*****Official JUSTIFIED Final Season Thread*****

69,420 Views | 532 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
So was Rylan's new hat, Boone's hat off his body?

Yes. They mentioned it in passing in the office.

Read the Sepinwall review I posted further up, including the interview with Yost. It discusses this among other things.

It was a nod to Elmore, who never liked Olyphant's big tall cowboy hat. He preferred a smaller one that sat lower on his head.

Thus, Raylan taking Boone's hat that he was so proud of buying, and continuing to wear it after he left Harlan.
Bunk Moreland
Just to avoid people clicking multiple links, I'll provide some quotes from the Yost interview:

quote:
I want to start with the hat, because I know it was one of the few significant creative disagreements you ever had with Elmore (Leonard). At what point did you decide you
wanted Raylan to end the series wearing the smaller Stetson that met
with his approval?

Graham Yost: Pretty early on in the season, we knew we wanted to create a character who really modeled himself after Raylan to one degree or another, and he would get a hat, and Raylan would end up with the bad guy's hat. It's still not a perfect match for what Elmore wanted, but Greg Sutter Elmore's researcher of 30 years says he thinks Elmore would have gotten a big kick out of it.

quote:
You could have killed off one or all of the members of that core trio, yet Raylan, Boyd and Ava all survive the finale. How did you come to that decision?

Graham Yost: It was a number of things. We didn't feel like we were a kind of show that would kill of Raylan. We're not a tragedy. In Elmore's stuff, tragedies happen, but usually the good guy survives. Often, the Elmore women get away with the money, or at least get away. So it came down to Boyd. And while Boyd may have deserved a bullet for all the heinous stuff he did, it came down to Raylan. If he was the one to kill Boyd, we felt that would be a sign that Raylan hadn't grown over
the course of the series. Often in Elmore's world, the hero will grow just a smidge.

quote:
You mentioned circular motion, and so much of this final season has been peppered with callbacks to earlier events from the series, and it feels like half the dialogue in the
finale is people repeating things they said to Raylan when they first met him.

Graham Yost: That's just the fun of doing a final episode. You're trying to quote these things one more time. As much as we're having characters reappear, we're also having bits of dialogue and
conversations come back to haunt them.

quote:
You knew you were going to lose Garret Dillahunt halfway through the season to another commitment, so you had the mercs for a while, and then Boon came in. Knowing that you
had Garret for a limited amount of time, how did you decide that was how you wanted to build that character, while having someone else be the rival gunslinger?

Graham Yost: It was a kind of a two-fer thing. We had Garret only until Christmas, so we knew we wanted to bring in someone else. And the idea of bringing in someone younger, so it's Raylan 20 years ago that was really appealing. The young gun is a part of Western myth: the gunfighter up against his younger self. So we wanted to create a character who was a bonafide threat, who really could shoot Raylan.
^
|
|
|
makes a lot of sense as to how the Ty Walker stuff just didn't full fully satisfying...they had to get him off the show so he could move on to other commitments.
mhayden
Thought the finale was solid... Biggest issue I had was there was just far too much left to be wrapped up in one episode, so consequently you had some pretty big characters with abrupt scenes -- Markham tossed aside almost like an extra, and Boon basically appearing out of nowhere to force a confrontation.

And while I agree with everyone Raylan/Ava being alone in the car isn't something that would have had a chance of happening -- even less so was Wynn Duffy driving a dog grooming vehicle with Ava stashed in it a past road block.

Loved the last line... But IMO only the third strongest season finale (also being a series finale) -- #1 for me was Raylan realizing that his father was looking to "shoot someone with a big hat" and #2 being the Mags Bennett.

I'd put the full season rankings as :

#2 (Bennett's) -- my tops by FAR
#3 (Limehouse + Oxy Wars)
#6 (Finale)
#1 (First season had to get it's legs, but I thought the last few episodes were great)
#4 (Where's Waldo)
#5 (Crowe's -- by far the weakest)
GiveEmHellBill
AG
When Season 5 is the weakest season (and I agree it was), you are still looking at one of the most consistently great series in a long time.

