Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

555,013 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
johnmyu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[url=.html][/url]

What did I have on my doorstep this morning?
Daddy-O5
AG
Copperhead
johnmyu
Startled the crap out of me - walked right past it taking the dog out and didn't see it until coming back in and maybe a foot away. Other dog got bit last year doing same thing. Sneaky little b-tards.
AJ02
AG
Yup. Definitely a copperhead. Found one hanging out by the trashcans next door a couple of weeks ago.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG

Yellow-bellied water snake(I presume) on the San Antonio River.
12f Mane
jbanda
AG
How would yall go about removing a troublesome snake (venemous or not)? I know if a nonvenemous variety was outside you just let them move along, but say one (venemous or non venemous) holed up in your garage. I recently bought a 5 foot snake tongs. I'm all for letting them live but don't want to get bit in the process.

Edit: This was just a hypothetical question.
Daddy-O5
AG
Call 12f mane
12f Mane
AG
You can definitely do that.

If you already have tongs I'd use them to put the snake in an empty trash can or icechest and take it to the nearest wild area. Just make sure it can't reach the lid or you can get a tight seal because snakes can get out of anything.
AZAG08
AG
quote:
You can definitely do that.

If you already have tongs I'd use them to put the snake in an empty trash can or icechest and take it to the nearest wild area. Just make sure it can't reach the lid or you can get a tight seal because snakes can get out of anything.
Also be sure to get video of the entire process to share with all of us....you know, for educational purposes
ellebee
Eh just let the nonvenomous bite you if need be. They don't hurt too bad.
Chazz03
AG
12f Mane
AG
Where were those? Look like Mediterranean gecko eggs to me.
Chazz03
AG
College Station back yard. I'd be glad if you are right
Daddy-O5
AG
Growing up on about 4 acres in Tomball (plus a lot of woods surrounding belonging to the neighbors) we saw/caught a lot of snakes; mainly ratsnakes, lots of hognoses, copperheads, some cottonmouths. One day we found a snake we couldn't quite identify at the time. Over the course of a couple of days, my dad got a call from a friend of a friend. Turns out he was a herpetologist/zoologist at the Houston Zoo and knew what the snake was based off the description he had received. He was putting together a book on local snakes and had figured out we had a buttermilk racer in our possession. Beautiful snake with a nasty temper, struck at anything that moved. He was mainly green with white specks sporadically located throughout his body. Long story short had an assistant come and pick up the snake so he could photograph it and include it in his book, in turn this young snake obsessed boy got a backstage tour of the Houston Zoo reptile house.

He returned the snake to us after he was done with it and in turn we let it go again. As a kid I wanted to keep him regardless of the fact that I really couldn't handle him, but they are apparently not good captive snakes at all, refused to eat.

Cool story bra, I know.... tried to find pics, but couldn't.

Looked something like this, I seem to remember it being a little bit brighter green. This was many years ago however.

ellebee
Not a snake, but is this a regular or leopard gecko? I thought it looked like a leopard but not sure now.

ZooGuy
AG
That is not a leopard gecko. It is a Mediterranean gecko. Leopard geckos have much thicker tails.
12f Mane
AG
Leopard geckos are native to Pakistan and aren't established in the US. That is a Mediterranean gecko, which is well established through the southern US, but not native.
ZooGuy
AG
Oh, and Ellebee, a belated happy birthday. I saw somewhere on the board that it was your birthday a day or two ago. My birthday is on Friday. I hate getting old.
ellebee
Ha thanks! This was definitely my least favorite birthday so far.

I thought maybe someone's pet got out. I thought it looked more yellow with darker spots than the ones I've seen, which I guess are the Mediterranean ones.

Edit to make this thread relevant. For your troubles.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
My birthday is also on Friday!
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Did you feed the geko to a snake? !
ZooGuy
AG
I used to have an Eastern Hognose. I had to freeze amphibians to feed it. Frozen bullfrog tadpoles did the trick. I eventually changed him to toad scented frozen mice. I think the toad I had hated me every week or so.
Chazz03
AG
Not sure if small hands or big gecko
BreNayPop
AG
She would be a freaky she is she had big man hands...
FrioAg 00
AG
Just do not question the length of her snake
ellebee
Nah I was looking up the Mediterranean gecko to see if those were the lighter colored ones I see also and found that.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
ellebee
Gecko was about 6 or so inches.
Badace52
AG
Our elementary school had two eastern hognoses as well and I used to catch toads/green tree frogs and freeze them so I could bring them to school and feed the snakes. They started sending them home with me every summer to care for/feed and when I went to Jr. High, the snakes were promptly donated to the Texas Zoo in Victoria.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ZooGuy
AG
I worked at the zoo in Victoria in 2000. Got my Hognose from the area.

Had another one that was entirely maroon that I didn't keep. I was stupid.
Badace52
AG
Seen entirely black ones there but not maroon. That would be an awesome find indeed, especially for us ags.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ZooGuy
AG
Yeah, most of them in the area are orange/red and tan.
carpe vinum
AG
Given the development of the Aggie cloning program and genetic splicing, a case of Natty Light and a bag of Funyons should get you anything maroon you want.
aggie_wes
AG

In my garage. Wife was not happy. He was maybe 14" long. Some kind of garter snake, I presume?
carpe vinum
AG
Pic doesn't work, but I'm sure it's a Cobra.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.