Story Poster
Texas A&M
Florida
Texas A&M Baseball

End the debates! 2024 Ags reach program's first championship series

June 19, 2024

Press conference video courtesy of the NCAA

Game #65: #3 Texas A&M 6, Florida 0
Records: Texas A&M (52-13, 19-11), Florida (36-30, 13-17)
WP: Justin Lamkin (3-2)
LP: Liam Peterson (3-6)
Box Score

OMAHA, Neb. — The debates are now settled.

By advancing to the Men's College World Series championship, the 2024 Fightin' Texas Aggies are now undoubtedly the best baseball team in program history.

"We've played really good baseball," A&M head coach Jim Schlossnagle. "You have to give all of the credit to the players."

With a 6-0 Wednesday win over Florida, A&M advances to a best-of-three title series for the first time in Aggie baseball's 144-year existence.

"We're excited. I'm excited for the 12th Man. A&M is an awesome fanbase with incredibly proud and awesome people. You want to reward the commitment that they've made. I think we've done that."
- A&M head coach Jim Schlossnagle

A&M will face No. 1 national seed Tennessee beginning Saturday at Charles Schwab Field Omaha.

"We're excited," Schlossnagle said. "I'm excited for the 12th Man. A&M is an awesome fanbase with incredibly proud and awesome people. You want to reward the commitment that they've made. I think we've done that.

"Obviously, we'd like to win the whole thing, but it has been a good year to this point."

Fittingly, the Aggies spun their 12th shutout of the season to get there, blanking the Gators to equal a program record set by the 1990 club.

Leading that charge was Justin Lamkin, who offered five innings of three-hit baseball.

The lefty from Corpus Christi struck out nine in the process to set an Aggies in Omaha record.

"I think the big part of it is having self-confidence in myself, knowing I can go out there, and I can compete," Lamkin said of his success. "Having true confidence in all my pitches has really helped me out."

Along with his three innings vs. the Gators on Saturday, Lamkin has offered eight scoreless frames on the game's biggest stage.

Behind him on Wednesday was a filthy outing from Josh Stewart after an eight-pitch cameo by Chris Cortez.

The right-hander combined a low-90s fastball with a disgusting sweeper to rack up four punchouts.

"It means a lot to me," Stewart said of advancing. "I grew up a big A&M fan. It's awesome to be a part of the team that's able to be the first team that has made the finals. It's really cool to be a part of."

As he so often does, Evan Aschenbeck closed down the ballgame with two innings to pitch A&M into the championship series.

Through three games in Omaha, the Aggies have surrendered just three runs total.

And Florida rarely threatened, leaving the bases loaded in the third before stranding a pair in the sixth and eighth, respectively.

Conversely, Gator starter Liam Peterson walked in a run and gave up another on a Caden Sorrell sacrifice fly in the first.

Peterson recorded just one out.

Jamie Maury
Florida left eight men on base in Wednesday night’s contest.

"It's just about putting up the best ABs you can," Sorrell said. "I was just trying to put a good AB and drive the run in any way that I could."

The freshman outfielder added the exclamation point in the sixth in the form of a two-run home run off Brandon Neely as the lead swelled to 5-0.

"I know he's pretty fastball-heavy," Sorrell said. "He has a lot of arm-side run and ride on it, so I was just sitting fastball, trying to get something that started low or middle.

"Luckily, he threw a fastball that was pretty much middle-middle."

A&M's other runs scored via Gavin Grahovac's RBI double in the fifth and Kaeden Kent's run-scoring single in the ninth.

Both finished 2-for-4.

This stay in Omaha is becoming more and more unlikely as the Aggies have been hit hard by injuries.

Braden Montgomery and Shane Sdao were lost in the super regional.

Jace LaViolette tweaked a hamstring on Monday vs. Kentucky but played on Wednesday.

Hayden Schott, Jackson Appel and Ted Burton are among the key contributors playing at less than 100 percent.

Somehow, that doesn't seem to matter.

They'll play for a title anyway.

"From a team standpoint, you just rally around it. That's all you can do. You can't control it," Schlossnagle said. "You out-team the other team. That sounds coachy, but that's the way we talk about it."

Now 8-0 in the NCAA Tournament, the Aggies receive an additional day of rest by avoiding an "if necessary" contest on Thursday.

They'll practice and address the media on Friday before Saturday night's Game 1.

It will be the first time that one of A&M's "big three" sports — football, men's basketball or baseball — has played for a national championship since 1939.

Additionally, it will be Schlossnagle's first shot at the game's ultimate prize in his eighth trip to Omaha's pearly gates.

"I'm a college baseball fan, too," Schlossnagle said. "I'm tired of leaving before the championship. Personally, it's awesome. It's fun to be a part of. Excited to play an awesome Tennessee team."

These Aggies sit just two wins away from achieving immortality, but where they stand in A&M lore is already cemented.

It's no longer up for debate.

Discussion from...

End the debates! 2024 Ags reach program's first championship series

19,528 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Detmersdislocatedshoulder
you moran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whoop!!!
RaggedConverge
AG
Good!
jbirdag96
AG
2 more!!!
aggie67,74&76
AggieRain
agent-maroon
An L of an Ag
lagoag
Hell yeah, whooop. Now bring home the NC trophy.
citizenkane06
ntrain45
AG
Build that man a new stadium...by next year! This beats anything I've ever seen!
Noctilucent
AG
Great team work, Ags! Whoop!
Charlie 31
AG
The best Texas A&M Baseball Team, EVER. WHOOP!
Rexs Texas
WTG Aggies !!! This team has given the state of Texas baseball fans a lot to be proud of.
LatinAggie1997
AG
team's portfolio is strong to quite strong.
TAMU74
AG
ntrain45 said:

Build that man a new stadium...by next year! This beats anything I've ever seen!

I heard Coach Schloss make the comment about a new stadium. Is he suggesting that Bluebell Park be torn down and rebuilt or just some upgrades?
bamaag72
This is a great team. Their camaraderie is so good. I had the good fortune to meet some of the players on the 2022 team, and was very impressed by their friendliness . I suspect team is very similar. I will be be rooting for them in the championship series, but no matter the outcome, I am so proud of these fine young men!
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
As catcher Jake Taylor famously said, " i guess their is only one thing left to do. win the whole ****ing thing"

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.