Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

556,174 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
Walter Kovacs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Medina county rough greensnake

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Made a trip out to the Houston Zoo today and took my son through the reptiles to show him the snakes we usually don't go through there but when I said I want to my wife laughed at me because of my new found infatuation with snakes (because of this thread)

This first guy we all know of course but he is so cool looking I'm posting it anyways
[URL=.html][/URL]

Now for the quiz: this one wasn't labeled so my guess is, Timber Rattler
[URL=.html][/URL]

[URL=.html][/URL]

[URL=.html][/URL]

[URL=.html][/URL]

My takeaways... I really enjoyed sharing the stuff I've learned on here with the wife, Bil and Sil.

The Gabon wasn't as big as expected.

There are alot more rat snakes than I thought. Same with pit vipers and rat snakes.

I wish the labels listed locations not just names.

And

I was surprised to see the green mamba laying on the black mamba. Along with a few other snakes going the same.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ps. 12fmane give everyone a chance to play lol
ellebee
Rat snake
Rat snake
Hog nose
Rat snake
Garter snake
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
0-5
Zemira
AG
So apparently my friends like snakes.

pregnant boa supposedly
ellebee
quote:
0-5

I don't need your negativity in my life.
4stringAg
AG
#2 is a Taylor's Cantil

#4 a Cottonmouth??
Serious Lee
#2 banded water snake

#3 prairie rattlesnake

#4 watter moccasin

?

Serious Lee
quote:
#2 is a Taylor's Cantil

#4 a Cottonmouth??
had no idea WTF this is until a google search but appears you are correct
12f Mane
tx4guns
AG
That was a new one for me, too. You can tell they are a cousin of the cottonmouth by their appearance.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
It was listed as a pit viper but not cantil. Does appear to be the same.

4 is a cotton mouth as well.
Badace52
AG
1. Timber Rattlesnake

2. Cantil... apparently taylor's

3.???, definitely venomous and a member of viperidae family, and I think the one in the corner is a different species, maybe rock rattlesnake?

4. Cottonmouth, (If you can't get this one by now, you're fired.)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
1. Had rattles but no label.

3. Labels said 2 different species of rattle snakes so I didn't know which was which.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
I love this thread and would like some clarification from the experts. Long story so basic question is can a rattlesnake bite break a bone? When I was about 7 or 8 I took a summer herpatolgy class. I remember being in the building on the muni golf course in bryan. 2nd floor of a building near where the pool used to be as well as being on campus in a massive, to my young mind, classroom. The instructor was a skinny guy with a beard. Well between classes he went to a rattlesnake roundup in west Texas and came back with a cast. He said it was from a bite. Almost 40 years later I'm wondering if he was joking with us. Forgot to mention it was his arm.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
That was a new one for me, too. You can tell they are a cousin of the cottonmouth by their appearance.

Same here. Never heard of the cantil before now. Cool stuff.
Serious Lee
shout out to all the photographers ITT. I just tried to take a picture of a (really really fat) yellow belly watersnake that i caught on my trotline but its not worth posting. I was admittedly shaking in my boots but still, not sure how yall guys get these HD pics.
Badace52
AG
Oh I see the beads now... So I'm going to say:
3. ridge nosed rattlesnake even though it looks a little off on the pattern but I can't think of another rattler with a white lip like that which would make the other one a rock rattlesnake for sure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BuddysBud
AG
quote:
shout out to all the photographers ITT. I just tried to take a picture of a (really really fat) yellow belly watersnake that i caught on my trotline but its not worth posting. I was admittedly shaking in my boots but still, not sure how yall guys get these HD pics.
Had it just eaten or was it one of those short, fat yellow belly water snakes that has a dark line along its eyes?
12f Mane
AG
quote:
Oh I see the beads now... So I'm going to say:
3. ridge nosed rattlesnake even though it looks a little off on the pattern but I can't think of another rattler with a white lip like that which would make the other one a rock rattlesnake for sure.
12f Mane
AG
quote:
I love this thread and would like some clarification from the experts. Long story so basic question is can a rattlesnake bite break a bone? When I was about 7 or 8 I took a summer herpatolgy class. I remember being in the building on the muni golf course in bryan. 2nd floor of a building near where the pool used to be as well as being on campus in a massive, to my young mind, classroom. The instructor was a skinny guy with a beard. Well between classes he went to a rattlesnake roundup in west Texas and came back with a cast. He said it was from a bite. Almost 40 years later I'm wondering if he was joking with us. Forgot to mention it was his arm.
No. Snakes have very little pressure in their bites.
OnlyForNow
AG
What about just the strike?

What kinda force are we talking about their head slamming into you?
ShaggyAggie01
AG
quote:

not bone breaking force. Not that I have first hand experience, but the physics just aren't there, they don't weigh all that much.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
quote:

not bone breaking force. Not that I have first hand experience, but the physics just aren't there, they don't weigh all that much.

as someone with personal experience (hit on pointer finger), it isn't a lot of force...especially when you're hammered. the aftermath isn't much fun though.
ZooGuy
AG
I'm going to say one of the rattlers on #3 is a Mottled Rock Rattlesnake. Only found 1 in the wild near Alpine; those suckers are difficult to locate (given the habitat they inhabit).
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Thanks. I took it for gospel as a kid. Getting older it didn't make sense. Even if it was the radius there is just no way the force of the bite could cause that.
La Fours
AG
I'm betting the snake struck at him and he flinched, rightfully so, and lost his balance. Fell and broke his arm. Or he just got his ass kicked and made the story up to not be embarrassed.
Badace52
AG
As mane said snakes have nowhere near enough pressure in their bit to break bone. However, they used to do large tissue debridements ( removal of skin and subcutaneous/muscle tissue ) after bites from snakes with hemotoxic venom. The guy you saw may have had a complex surgical dressing on that looked like a cast. BTW we no longer perform those large debridements immediately after a bite.
Badace52
AG
Also this... this is even more likely.
Serious Lee
quote:
quote:
Had it just eaten or was it one of those short, fat yellow belly water snakes that has a dark line along its eyes?
not short at all, it had just swallowed a 6 inch tilapia and an 8/0 circle hook but it was still fat enough that i considered he might have been a water moccasin. We have millions of tilapia in the lake and ive been watching the snakes hunt them along the bank at night, kinda sorry i caught him cause i prefer non-venomous snakes over tilapia.
End Of Message
AG
Picture lifted from Big Bend NPS Instagram account. Snake spotted at elevation along South Rim by a hiker. Pretty snake.
AggieGunslinger
AG
No clue, but a lot of companies owe that dude royalties as the original inventor of "digital" camo.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Those are cool rattlers! Not very many people see those.
4stringAg
AG
What kind of rattler is it?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.