75% ICU now COVID.............

24,923 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Proposition Joe
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gordo14 said:

nortex97 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

It is becoming increasing clear none of our mitigation protocols are working. Why that is seems up for debate but as I asked previously how is it possible the elderly and infirmed are still getting covid is beyond me. It cant all be because of f16. There must a breakdown occurring somewhere and no person, people, or institution wants to take responsibility.
I posted this on another thread that got booted to F16, but I don't believe this at all. We meticulously track RSV and influenza every single year. Our current mitigation protocols for COVID seem to have almost completely stopped the spread of those respiratory illnesses. The southern hemisphere basically skipped flu and RSV season last year, and we're well on our way to doing the same. This is profound evidence that out mitigation strategies reduce the spread of respiratory viruses. Since COVID is a respiratory virus, there is every reason to think we are making a big difference with our current strategies. We just can't tell because we have no past data to draw from. Maybe without our mitigations COVID levels would be double or more the current amount. We have no idea, because it's brand new. But we have seen a dramatic reduction in every other respiratory virus.
The data from Sweden says that is false. Countries in the southern hemisphere (but for Australia) also did not predominantly use the same NPI/mitigation measures the US and Europe have largely adopted.

Sweden is right in the middle of their peers and did no lockdowns/had normal restaurants/no mask usage practically in public all through about at least October.

There's no evidence, and in fact a lot of evidence to the contrary, that NPI's don't have an impact on Covid.

I would like to hear your explanation for why NPI's on a purely fundamental level (basically just government enforced social distancing) don't work. If, say, people don't go to a bar for drinks because bars are closed, how does the transmission of virus from that interaction still spread? Now scale that up to a country level with things that partially mitigate spread (like masks) and social distancing as well as fully mitigated spread like closed theaters and no live concerts. The only way these don't work would be if you argue these social interactions that fuel virus transmission happen anyway. That assertion is unfounded. Again the purpose of NPIs is to change the rate of transmission, not make it zero.
First let's agree on the terms referenced; lockdowns, businesses closed, and mandates that masks be worn (and in fact generally followed) are measurable NPI's based on government mandates/dates and cases/deaths/positive test rates. Those are the NPI's I primarily track, anyway.

If lockdowns and NPI worked, California surely would be doing better, in the present resurgence, than Florida, right (hint, it's not, nor is NY, as shown in the video below)? Show me a case study where NPI measures correlate to cases dropping off 2 weeks after being implemented, or heck, anything beyond a R2 of .01 or worse.

ramblin_ag02
AG
I think you and I are talking about different things. The only thing Sweden shows is that governments have limited control over the behavior of their citizens. I bet if you compared Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark you'd get roughly the same amounts of people wearing masks, going out, avoiding parties, avoiding travel, etc. Regardless of government mandates, similar groups of people are taking similar measures (or declining to take measures).

To go back to the flu and RSV example. Sweden is seeing historic low flu counts just like everywhere else. That means that Swedes are taking unprecedented precautions to prevent the spread of viral illness. If they were "business as usual" then we wouldn't see any impact on their flu cases this year.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Duncan Idaho
This is what gets me about the "they are falsely counting flu deaths as covid deaths" crowds
Even if we were in the worst flu season of the last 20 years, and every flu deaths was counted as a covid death, the number of covid deaths is staggering. 4000 died yesterday. 4000 will probably die today. 4000 will probably die tomorrow. And we haven't come close to the peak.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

This is what gets me about the "they are falsely counting flu deaths as covid deaths" crowds
Even if we were in the worst flu season of the last 20 years, and every flu deaths was counted as a covid death, the number of covid deaths is staggering. 4000 died yesterday. 4000 will probably die today. 4000 will probably die tomorrow. And we haven't come close to the peak.
That and it's just wrong. Everyone I know is checking for the flu at the same time we check for COVID. Our most commonly used test checks for both. No one is testing positive for the flu, so we are not counting flu cases as anything. There just aren't any
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nortex97
AG
Well, the RSV/flu credit is an interesting new angle this month to NPI's, but take a look at this video. It's CNN. Can you really claim the behavior this past spring/summer in Sweden was akin to Denmark/Norway? I don't buy it, anecdotally nor factually.

