Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

556,168 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure if this has made the rounds here, siap.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153557110112595&id=158931732594&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2FMOJOOutdoorsTV%2Fvideos%2F10153557110112595%2F
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
What's this.

It's you linking a web page as an image.

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
What's this.

appears to be a hobbit.
Muzzleblast

Minding my own business last night when this guy shows up on my porch.

Mostly just Rat Snakes and Hog Nosed Snakes here in N. Grimes County.

I relocate the non venomous stuff to the other side of my lake but with Buckshot wandering around outside I just killed this one.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Copperhead
Muzzleblast
I know. That's why he got all kilt an stuff.

Gettin' so you can't have whiskey and cigars on the porch without gettin' attacked.

ZooGuy
AG
Eh, when I worked in the field, we ran across copperheads or timber rattlers on a daily basis. Never had any issue with them. They were usually quite docile and you had to mess with them for a while to get a reaction.
Stive
AG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States
Gotta admit.....I was surprised at the number (especially in the last 15-20 years). I was also surprised that copperheads were listed several times. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems I heard somewhere that copperheads had never caused a death in the US. (but this is wikipedia we're talking about).

Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
Gotta admit.....I was surprised at the number (especially in the last 15-20 years). I was also surprised that copperheads were listed several times. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems I heard somewhere that copperheads had never caused a death in the US. (but this is wikipedia we're talking about).

Just did a quick scan of that page...lots of dummies dying from being bitten while handling venomous snakes as part of religious services in Appalachia. Is this a thing?
ZooGuy
AG
Living here in rural East Tennessee, yes it is. Quite common in the more rural areas.
Daddy-O5
AG
Crazy Pentecostals.

I was amazed at the handful of people who were listed as "did not seek medical treatment", even the ones who were not counting on the lawd to save them.
Stive
AG
Yeah it's a thing. Seems like it's mostly Pentecostal groups that fall under the "snake handlers" titles.

That number stood out to me as well.
Daddy-O5
AG
That's a very interesting link... how in the heck to you manage to get bit by a coral snake? That one baffles me the most.
Texmid
AG
Two from Bastrop County on the list. Both were timber rattlers if I recall correctly.
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, I'd question some of those copperhead fatalities. Heart attack and anaphylaxis, you have complications that were likely unrelated to the venom.
george92
quote:
That's a very interesting link... how in the heck to you manage to get bit by a coral snake? That one baffles me the most.
We have some friends from Florida that live here in Boerne now. Their son, which was around 8 at the time, would always bring snakes into the house. They live outside of town where there's lots of wildlife. He brought in a coral snake and was showing it to his mom because he had never seen one before. She decided to check it out on the internet and found out it was poisonous, while he continued messing with it. It finally got him and he got really sick. They didn't have any anti-venom in San Antonio and ended up having to get some from a zoo in Dallas I believe. His vital signs got very scary for a while but he pulled through.

I saw him a few months later and he came up to me with another snake. I told him, didn't you learn a lesson the last time? He said, yes Mr. George, I don't pick up coral snakes anymore.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Glad to hear he's okay... That comment is hilarious!

Oh, the honesty of a child.
Daddy-O5
AG
That's a funny story. Glad the kid is ok.

Hope fully you told them about "red on yellow" for future reference!
ursusguy
AG
They are more capable of biting than people give them credit for.

BuddysBud
AG
quote:

I am guessing that the reason the number appears higher in the past 15-20 years is because the internet has improved reporting.
The Collective
AG
I didn't know religious snake handling was a thing until this guy appeared on my TV, and I did some research:
BuddysBud
AG
The Diamond Water Snake that Couldn't

[url=][/url]

This is my first attempt at posting pictures (I hope that it works). A few years ago I was feeding the fish in my pond when this diamondback water snake decided that it would take advantage of a distracted catfish. It grabbed the catfish just behind the gill and fought it to shallow water. The snake then worked its way around to the fish's head and attempted to swallow it. It was able to swallow the fish's head, but could not get around the fins. The snake eventually gave up and left the now dead fish in the shallow water. As you can see from the last picture, the fish was nearly 15" long (the Leatherman is about 4" long). I was fascinated watching the snake in action.
OnlyForNow
AG
There is a YouTube video of someone handling a coral snake with heavy leather gloves on and you can see how easy it can bite and deliver a good bit on thick gloves.

Much easier than people give them credit for.
GinaLinetti
AG
https://www.facebook.com/MensHealthAU/videos/10157130935685341/
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's really cool! I have a picture of me as a kid holdin a diamondback water snake with a catfish in his mouth just like this.

Lucky for him, I cut the pectoral fins off with my fishing pliers and watched him gulp it down.
Serious Lee
thats pretty scary that SA didnt have any coral snake venom.

When i was very little and we moved into a new house on the outskirts of town, my sister ( ~8 yr old at the time) was about to go roller skating when she noticed a big and colorful worm in her skates. She reached in, grabbed it, and showed it to my parents.

Didnt get bit but that was the day me, mom, and sis learned what a coral snake was.
12f Mane
AG
Awesome!
ursusguy
AG
It's been a while since I had to think about it, is there still a general shortage of coral antivenom? I realize there isn't much of a drive to manufacture it.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
I didn't know religious snake handling was a thing until this guy appeared on my TV, and I did some research:

I think I was about 13 years old when I handled my snake like it was a religion.
KDubAg
AG
quote:

What type of snake is this? Got in our warehouse this morning and stuck in a sticky rat trap. Thought it just might be a rat snake so tried to pull him out and let him go but ripped him up.

Can anyone confirm?
You can use vegetable oil or any kind of cooking oil to free snakes from sticky traps. Some info online if you want to search.
12f Mane
AG
To be honest I really don't know. I can't imagine it's high priority.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Out of curiosity, are there the same health risks (adverse effects) with coral venom antivenom vs Chrofab?

Not sure how the neurotoxin antivenom works and if it has the same or additional risks.
ZooGuy
AG
quote:
Out of curiosity, are there the same health risks (adverse effects) with coral venom antivenom vs Chrofab?

Not sure how the neurotoxin antivenom works and if it has the same or additional risks.

Chrofab was what we had on stock at the small zoo I worked at in Texas. Everything else was life flight to DFW.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Chrofab is just Diamondbacks, copperheads, and water moccasins (hemo-toxic), right?
ZooGuy
AG
quote:
Chrofab is just Diamondbacks, copperheads, and water moccasins (hemo-toxic), right?
As far as I know. At that time, we had very few really exotic snakes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.