And I cannot think of a more perfect way to end this series. The back-and-forth between these two was always the heart of the show. To end it with them having one last talk and with those lines was just so good.
The D
AG
I agree season 2 was by far the best.
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
When Season 5 is the weakest season (and I agree it was), you are still looking at one of the most consistently great series in a long time.

And I cannot think of a more perfect way to end this series. The back-and-forth between these two was always the heart of the show. To end it with them having one last talk and with those lines was just so good.

Agreed. It's always been a curiosity in the series as to whether Raylan and Boyd liked one another. Sepinwall has said that Timothy Olyphant played Raylan as if he didn't like Boyd, but Walton Goggins played Boyd as if he thought he and Raylan were still old pals. I always wondered whether they would resolve that question.

When asked Raylan if there was another reason he came to see him in person, I really expected Boyd to ask if they were friends. Instead, they drop the line about digging coal together, which was even better, and a far more accurate way to end it between two guys from eastern Kentucky.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
I thought that it was a very nice touch that the only reason Raylon is alive was that Boone did the very same he preached against an episode or two before: going for a head shot instead of a body shot. Boone wanted to prove he was the man. It cost him the chance to kill the man.

Boone said before that he goes for the headshot because the person he's shooting may be wearing body armor. Not a logical move when he shot Loretta's boyfriend, but it made sense when shooting at Raylan.
mhayden
Also didn't care for that we got an abbreviated in-episode "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" but not a full one at the end.
BigBrother
AG
SIAP from NYT interview:

quote:
OLYPHANT: But there's very little doubt in my mind that we got off the air when we should have, or at least in that setup with those people. Because I'm going to put an
asterisk by it: If someone calls me a couple years from now and asks me
if I want to do another Raylan, I bet the answer would be yes. There's a
follow-up question, which is for how much? [Laughs.]Q.
So would this theoretical new Raylan show be set in Miami?
A.
OLYPHANT: You're thinking too small. U.S. marshals are federal; they can go
anywhere. I've been pitching this for six years now I kept saying,
"You know, Raylan could go to Paris." They're like, "Hey this year Ava's
going to run," and I was like, "Great, to Paris?" And they said, "No,
just up the hill." Look, it would be a lot of fun to do some sort of
whatever they call it these days limited series, mini-series. I'd
gladly take the gig.

aggiepaintrain
AG
This show could easily come back.
blackgoldag11
AG
Season 2 was one of the best tv show seasons I have ever watched
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
I thought the ending was pretty good. Not perfect but not bad
MAROON
AG
I started watching Justified at the start of season 3, and I think its one of the best series I've ever seen.

I guess I'll now go back and watch season 1 and 2
mhayden
I think one episode into Season 2 you feel like the characters have been fleshed out in front of you for years.

Walton Goggins has only been nominated for 1 primetime Emmy (Justified back in 2010/2011). Never won.

That is a crying shame. The Shield debuted in 2002... That almost 15 years of playing an incredible character and only one *nomination*,
Centerpole90
AG
Goggins is a beast. He carried this show. I love Olyphant and the cast from Justified with few exceptions - but we all know w/o Boyd this thread is as long as the current Bates Motel thread. Ya. There ISN'T one. It's telling enough the last face you see in the Justified series was him. If you're old school Shield you know that Shane Vindrell was huge in that show. Very talented actor; I hope FX sets him up well.
agmatt06
AG
It's crazy to think that Boyd was supposed to have died in season 1.

I would love to hear the direction they had planned for this show had that occurred. He's just been so vital to the whole series that I'm not sure what it would have looked like otherwise.
mhayden
From everything I've read it was originally written to be a "baddie of the week" type show... Much like that episode with the dentist trying to get to Mexico. New, interesting "bad guy" every episode, wrapped up by the end of the hour.