And again, there is the issue of the southern hemisphere as to the theory that NPI's worked to cut down on RSV/flu; if so, how did that hold true in China, Korea (where masks are worn every year during the allergy period), Africa, and South America? They did not have nationwide/continent-wide similar NPI measures for 9 months of 2020.

I surely think we have seen some benefit to more folks washing their hands more frequently/better hygiene, but specific to paper/cloth masks worn in public and lockdowns, the correlation is again less than a tenth what you'd hope it would be for covid/upper respiratory viruses when tracked (based on geography/seasonal trends and lockdown dates).
88planoAg
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

That and it's just wrong. Everyone I know is checking for the flu at the same time we check for COVID. Our most commonly used test checks for both. No one is testing positive for the flu, so we are not counting flu cases as anything. There just aren't any
I wasn't tested for anything but covid. Urgent care San Antonio. And I realize that is but one data point.
nortex97
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

We have plenty of discussions debating that on various forums, and I don't want to make this just another one.
Duncan Idaho
There is no need to debate it because it is a completely moot point.
GAC06
AG
So when is the peak?
bigtruckguy3500
ramblin_ag02 said:

These protocols are definitely not stopping it, but they're probably substantially slowing it down. No way to prove that either way though. So what's the difference with those and COVID? Why is COVID still spreading when these other respiratory viruses are not? In my mind, the continued spread of COVID lends more credence to the idea of asymptomatic spread. The time before symptoms with RSV and flu are both pretty short, and everyone is avoiding sick people. That alone could account for most of the flu and RSV drop with masks, distancing, and lockdowns doing the rest. Since the time before symptoms with COVID can be much longer, the basic "avoid sick people" strategy wouldn't work if asymptomatic spread is happening.
The way I explain it to folks is like a wildfire. If firefighters are fighting a wildfire that's till spreading, would we say that the firefighters are useless and we should just stop fighting it? Even if the firefighters can't stop the fire, we use them to contain it, to allow people the time to evacuate, etc.

Right now we're trying to slow COVID so that the medical community and scientists can come up with ways to treat it and vaccinate, etc. Removing all restrictions because they aren't working perfectly would potentially be devastating.
HotardAg07
AG
First, I'm sorry to continue the derailing of the purpose of the thread. Watching the hospitalization censuses scream up across the country is shocking. In Houston, it does not feel like we are having an outbreak the way it did in the summer, perhaps due to the lack of new restrictions or the pre-occupation with other news events, but we are closing in on the same hospitalizatoin level of the summer peak and Phase 1 capacity has been exceeded again with Phase 2 capacity in sight.

But, I would just like to add to the conversation about government interventions and coronavirus. Clearly, they work -- many countries/areas have dramatically shifted their curves through harsh interventions of different levels. And it should be very easy to accept that when people are around each other less, the virus spreads less than otherwise.

However, government recommendations, edicts, etc. do not tell the whole story and trying to make it the sole independent variable of coronavirus growth is extremely short sighted.

We KNOW that coronavirus transmissibility is affected by:
  • Temperature
  • Humidity
  • Whether an infected person is wearing a mask
  • Whether the receiver is wearing a mask
  • What cross-reactivity of antibodies someone has
  • What viral load someone gets
  • The density of population
  • The average household size
  • The cultural norms around touching and closeness
  • Sanitation and cleanliness norms
  • The types of jobs that people working in an area do -- what luxury they have to work from home or forced into exposure
  • Whether people are yelling, singing, etc. around other people
  • The trust in government and compliance with government recommendations
  • What strain/mutation of coronavirus is present.

It's clear that in different areas of the world, those knobs are all turning different directions at different times. Government edicts can only go so far, especially when they are poorly adopted. I took a road trip over the winter to Chicago. During our drive through Arkansas, I would enter gas stations that said masks were required for entry and nobody, not even the employees were wearing masks or doing anything to social distance.

However, in Japan where there are relatively few restrictions, my colleagues approach work and each other with the utmost caution without being forced to by government. They explain that due to their population density, avoiding pandemics has been a way of life long before COVID. Even they just recently had to declare a State of Emergency in Tokyo and more people have for the first time being shifted to work from home.

