Side Effects after Booster

27,102 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by farmrag
ETFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KidDoc said:

St Jo's moved all our 2nd doses to Friday because the fever/body ache rate is pretty high and they don't want to cancel clinic if they don't have to. I get mine next week.
This is not surprising. We just went through the second round at work yesterday and it wiped us out. I've just had mild aches and a little 'off' and feverish. Wife got knocked on her ass with all of the symptoms mentioned in this thread. this was with Moderna #2
The Big12Ag
The Big12Ag said:

My sister gets second Moderna shot today, had no issue with first dose and will update if she shares any issues with the second. I warned her about what I've read here.
30 hours after second Moderna shot and she says the injection site hurts worse than first shot, and even feels hot to the touch, but no other symptoms.
lazuras_dc
AG
After my booster I actually noticed a little tickle in my throat that induces a gentle cough randomly. maybe 2-3 times a day... anyone else notice something similar?
doctorAg13
AG
Got second Moderna vaccine on Tuesday morning. Took Tylenol prophylactically about 10 hours post injection, went to bed feeling fine. Woke up several hours later with chills, took more Tylenol and went back to bed. Felt cold and achy and generally crappy at work the next day, with a mild headache all day. Got up today on the second day after injection feeling fine. Mild arm soreness but less than after the first injection.

My advice would be to get the vaccine when you don't have to work the next day. We had 3 people out of our small group unable to work the next day after injection due to the side effects.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiederelict
Got my second shot Tuesday afternoon. Some mild arm soreness and body aches the next day. Was able to work with no issues. Feel back to normal today.
Kool
AG
4 of us in my office got second dose yesterday.
4 sore arms
1 person with fever to 104, itching, body aches all over (she probably had COVID last summer, never was tested)
1 person with significant chest pain and muscle aches, she actually got COVID between first and second doses.
1 person with minimal symptoms.
1 person with mild fever last night, severe neck pain, generalized muscle aches today, and suspected priapism last night which spontaneously resolved
Nobody had any significant issues with the first doses, other than some arm soreness and mild injection site itching.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KlinkerAg11
AG
Do you think people who have had covid should sit out the vaccine a while?

Seems like people who have already had it react poorly to the vaccine.
He Who Shall Be Unnamed
WES2006AG
AG
I had my 1st dose of the Moderna shot last wednesday and had a rough experience. I had 24 hours of severe chills, muscle aches, and fatigue.

I had a really rough case of COVID back in March so I figured my antibodies might protect me from having an adverse reaction but that was wishful thinking.

Full disclosure, I have a suppressed immune system from a Kidney Transplant in 2006 so my experience will likely be different from most healthy people.

Not looking forward to dose #2 but it is still better than getting COVID again.
Forum Troll
AG
Kool said:

4 sore arms
1 person with fever to 104, itching, body aches all over (she probably had COVID last summer, never was tested)
1 person with significant chest pain and muscle aches, she actually got COVID between first and second doses.
1 person with mild fever last night, severe neck pain, generalized muscle aches today, and suspected priapism last night which spontaneously resolved
Nobody had any significant issues with the first doses, other than some arm soreness and mild injection site itching.

There are many ways to spontaneously resolve priapism.

I get my 2nd Moderna dose in about 30 to 45 minutes, will give update. First shot I had a noticeably sore arm for 48 to 72 hours but that was it.
Tabasco
AG
Are most of these reactions Moderna vs. Phizer? Seems so, and previous or recent covid dx seems to increase symptoms, especially 2nd shot. Is that a fair assessment?
Kool
AG
KlinkerAg11 said:

I may get pilloried here, but if I already had the real deal and I were not in a high risk group or directly caring for someone in a high risk group, I would wait at least 90 days after infection before considering getting vaccinated. I know that the vaccines reportedly give higher immunoglobulin levels than is seen even with a COVID infection, but without a significant mutation (which would affect the vaccines' efficacy as well), a second infection within 90 days should be unlikely and if it should occur the illness should be attenuated.

Everybody has to assess their own risk tolerances. I am so sick of this virus being politicized, both with those calling it a "weak ass virus" and with those "shaming" people who want to wait and let some more data shake out before getting a vaccine which came to market in record time, using relatively small numbers of study participants, and which has never been accomplished with mRNA technology. And I say all that fully understanding that the vaccines have been an amazing blessing to millions and will no doubt save lives.
Kool
AG
Forum Troll said:

Kool said:

4 sore arms

There are many ways to spontaneously resolve priapism.

I get my 2nd Moderna dose in about 30 to 45 minutes, will give update. First shot I had a noticeably sore arm for 48 to 72 hours but that was it.
"There are many ways to spontaneously resolve priapism".

Unfortunately, it was a mild case.

The second dose reactions seem to occur many hours later. My arm got sore and itchy after the first one as well, and it was delayed about that same amount of time.

P.S.: Love the Forum name.
KidDoc
AG
Kool said:

KlinkerAg11 said:

I may get pilloried here, but if I already had the real deal and I were not in a high risk group or directly caring for someone in a high risk group, I would wait at least 90 days after infection before considering getting vaccinated. I know that the vaccines reportedly give higher immunoglobulin levels than is seen even with a COVID infection, but without a significant mutation (which would affect the vaccines' efficacy as well), a second infection within 90 days should be unlikely and if it should occur the illness should be attenuated.

