75% ICU now COVID.............

24,461 Views | 215 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Proposition Joe
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If regression analyses on peer reviewed papers are the only standard, good luck justifying NPI for upper respiratory virus pandemic control measures. Those studies don't exist, because the math doesn't work to support them.

You can question any number of papers as having not been reviewed by people whose opinion you agree with, but the data is there, and asserts what I indicated (also note discussion at link/image below);

If the stringency of lockdowns/NPI's aren't impacting deaths...then everything else being argued about/supporting them is an absurdity/distraction.

The latter articles I referenced (in the post) are pertaining to the flu (influenza). If cloth masks don't work in a healthcare environment...they probably don't work well amongst the public, is the simple/logical conclusion one can draw, though I didn't think I needed to spell it out. The authors of any paper/study/article discussing the lack of efficacy of such public masking will of course be under immense pressure to recant, so their later comments are...unsurprising, as academia is highly political on this point now (as is research funding).

But, the science behind the pre-2020 pandemic management guidelines was much more sound, and less politically driven than the present hysteria. Ultimately, we know the lockdowns have net cost lives, globally via the economic calamities they have directly caused. The impact on hunger alone, has been incredible, yet is wholly ignored in the popular press (something about racism/attitude toward poor africans comes to mind).

There's a great number of reasons why NPI's like lockdowns, contact tracing and masks aren't recommended to control epidemic influenza. It's irresponsible to argue otherwise, given the data (and there are books easily available to understand this, and the seasonality of influenza spread). If the simple application of NPI's doesn't work for influenza mitigation, it's surely less likely to have an impact on a coronavirus' spread.
Charpie
AG
Why does every thread with nortex97 posting on this forum turn into "masks don't work?"
AgsMyDude
AG

Quote:

Politics (86.2%)

Not that hard to figure out ^
corndog04
AG
nortex97 said:

If regression analyses on peer reviewed papers are the only standard, good luck justifying NPI for upper respiratory virus pandemic control measures. Those studies don't exist, because the math doesn't work to support them.

You can question any number of papers as having not been reviewed by people whose opinion you agree with, but the data is there, and asserts what I indicated

Like I said - the paper on fatemporor.com may be correct and I intend to read in more detail when work schedule allows. I will admittedly go in to this a little bit skeptical though given how clearly the authors present their intentions, it doesn't mean it's bad data.

For the rest it has nothing to do with who I do or do not agree with. One of the great things about using peer-reviewed journal articles is that we know the info and findings has been at least somewhat vetted through the review process and biases are (hopefully) filtered out. It is a pet peeve of mine for people to pick and choose sound bites, especially out of journal articles, and present them out of context as facts as it *******izes the whole process. If someone posted a list making alternate claims (that NPIs DO work) stating conclusions that don't actually match the source material intent I'd be equally peeved. Many of us come to this board not because we are coronabros and want to be good government lemmings, but because unlike many other boards on Texags we can hopefully come here to filter out the noise and find data from reliable sources (articles and/or observations from medical professionals with boots on the ground) to form our own opinions on the situation and what steps we should be taking if any. The very first post in the "Please read before posting" sticky in this forums says:
Quote:

We are launching this forum in that spirt, aiming to consolidate accurate, helpful information about the coronavirus and the various public health implications now impacting all of our lives.
. The context around most of your links were not accurate, and thus not helpful and not within the spirit of this forum.
Charpie
AG
And he'll come here and blast me.

Then his comments will be deleted. And in a couple of days, he'll come back to this thread.
nortex97
AG
Notacoronabro said:

It proves that all variables proposed have negligible impact on the outcome.

The question is what NPIs work? We've got 9 months of data now. Would be great if you could provide proof they work rather than claim the variables just aren't calibrated right.
This post (and ones around it), gordo and cowtown lead to the discussion here on NPI's. Happy to help!
Proposition Joe
One of his previous sources had a supposed picture of UK military with automatic weapons drawn "enforcing mask wearing on the subway".

He doesn't vet his sources, and he's willing to take some pretty ridiculous claims at face value as long as they support his angle.

He's simply not someone you should waste your time debating with.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.