**2020 NASCAR Cup Series**

29,025 Views | 431 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TRM
TRM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like short tracks but I also liked Auto Club, so I am fine either way.

Oh, don't mess with Texas!
TRM
AG
Jimmie is racing for Ganassi in IndyCar on a 2 yr deal.

Bowyer and Kyle Busch lost their crew chiefs this weekend at Richmond.
10Aggie10
AG
For the most part, I agree - don't mess with Texas.

I disagree with Pahdz regarding Texas becoming a short track. If anything, I wish they had made Texas a superspeedway (as in the longest oval on the circuit at maybe 2.75+ miles) since "everything is bigger in Texas".
Pahdz
The most boring races I've ever been to were at TMS. I just think it could/should be so much better there.
Russ Dalrymple
AG
Didn't they reconfigure Texas a while back that kinda ruined the racing there from what it was originally? Or am I thinking of another track?
TV Casualty
AG
Russ Dalrymple said:

Didn't they reconfigure Texas a while back that kinda ruined the racing there from what it was originally? Or am I thinking of another track?

They changed the banking a few years back. My brother did some of the survey work for it.

To me TMS has always been a boring track for Nascar. The first race everyone wrecked in the first turn. The track had water seepage problems. They never could get a second groove established. Usually, you would have about 3 to 5 cars that would lap the field.

The winner typically would run away with it by a quarter or half a lap. Cars just spread out around the track like a conveyor belt. I guess it's a good track if you like watching the leader pass lapped cars.

It was always a better track for IndyCar. They could run multiple lines and actually battle for positions. After the banking changes it seems like IndyCar has not been as good though.

lunchbox
Bubba Wallace leaving Richard Petty Motorsports...
TRM
AG
Wasn't Bubba to Ganassi a rumor last month?
lunchbox
I didn't post the article because it is behind a paywall (The Athletic) but yes, that's the rumor.

Edit - here is the article from ESPN...

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/29853350/nascar-driver-bubba-wallace-leaving-richard-petty-motorsports-season
TRM
AG
Trucks race tonight!
Pahdz
Also on the Athletic, a really cool piece about how NASCAR got iracing involved earlier this year to start work on the Auto Club reconfiguration.
10Aggie10
AG
Pahdz said:

The most boring races I've ever been to were at TMS. I just think it could/should be so much better there.

I agree that it should be much better.
I disagree that it should become a short track; I think they should make it like Talladega, but even better
Pahdz
I'd be down with that
lunchbox
Bristol tonight!

Will be interesting to see what kinds of risks the bottom 4 playoff drivers take to try to advance...
lunchbox
Kyle Busch and Hamlin failed inspection and have to start at back of field.
Pahdz
Kyle Busch is mowing fools down
lunchbox
Pahdz said:

Kyle Busch is mowing fools down
Lapped traffic prevented him from winning the stage but he took the lead in the pits.
lunchbox
Looks like Byron won't be able to get above the cut line
lunchbox
https://sports.yahoo.com/could-michael-jordan-be-part-of-bubba-wallaces-new-team-015812057.html

lunchbox
https://theathletic.com/2082618/2020/09/21/nascar-moving-all-star-race-to-texas-clearing-the-way-to-add-a-cup-race-at-cota/

Quote:

NASCAR is planning to hold the 2021 All-Star Race at Texas Motor Speedway while taking one of its two Cup Series points races away, a move that is expected to make room for a Cup race at Circuit of The Americas in Austin, The Athletic has learned.

The All-Star Race would move to Texas as a concession for the track losing a date, which would in turn create an opening on the schedule for a points-paying race at COTA. It's believed the All-Star Race would shift from its traditional May date toward the middle of the season.
lunchbox
Pahdz
That's pretty damn cool. Be interesting to see if they can become a Furniture Row level JGR alliance team.
TRM
AG
They'll go out of business like all the other Toyota allied teams.
Pahdz
Not what I meant
lunchbox
I wonder if they will be able to swing a deal for the 23 number...wikipedia says that it belongs to Front Row Motorsports from when they took over the assets of BK Racing.
Gap
AG
lunchbox said:

I wonder if they will be able to swing a deal for the 23 number...wikipedia says that it belongs to Front Row Motorsports from when they took over the assets of BK Racing.
Ooh. That would be pretty cool and iconic. I hope they get it done.
lunchbox
Gap said:

lunchbox said:

Ooh. That would be pretty cool and iconic. I hope they get it done.
Agreed - I'm hoping this pulls in some Nike sponsorship $$$.

I'm also hoping they make the car look like an Air Jordan (as goofy as that sounds)
Pahdz
Maybe 45 is available?
TRM
AG
Big win for Kurt Busch. He was 12th in points coming into the Round of 12. Dega next week.
Pahdz
2021 schedule sounds fun

The good

Two 1.5 mile tracks gone
More road courses!
Indy oval switched for Indy road course

The bad

Bristol dirt race? Uh...I don't think that's gonna go as planned
Russ Dalrymple
AG
For this weekend. Love me some super speedway racing

Hershey97

All 3 series will race at Circuit of the Americas May 21-23
Russ Dalrymple
AG

Timmy Hill's car for Talladega.

I'm a Timmy Hill fan, he has had some good schemes this year, this one looks good as well, just too bad he is in such old equipment that he probably won't be able to compete.
78669AG
Hershey97 said:

All 3 series will race at Circuit of the Americas May 21-23

I'm surprised TMS is letting this happen
TRM
AG
They're getting the All-Star Race in exchange for it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.