Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

556,188 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
ATX_AG_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My thoughts are that'd be one hell of a butterfly effect chain of events to occur.
ZooGuy
AG
quote:
Snake still maintains its reflexes and is still capable of biting--even after the head is cut off. Always been told to dig a hole and bury them after.

Yes, this. Venom can be viable in some situations even if snake has been dead for years.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sounds like folklore
RockinU
quote:
quote:
Son is a land surveyor. Came across this today. Sorry ursus and 12f

After they chop off the head, they should make sure they dispose of it properly.

Or just don't touch it at all. I'm the guy who got venom on his hands, then in his eyes...that sucks a lot. I take no issue with people who feel the need to kill venomous snakes, it's only prudent in some instances, but be danged careful handling them even when dead.
GSPag`
This is my favorite thread on TexAgs. Keep em coming.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's unreal! Incredible.

Does it depend on the type of venom (neuro vs hemo) or is it just a quality of specific snakes that make it last that long?
george92
quote:
quote:
Son is a land surveyor. Came across this today. Sorry ursus and 12f

After they chop off the head, they should make sure they dispose of it properly.

Not sure if this is a Polish thing or not, but in our area, Wilson and Karnes County, they would hang the dead rattlesnakes on the fence. Supposed to make it rain.
ellebee
Guys let's not be hanging any more rattlesnakes on fences until at least August. Kthanks
EFE
AG
We did it in Bexar and LaSalle as well.
Darby
I had some employees who killed this one last week on a job site. ID anyone?

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Really hard to zoom in and tell on mobile but I about 99% sure it's non-venomous.
Darby
Bull snake maybe?
12f Mane
AG
Yellowbellied watersnake
12f Mane
AG
Watch out for copperheads in the woodpile!

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
pretty copperhead
ursusguy
Darby
Copperhead gotta be the prettiest snake in Texas
If there was such a thing
12f Mane
AG
Unfortunately I couldn't get it out of there for a full body shot
Rocky Top Aggie
AG
I agree (except I'd say prettiest snake in Tennessee). They are gorgeous creatures.
agent-maroon
AG
Personally think that corn snakes are prettier, but they might not make the cut because they're not native to Texas
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
12f Mane
AG
We do have cornsnakes in Texas, they just don't look like the pretty ones in the east

carpe vinum
AG
I'm partial to milk snakes. I have one that lives in a stump in the front yard for the past few years. Real docile, I've picked him up more times than I can remember.

I've seen 2 Copperheads here, they have great coloration, but they can't stay here.
agent-maroon
AG
I think those Texas corn snakes are still pretty. Although I might be biased since I had one as a pet during my time at A&M.

Hated to give my corn snake up but my wife at the time made me choose between them. Tough decision. On one hand I had a cold blooded creature incapable of human emotions. On the other, I had a beautiful reptile. I chose... poorly.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
carpe vinum
AG
ZooGuy
AG
quote:
I think those Texas corn snakes are still pretty. Although I might be biased since I had one as a pet during my time at A&M.

Hated to give my corn snake up but my wife at the time made me choose between them. Tough decision. On one hand I had a cold blooded creature incapable of human emotions. On the other, I had a beautiful reptile. I chose... poorly.

I told my wife that I wasn't getting rid of any of my snakes. Now, she goes to reptile expos with me and names them.
jakeaggie84
AG
Found this guy on the front steps after the baseball game last night.

Stive
AG
From that angle it looks like a THICK copperhead!

And pretty pattern/color!
ZooGuy
AG
Probably been eating all the extra critters from all the rain.
Tursiops93
AG
quote:
Probably been eating all the extra critters from all the rain.
Or solicitors!
TSJ
AG
This little guy was getting some sun right by my fire pit. Wife didn't see when she walked right past him, then proceeded to flip out when I pointed it out. What do we got?

Post removed:
by user
nealan
Hognose. I think
ZooGuy
AG
Hognose. Harmless.
TSJ
AG
quote:
Hognose. Harmless.
Reading up on them, we will let them go next time. Thanks for y'alls help.
ZooGuy
AG
It's my favorite species. I've had every hognose snake type from the entire globe at one point or another. Had one as a kid. Took it to school and scared my teacher for show and tell. Still have a western hognose now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.