Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

556,160 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
BadAzzBohemian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Being that we back up to Barker Reservoir... probably lots of reinforcements on the way.
MouthBQ98
AG
It's looking for rats and mice and such.

You might just get a snake stick and grab it, because killing it with a gun is not easy. Hitting the head or heart is the only sure kill, and how do you see where the heart is?

First pic I could tell it was a moccasin, the head is very distinctively a viper head, and the band pattern was correct.

They make a terrible fuss if you disturb them, but are much less biters than rattlers. They posture and mock strike a lot though.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Depending on where you back up to Barker Resovoir, you might have more snakes than you know...

In fact, if someone wanted to go on a Texags snake find, I would go along mason creek right at dusk from east of fry road (near Pattison elementary) all the way back until it intersects with buffalo bayou. Used to do this as a kid and would encounter dozens of snakes, most of which were harmless.
STX Ag
AG
Holy sheet bohemian that's about my worst nightmare. What if he crawls in your attic and gets into your ceiling fan and falls on your face while you're sleeping?
willis01
Need an ID. Can I email the pic to someone? Thanks.
PabloEsteban87
AG
quote:
Holy sheet bohemian that's about my worst nightmare. What if he crawls in your attic and gets into your ceiling fan and falls on your face while you're sleeping?

Night night, sleep tight. Don't let the cottonmouth bite.
PabloEsteban87
AG
quote:
Need an ID. Can I email the pic to someone? Thanks.

Going to go ahead and guess rat snake just to be safe.
willis01
Don't think it is a rat snake comparing it to the other pictures on this thread. Fat, short, and all gray/black. Hoping it is an eastern hog nose or yellow bellied water snake.
BuddysBud
AG
If it has a dark stripe through its eye, like a raccoon, it is a cottonmouth.
PabloEsteban87
AG
quote:
Don't think it is a rat snake comparing it to the other pictures on this thread. Fat, short, and all gray/black. Hoping it is an eastern hog nose or yellow bellied water snake.

Just messing around. A large percentage of snake pics that get posted here turn out to be rat snakes.
From your description it could be anything. Maybe even a black mamba.
willis01
Let's see if I can get this to work. Have not posted a picture in a long while.

My mother-in-law took this picture today with her phone when playing with the kids in our backyard. Our mini schnauzer barked at it for several minutes and it did not strike at her. My M-i-L said the picture came out gray, but the snake was actually dark black.

Thanks for the help...and the snake still lives, too.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
I need some help on this one but I'm pretty sure that's a hognose.

The solid color and lack of pattern are throwing me off.
PabloEsteban87
AG
quote:
Let's see if I can get this to work. Have not posted a picture in a long while.

My mother-in-law took this picture today with her phone when playing with the kids in our backyard. Our mini schnauzer barked at it for several minutes and it did not strike at her. My M-i-L said the picture came out gray, but the snake was actually dark black.

Thanks for the help...and the snake still lives, too.

Can't see it's face as clearly as I would like, it certainly appears to have the distinctive turned up nose of the hognose. Agree that the lack of pattern doesn't help with ID. Also would help if you could see it's tail. Still, I'm going with hognose. Definitely a harmless variety.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yellow bellied water snake
12f Mane
AG
Hognose
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Damnit
12f Mane
12f Mane
AG
The lack of pattern is somewhat unusual in Texas but you can see the distinctive nose pretty well in the photo.
ZooGuy
AG
quote:
The lack of pattern is somewhat unusual in Texas but you can see the distinctive nose pretty well in the photo.

Not all that uncommon in certain parts of Texas.
12f Mane
AG
You're right, but I would put no more than 10% of hognose in the state un-patterned, IME.
Allen76
AG
The only Hognose I have ever seen in the wild looked pure black like that one. We were exploring the Medina River bottom and came across it with a large frog in its mouth. We bothered it enough that it released the frog. One of the adults in our group called it a spreading adder.
STX Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Night night, sleep tight. Don't let the cottonmouth bite.
Jeff84
AG
This was at our back door moments before my special needs daughter walked barefoot out to the truck...

[URL=.html][/URL]
End Of Message
AG
Not sure the picture is linked properly. What kind of snake was it?
CanyonAg77
AG
Have to link from a hosting site, not your computer, Jeff. Sorry. If you don't have a photobucket or other account, email the pic to someone on the thread, they'll put it up.
ZooGuy
AG
quote:
This was at our back door moments before my special needs daughter walked barefoot out to the truck...

[URL=.html][/URL]

Hognose. Harmless. The only time I was ever bitten by my hognose was when I was handling it's food.
Courtesy Flush
AG

My biggest fear with snakes is if one bites me and then for some reason won't (or can't) let go and I've got a snake attached to me. I'm not sure if I would have the ability to actually grab it and pull it off or just die from cardiac arrest on the spot.

ellebee
I had a leopard gecko (think regular gecko but about about 4 or 5x larger) bite me on my knuckle and he wouldn't let go. There was nothing I could do but just wait. Hurt like a sonofa***** too.
PabloEsteban87
AG
quote:

Hope these pics work. First time I've tried to post a pic from Imgur.
Saw this guy while baling hay yesterday. He shot into a windrow so I had to make him crawl out then had to grab his tail a couple of times to get him to pose for me. First coachwhip I've seen in quite a while. Seems like we used to see them with regularity every time we baled hay.
Edited to add that it's a yellow bellied racer and not a coachwhip as 12fmane pointed out.
PabloEsteban87
AG
Ok I didn't do something right on the pics. Maybe someone can help me.
GinaLinetti
AG

PabloEsteban87
AG
quote:

Thanks.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Another neighborhood snake... ID?

ttha_aggie_09
AG
You're 2/2 for water moccasins
GinaLinetti
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.