Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

557,960 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
Jaycad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cottonmouths range in color from brown with dark stripes to black with hardly any stripes but you will know the difference by the way the swim and they are aggresion
12f Mane
AG
quote:
Cottonmouths range in color from brown with dark stripes to black with hardly any stripes but you will know the difference by the way the swim and they are aggresion

True regarding the colors, but the aggression thing isn't always true. I'd say as a whole, the various Nerodia sp. that they are most often confused with are more aggressive. The eye stripe and lip stripes are a good indicator, the cottonmouth having the former and lacking the latter.
KDubAg
AG
I usually send this pic out to people who get confused between the venomous cottonmouth and non-venomous water snake.

I don't know how many people have told me they killed a cottonmouth and they show me a pic of it. Only for me to tell them it wasn't a venomous cottonmouth but a harmless non venomous water snake.

jbanda
AG
This guy popped out from underneath a covered smoker into a crowd of kids. It was coiled and struck at my dads shoe. Arrow shaped head. My dad managed to step on the head and we took off the head with a shovel. Apologies if it was non poisonous but we didn't have time do a proper ID with the kids around.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
You're a college grad?

So you've only had like what? 20? 30? years to ID a venomous snake? Not to mention your dad.

No time indeed.
jakeaggie84
AG
That looks like it could be a cotton mouth from that angle. Picture of the head?
Throwout
AG
We're going to need you to hold the mouth open and take a pic to confirm whether or not it had fangs.
12f Mane
AG
It's a cottonmouth
jbanda
AG
I'm not sure I get what your asking me. The rhing is striking and I didn't want to find out if it was poisonous.

It's already chucked over the fence.
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
So I thought I was getting good at this but I did not think that was a cottonmouth - how did you tell without a good look at his head?
jbanda
AG
If coiled up and struck my dads shoe. The arrow shaped head was easy to spot.
End Of Message
AG
quote:
So I thought I was getting good at this but I did not think that was a cottonmouth - how did you tell without a good look at his head?

The short fat tail is what I fixed in on.
4stringAg
AG
Been bank fishing at a lot of lakes and ponds over the years and it's been my experience that 12fmane is right in that the water snakes are more aggressive than moccasins
jakeaggie84
AG
quote:

The pattern, although can vary greatly, is what initially caught my attention. Then the nose and face. You could see a bit of ahorizobtal line with lighter color under.
Wrighty
AG
My chickens had seemingly been taking days off of laying eggs. Snake has eaten it's last egg.

Sean98
AG
quote:
My chickens had seemingly been taking days off of laying eggs.

Beeches be lazy.
FishrCoAg
AG
pic won't load.
Señor Chang
AG
Snake got a frog in my backyard. Can anyone identify the type of snake?

Edit: checkered garter snake?

12f Mane
AG
Correct
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
That's one big ace frog!
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Sure would love to see later photos to see if he got that mouthful down.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
quote:
Sure would love to see later photos to see if he got that mouthful down.

You'd be surprised to see what a snake can swallow. Didn't used to think a rattlesnake could take down a full grown rabbit until I watched it up close and in person.

I'm also of the understanding that most wild snakes will not kill something they cannot eat. Sometimes it takes them a while to figure out how to get it down (and can be quite an entertaining show) but they usually do.
law80
AG
Need help with a snake ID. This little guy was inside out house by the front door. Probably a foot in length maybe a little more. Looks like a rat snake but wanted to see what you guys thought.

https://imgur.com/a/zfa3m
ttha_aggie_09
AG
you're correct.
RockinU
Not sure why, but we seem to have had an explosion in the local "cobra" population...

and yeah...I"m that guy who can't help playing with them till they "die" from it.

FishrCoAg
AG
https://imgur.com/c9ZPtT3

ZooGuy
AG
Cool hognoses. My favorite snakes.
12f Mane
dodger02
AG
little help with a late night ID:

ttha_aggie_09
AG
If you really need help on this ID poke it with a long stick and see what sound it makes.

I sense sarcasm but you never know...
Post removed:
by user
dodger02
AG
Not a troll. A little (very little) late night levity. I was waiting for the #snakelivesmatter folks to scold me.

Dog found it next to the house about 15' from where we both would have taken our 1am pee break.

It's the 2nd one we have found and the reason we tell the kids to pay attention.
Sean98
AG
quote:
Not a troll. A little (very little) late night levity. I was waiting for the #snakelivesmatter folks to scold me.

Dog found it next to the house about 15' from where we both would have taken our 1am pee break.

It's the 2nd one we have found and the reason we tell the kids to pay attention.

You're younger than me! Why do you need a 1am pee break?

... Or maybe you're younger than me so you're still awake at 1am.
B-1 83
AG

This was a few weeks ago on a separate thread, but I wanted to put it in the right place with the other 2016 snake hall of fame members.
End Of Message
AG
That eye band

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.