Goggins was just too good in the role to kill, and the landscape of television was really pushing the elaborate story-arch.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I guess I'll now go back and watch season 1 and 2
Here's the thing about Season 1:

Boyd was supposed to die in the pilot, but they liked Goggins so much they let him survive. For about 4-5 episodes after the pilot, the show was just Raylan hunting down a typical Elmore Leonard criminal. They weren't bad (some were even pretty funny), but it's jarring to watch those now.

Once Boyd gets released from prison on a technicality, the show starts morphing into the show we all are used to. What I remember best about Season 1 was that Boyd's father Bo Crowder (played by the fantastic M.C. Gainey) was a formidable Main Bad Guy. It was his interactions with his son Boyd that really started to elevate the show.
MGS
I hated that fedora on Raylan, I can't believe he stuck with it for 4+ years.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I hated that fedora on Raylan, I can't believe he stuck with it for 4+ years.

He was no longer Cowboy Raylan Givens. He had graduated to Sgt. Raylan Batista

Aggie_John
AG
So something I didn't catch the first time I watched the finale. Rachel either transferred to the Seattle office, or became the chief deputy there.

In the scene where Art & Rayln have their bourbon, Nelson tells Art the Seattle Chief is on the phone, & Art asks where Rachel is. And in the scene where Rayln looks at the picture of Ava in the pumpkin patch, the envelop has Rachel's name written above the Seattle field office address.
Smokedraw01
Buy Your Justified Prop Here
mhayden
quote:
So something I didn't catch the first time I watched the finale. Rachel either transferred to the Seattle office, or became the chief deputy there.

In the scene where Art & Rayln have their bourbon, Nelson tells Art the Seattle Chief is on the phone, & Art asks where Rachel is. And in the scene where Rayln looks at the picture of Ava in the pumpkin patch, the envelop has Rachel's name written above the Seattle field office address.

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff I didn't catch until reading the Sepinwall review -- Raylan said a while back that he didn't have any other real skills (when asked about doing something other than being a marshal)... Said that maybe he'd sell ice cream -- because he really like ice cream.

First scene in the "Fast Forward" was him and his daughter talking ice cream.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
quote:
The Friends of Eddie Coyle by George Higgins

Dullest book i have never finished !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MW03
AG
quote:
Buy Your Justified Prop Here

I may just try and squeeze my foot into those boots if the price is right...
mhayden
Speaking of Goggins:

http://thefilmstage.com/trailer/quentin-tarantinos-the-hateful-eight-teaser-trailer-officially-released/
Centerpole90
AG
quote:
Speaking of Goggins:

http://thefilmstage.com/trailer/quentin-tarantinos-the-hateful-eight-teaser-trailer-officially-released/
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Just an FYI, I found that FX released several short scenes from previous seasons entitled "Justified Flashbacks"

The Beginning
Introducing Boyd
A Sign from Above
Mags
King Boyd
Harlan Roulette (a favorite: "Next one's coming faster!")
The Limo
Boyd Crowder: Outlaw ("I want you to help me get a Dairy Queen franchise")
The Duel
Take it to the Bank
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
Just an FYI, I found that FX released several short scenes from previous seasons entitled "Justified Flashbacks"

The Beginning
Introducing Boyd
A Sign from Above
Mags
King Boyd
The Limo
The Duel
Take it to the Bank

Outstanding find! Them releasing these to YouTube reminds me of Sepinwall's longstanding wish for a web series entitled "Wynn Duffie reacts to unexpected things."
BBQ4Me
AG
Good season but it felt the dialogue writing was not nearly as good as previous seasons. Still, that final scene was nearly perfect.

IMO, one of the best series ever made.
Max Power
AG
Gonna miss this show, hope that FX has something of quality on the way to take its place.
MGS
Does anybody have a screencap of Wynn's new van?
AgDaddy08-11
S
quote:

The Beginning
Introducing Boyd
A Sign from Above
Mags
King Boyd
The Limo
The Duel
Take it to the Bank

Some really good clips, thanks for posting. I'm going to miss this show.
MAROON
AG
quote:
Does anybody have a screencap of Wynn's new van?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Nice

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.