But just because any single government restriction or mitigation method cannot stop the coronavirus alone does not mean that they are pointless and without merit.
The Big12Ag
HotardAg07 said:

First, I'm sorry to continue the derailing of the purpose of the thread. Watching the hospitalization censuses scream up across the country is shocking. In Houston, it does not feel like we are having an outbreak the way it did in the summer, perhaps due to the lack of new restrictions or the pre-occupation with other news events, but we are closing in on the same hospitalizatoin level of the summer peak and Phase 1 capacity has been exceeded again with Phase 2 capacity in sight.

But, I would just like to add to the conversation about government interventions and coronavirus. Clearly, they work -- many countries/areas have dramatically shifted their curves through harsh interventions of different levels. And it should be very easy to accept that when people are around each other less, the virus spreads less than otherwise.

However, government recommendations, edicts, etc. do not tell the whole story and trying to make it the sole independent variable of coronavirus growth is extremely short sighted.

We KNOW that coronavirus transmissibility is affected by:
  • Temperature
  • Humidity
  • Whether an infected person is wearing a mask
  • Whether the receiver is wearing a mask
  • What cross-reactivity of antibodies someone has
  • What viral load someone gets
  • The density of population
  • The average household size
  • The cultural norms around touching and closeness
  • Sanitation and cleanliness norms
  • The types of jobs that people working in an area do -- what luxury they have to work from home or forced into exposure
  • Whether people are yelling, singing, etc. around other people
  • The trust in government and compliance with government recommendations
  • What strain/mutation of coronavirus is present.

It's clear that in different areas of the world, those knobs are all turning different directions at different times. Government edicts can only go so far, especially when they are poorly adopted. I took a road trip over the winter to Chicago. During our drive through Arkansas, I would enter gas stations that said masks were required for entry and nobody, not even the employees were wearing masks or doing anything to social distance.

However, in Japan where there are relatively few restrictions, my colleagues approach work and each other with the utmost caution without being forced to by government. They explain that due to their population density, avoiding pandemics has been a way of life long before COVID. Even they just recently had to declare a State of Emergency in Tokyo and more people have for the first time being shifted to work from home.

But just because any single government restriction or mitigation method cannot stop the coronavirus alone does not mean that they are pointless and without merit.

Thank you. If only everyone could be so rational and nuanced.

One good thing about this round of hospitalizations is the number of hospital personnel who should be immune - through prior illness or vaccine. I'm hearing less employees are out for this round so better able to support the incoming patients, although in my area of Texas we have surpassed the July peak hospitalizations already. And shooting up still.
Proposition Joe
Ultimately because there are so many variables or "knobs", people don't have to actually alter their belief, they can just blame it on one of the other variables.

And that hold true for both sides.

It also doesn't help matters when the same basic theory applies to where we choose to receive our information and how we choose to interpret it. When a poster posts a picture of armed military in the UK with automatic weapons drawn to enforce masks on the subway, do I really want to believe the guy on Twitter he's getting his talking points from is in any way credible?
DCAggie13y
AG
Yeah our mitigation measures in Virginia haven't changed since June and hospitalizations started increasing as temperatures dropped. We also had cases drop down in August with no changes. Its almost like this thing moves up and down regardless of intervention, though maybe mitigation limit the intensity of the increase.

Looking at Los Angeles, they are getting smashed and they have had the longest most aggressive lockdown in the country. They didn't relieve the lockdown before things took off.
cone
AG
it's those damn Kulaks
AggieMPH2005
To reinforce the original post: We couldn't transfer a patient today to a higher level of care due to no beds available. We are going to manage them in house instead. Bed availability is definitely limited and has been for the last 2 weeks and doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon.
cone
AG
we 100% need field hospitals

it's ridiculous that they stood one up in Harris County back in April and we don't have one now
Duncan Idaho
But the idea of a fire that our firefighters can't contain is too scary for me to handle. So i will cope by pretending it isn't that bad because most of the places that burn arent populated
GAC06
AG
You said before we are nowhere near the peak. When is the peak?
cone
AG
I'm assuming the current crisis lasts through February
Gordo14
GAC06 said:

You said before we are nowhere near the peak. When is the peak?