Everybody has to assess their own risk tolerances. I am so sick of this virus being politicized, both with those calling it a "weak ass virus" and with those "shaming" people who want to wait and let some more data shake out before getting a vaccine which came to market in record time, using relatively small numbers of study participants, and which was brought to market in record time. And I say all that fully understanding that the vaccines have been an amazing blessing to millions and will no doubt save lives.
This is my stance 100%. I would encourage recovered people to donate blood quarterly then if/when your titers fall can pursue vaccination.

Most of the data I have seen indicates at least 8 months immunity after infection at this time.

BShaneRodgers
It sounds like almost all of the negative side effects from the booster occur with the Moderna vaccine. Interesting.
Kool
AG
srodgers said:

It sounds like almost all of the negative side effects from the booster occur with the Moderna vaccine. Interesting.

Either one
eric76
AG
srodgers said:

Has everyone had significant side effects? I have possible plans the evening of the day after the 2nd shot. Just wanted thoughts?
My sister's husband was dizzy and weak the rest of the day and went to bed early but he had apparently recovered by the next day.
Forum Troll
AG
Update on 2nd Moderna vaccine, got it around noon yesterday. Sore arm today, seems worse than the 1st time but that's it. No uncontrolled erections.
Tabasco
AG
Not booster, but thought I would add. Got Pfizer shot 1 yesterday at 2pm. Went to bed 11 or 12pm with zero symptoms. Woke up at 7am with a pretty sore shoulder, like if someone assaulted me with a blunt object (very circumscribed to probably a 2-3 inch diameter from injection site. Nothing that affected functioning, but I was surprised when I woke up. Some pain/discomfort when I raised my arm or used deltoid. Probably only a 1-2 on a 10 point pain scale. Its 12:30 pm now. If it was a 2 at 7am, it is a 1 now. Just posting this for reference if anyone cares.

edit to add: uncontrollable erections have been minimal
Kool
AG
My Medical Assistant got her Moderna yesterday (I had Pfizer). She got the exact same thing I got - significant neck pain on same side as injection. She didn't say anything about priapism, but she may have kept it to herself for fear of being written up and put into the Sexual Harrassment complaint cup I made for our office.

As you can see, the cup is pretty full
Dolphin Roper
AG

Has anyone on here who had moderate to severe Covid (ie: pneumonia/hospitalization) had the vaccine? If so, how were your side effects? Sounds like they can be more severe if you have had Covid, curious if anyone on here has personal experience.
WES2006AG
AG
Dolphin Roper said:

Has anyone on here who had moderate to severe Covid (ie: pneumonia/hospitalization) had the vaccine? If so, how were your side effects? Sounds like they can be more severe if you have had Covid, curious if anyone on here has personal experience.
Had an awful case off COVID last March and had a pretty sever set of chills, body aches, and nausea for 24 hours after my 1st injection of the Moderna vax.
Dolphin Roper
AG

I had a bad case of Covid in March as well, trying to get scheduled for the vaccine if possible and wondering what to expect. When do you get your second dose?
WES2006AG
AG
I haven't heard from the county on any specifics yet but the card that they gave me said Feb 17th.

Also, not sure if you saw my post earlier in the thread but I have a suppressed immune system after an organ transplant so I would imagine my experience was likely worse than what I am hearing from most people as a result.
letterman72
AG
Moderna #1 mid afternoon. Arm pretty sore for two days. The soreness didn't fade away gradually it was just gone the second morning. No other reactions. I received Moderna #2 twenty seven days later mid afternoon. No reactions until about 30 hours afterward ( low grade fever). Took Tylenol and felt fine for the remainder of the day. That night another low grade fever. Took Tylenol and no more fever or discomfort since then. It's now day four after the 2nd dose. Looks as though most reaction to the second dose occurs after 24 hours.
KidDoc
AG
Holy smokes the chills are NO JOKE. I have never had anything like that. Aleve + hot tub helped.
TAMUallen
AG
A young 20s family member now working at a hospital, who just graduated last spring as an SEC swimmer, said the second Moderna shot has whooped his butt. Very bad chills.
WES2006AG
AG
The chills I had from the first dose felt like I had COVID again. Really rough for about 18 hours.
BShaneRodgers
Any other updates from anyone?
chigger
AG
Wife has gotten both rounds of Moderna now and had no side effects other than sore arm. My 82 year old Dad gets his first shot on Wednesday. Very interested to see how he reacts.
Kool
AG
srodgers said:

Priapism has not returned.
lazuras_dc
AG
Still have this random cough. Still wondering if related to vaccine or just coincidence.
TPS Reports
AG
Kool said:

srodgers said:

Priapism has not returned.

Bummer
aggieduke
AG
1st shot Moderna. Severe arm pain. Went away on day 3.

2nd shot was yesterday at 11am. About 7pm started feeling slightly crummy. By 2 am I was in a hot bath taking advil with severe chills, body aches, muscle and joint pain, headache, and feverish. Hate to sound like a baby but it was bad. As of now I am definitely better but nowhere over it. About 50%. Hope this helps someone else.
45 yr old male.
Philippians 4:13
wbt5845
AG
So I am getting 2nd Moderna today.

What should I do medicine wise afterwards and when can I start? I've read that one should avoid pain killers prior to shot since it reduces effectivity. Should I wait some period of time after **** before taking medication?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.