
AG
Yowzers:

Jamie Benn: shoulder surgery just before pandemic
Blake Comeau: separated shoulder
Jason Dickinson: ankle and foot injuries
Radek Faksa: broken wrist
Roope Hintz: fractured ankle and injured hip
Tyler Seguin: knee issues late in season, torn labrum in hip. Looking at options for surgery. Four month time for rehab.
Taylor Fedun: knee injury.
Stephen Johns: didn't feel comfortable playing anymore.
Esa Lindell: injured hand.
Ben Bishop: knee surgery late in May.
John Klingberg: injured shoulder in round robin.
Miro Heiskanen: injured hip vs. Vegas.
Anton Khudobin: surgery yesterday on his arm, numbness in his hands because of nerve issue.

Looks like Johns is done and Seguin will miss the start of the season (IF they actually start Jan 1).
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Stephen Johns: didn't feel comfortable playing anymore.
So, I don't mean to sound cold---I know this must be agonizing for him and I feel pain for him---but if he's going to retire, I hope he can make that decision sooner rather than later.

If he's not going to be a contributor, it'd be real nice to get than $2.35 million freed up. It'd go a long ways towards finding a new 6th defender or *ahem* Anton Khudobin.
FWAppraiser
AG
Fair enough, but for all we know, he and Nill have already had that conversation. It's perfectly reasonable to think Nill knows and is operating with the knowledge that the money will be there. Nill will allow Johns to make the announcement on his own time. (Assuming he's walking away...that's just the way this seems to be headed)
FWAppraiser
AG
Free agency starts today. Perry, Janmark, and Khudobin will UFA as of 11:00. The Stars would only be able to make a splash via trade given the cap situation and needing to get Faksa, Hintz and Gurianov under contract. Dobby is still a possibility to return, but I'm not holding my breath.

Given the above, what would you say if Dallas could get Joe Thornton on a Perry-like deal for one year? The Stars made a run at him at the trade deadline back in February, Joe wants a cup, and the Stars could use a little more grit/veteran leadership since we seem reserved to let the "kids" take over a good chunk of the roster. I would have to think Jumbo wouldn't mind playing with Pavelski again, he expressed frustration back in February that he wasn't traded to a cup contender, and the financial commitment from the Stars would be negligible. I'm by no means saying this should be done or should be the only thing done. Just throwing it out there because the rumors are there that it's at least a possibility.
Danny Vermin
I wouldn't mind having Jumbo on a cheap one year deal but I honestly would love Perry back if possible. He was hurt at the beginning of the year and when he was healthy, he was really a catalyst for this offense.
FWAppraiser
AG
TXAggie2011
AG

Wow.
TXAggie2011
AG
If this is happening...

Seems like they believe Stephen Johns must be coming off the payroll and/or they they've made good progress on some decent contracts for Hintz/Faksa/Gurianov.

Also, have to figure that if he has a good season and Oettinger progresses in the AHL, they may entice Seattle to draft Khudobin in the expansion draft...win/win/win.
Cramp00
Dobby
FWAppraiser
AG
Looks to be an AAV of $3.33M with 2.5 this season, and 3.75 the 2 years following. Great compromise giving him the 3rd year but not overpaying. That lower first year will help as well.
Cappo
AG
Dobby!

good deal for 3 years on 1b if that's what he still will be
TXAggie2011
AG
Stars about to make some of that money back from jersey sales
Kashchei
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Stars about to make some of that money back from jersey sales

They're about to make some from me before next season!
TXAggie2011
AG
Kevin Shattenkirk leaving Tampa for Anaheim. They put Tyler Johnson on waivers earlier. That's 65 points. Vegas traded Paul Stastny to Winnipeg for a bucket of pucks earlier today

I'm gonna revel in it every time those two lose a solid player.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.