Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

556,178 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
Throwout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hoelag13 said:

I screwed up by telling my wife about it and showed her the picture of the snake. Now she is refusing to go to my farm for a while.
I'm not seeing how you screwed up. Doesn't sound like a bad result...
suburban cowboy
AG

Courtesy Flush
AG
I need to give my dad a very basic book about snakes in Texas and dog ear the pages with rattlesnakes, rat snakes and the various water snakes. We still get into arguments when he starts talking about the rattlesnake that he killed outside his house that did not have a rattle. After 2 years he still gets mad when I tell him it was not a rattle snake. He reverts back to his days as a youth working in the watermelon fields in South Texas and all the snakes laying up under the watermelons. The convo always reverts to him asking "just how many watermelons have you picked up with a pissed off rattlesnake sitting under them".
Allen76
AG
Haha, I know the feeling. My dad is long gone now. He was very well read, a farmer/rancher, and outdoors his entire life. He called most things correctly, but he had names for certain things that were not correct but maybe they were the same as what his friends called them. In particular there was the chicken snake and the mouse snake. I am guessing that most rat snakes were his "chicken snake" and most garter snakes were the "mouse snake". He obviously knew his venomous snakes, bull snakes, and coach whips.

He was the same way with the names of native plants. Although many are named similar, he had "buckbrush" and "skunkbrush" and probably a few others.
rather be fishing
AG
Allen76 said:

Haha, I know the feeling. My dad is long gone now. He was very well read, a farmer/rancher, and outdoors his entire life. He called most things correctly, but he had names for certain things that were not correct but maybe they were the same as what his friends called them. In particular there was the chicken snake and the mouse snake. I am guessing that most rat snakes were his "chicken snake" and most garter snakes were the "mouse snake". He obviously knew his venomous snakes, bull snakes, and coach whips.

He was the same way with the names of native plants. Although many are named similar, he had "buckbrush" and "skunkbrush" and probably a few others.

My dad is good with his venomous snake ID as he was always the go to snake removal person at the Sheriff's Department, but I've heard him call a hog nose a puff adder more than once.
FTAG 2000
AG
Two days without a post. Quick, someone post something interesting!

I check the outdoor board every day for updates on this thread, I need a fix!
blackgoldag11
AG
I saw a snake in my pants but can't post it
FrioAg 00
AG
Earthworm
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I drove to three rivers today and when I got around Goliad, all I could think when I passed every creek was, is this snake creek?
blackgoldag11
AG
Bingo
Chazz03
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Earthworm

Hey that's my joke
12f Mane
AG
Here's a couple of copperheads I found over the holiday break. First one from Goliad County second from Fort Bend County.

GE
AG
12f Mane said:

Here's a couple of copperheads I found over the holiday break. First one from Goliad County second from Fort Bend County.

Whereabouts in Fort Bend?
12f Mane
AG
Sugar Land
AZAG08
AG
12f Mane said:

Sugar Land
Burn the whole city down
12f Mane
AG
AZAG08 said:

12f Mane said:

Sugar Land
Burn the whole city down
Creme brulee
AZAG08
AG
12f Mane said:

AZAG08 said:

12f Mane said:

Sugar Land
Burn the whole city down
Creme brulee
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
12f Mane said:

That second one is a beaut!
12f Mane
AG
I'm partial to the first but don't disagree
Bird93
AG
A Copperhead is one of those beautiful things I'd just prefer not to see...unless it's behind glass or on a glossy print.
4stringAg
AG
Interesting how the pattern breaks on the first one in his "middle section"....really full coloration on him too, not as "washed out"
htxag09
htxag09
AG
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/12/02/ravenous-14-foot-python-caught-with-3-deer-in-its-gut.html

Quote:

A Burmese python in the Everglades with a penchant for venison gulped down three whole deer one doe and two fawns before wildlife officials captured and euthanized it, a new study reveals.
Zemira
AG
Remind me to never visit the Everglades. I don't think I could sleep knowing the snakes there eat deer for fun.
tx4guns
AG
FIFY

SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

12f Mane said:

That second one is a fat fu#k!!
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Centerpole90
AG
Thought you guys would appreciate something a FL/Everglades fishing guide I follow shared on his IG- I would imagine that little Hells Bay skiff would feel like a canoe with this swimming toward you.

https://instagr.am/p/BNp5hgujpV8
AgEng06
AG
NOPE
TheVarian
AG
Throwout
AG
Ratsnake.
txags92
AG
He forgot # travel blogger and #jeepinafrica...oh wait, wrong thread.
Post removed:
by user
Ag210
AG
A little late but found this little guy about a month ago while tracking a doe

Zemira
AG
After this thread I don't think you could get me to go willingly to the Everglades.
hillcountryag86
AG
Ag210 said:

A little late but found this little guy about a month ago while tracking a doe

How in the world did you see him????

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.