Peak cases late Jan or early feb depending on vaccine roll out. Peak death feb. That's what I think the data shows will happen. Begin returning to more of a normal in April/May. Completely notmal July/August. But we do need to aggressively vaccinate through the whole thing, because once there's a significant evolutionary pressure for the virus to become resistant to the vaccine that will be the point we are most at risk of that happening. Gotta build true herd immunity before that can happen IMO.
cone
AG
we're going to be getting boosters for years for this thing
Duncan Idaho
If you are talking timeline, I am going to guess At least 3 weeks out when the new years deaths hit. If the new strain doesn't modify behavior, it will be further out.

If you are talking daily death count, I am going to say we will hit at 6-7k a day before we start declining.

Like I said when I said we were going to loose 100,000s to this virus, I hope to God I am wrong.

I truly hope you can rightfully ttt this response and laugh at me
Gordo14
Just be glad the British strain didn't start here. According to NHS, 1 in 30 Londoners is actively infected with COVID. As long as we get vaccine rolling we should hopefully beat the worst of the new COVID strain.
tysker
AG
Gumby said:

Yeah our mitigation measures in Virginia haven't changed since June and hospitalizations started increasing as temperatures dropped. We also had cases drop down in August with no changes. Its almost like this thing moves up and down regardless of intervention, though maybe mitigation limit the intensity of the increase.
Cases werent ever likely to be linear but more likely sinusoidal . However different mitigations alter the amplitude of the curve
GAC06
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

If you are talking timeline, I am going to guess At least 3 weeks out when the new years deaths hit. If the new strain doesn't modify behavior, it will be further out.

If you are talking daily death count, I am going to say we will hit at 6-7k a day before we start declining.

Like I said when I said we were going to loose 100,000s to this virus, I hope to God I am wrong.

Oh ok, so you were just stating your wild guess as fact. Neat.
Duncan Idaho
No forward looking prediction can be called fact. They are all estimates.

Since you are so sure I am wrong, when do you think we peak?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
GAC06 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Oh ok, so you were just stating your wild guess as fact. Neat.

Not sure why we have to be so combative when we disagree with someone's opinion on here. 6-7k deaths/day is not really an unreasonable prediction given we are already at 4K and are continuing to rise, while cases continue to increase, as well.

GAC06
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I don't know, that's why I'm not telling people we aren't close to it. See how that works?
TPS Reports
AG
Gordo14 said:

Just be glad the British strain didn't start here. According to NHS, 1 in 30 Londoners is actively infected with COVID. As long as we get vaccine rolling we should hopefully beat the worst of the new COVID strain.
And just like that the White House task force announces a potential new more transmissible USA variant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/08/politics/white-house-coronavirus-task-force-reports/index.html
DCAggie13y
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

We may already be there nationally according to this model. State peaks will vary.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america?view=daily-deaths&tab=trend
bigtruckguy3500
cone said:

it's ridiculous that they stood one up in Harris County back in April and we don't have one now
There was a decent amount of political fall out in some circles for wastefulness because many went unused, or minimally used.

I suspect no one wants to be responsible for setting up a field hospital in the chance that this situation calms down by the time it's set up.

This is actually one of the reasons why healthcare is expensive. Sometimes you have to take preemptive measures that cost money in order to be ready should things go south.
cone
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

cone said:

There was a decent amount of political fall out in some circles for wastefulness because many went unused, or minimally used.

I suspect no one wants to be responsible for setting up a field hospital in the chance that this situation calms down by the time it's set up.

This is actually one of the reasons why healthcare is expensive. Sometimes you have to take preemptive measures that cost money in order to be ready should things go south.
seems reasonable

set up a field hospital when it's not exactly needed, but justifiably so since we didn't understand the virus at all or how sick people typically get. never admit that you didn't know what was coming and rightly overprepared out of fear. just quietly shut it down and never bring it up again.

nine months later, the threat is far more understood. hospitals actually don't have beds. and no movement of even getting a smaller version of the same field hospital stood up just to take some of the current pressure off.
HotardAg07
AG
In that situation, the limiting factor will not be beds/equipment, but the human resources of people who can work in an ICU environment. If it were an isolated spike, as when NYC raged in the spring, people from across the country can go work temporarily. However, if the spike is across the country, those supplementary resources may not be available.
cone
AG
from what i understand, the covid patients that can't get transfer or are piling up in ER hallways don't need ICUs (yet)

they need O2 and observation and typical standard of care

if that level of resource can't be found, then i hear that

but even non-covid patients can't obtain transfer now, because everything is full

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.