Limit of one foul ball after 2nd strike?

13,656 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Secolobo
WolfCall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brandon Belt, who holds the record for most foul balls since 1988, apologized for his 13 minute, 21 pitch at bat with 16 foul balls, stating: "When I'm in the field I hate it when a batter keeps fouling pitches off," Belt said after the game. "I'm like 'Dude, just put it in play. It's not that hard. Let's go.' So I basically had to apologize to everybody after that." .....

https://www.mlb.com/news/longest-mlb-at-bats-on-record-c273475240
Quote:

Here are the longest MLB at-bats on record
Belt's 21-pitch battle tops all regular-season ABs since 1988
April 21st, 2024
Chad Thornburg and Matt Kelly @mattkellyMLB

...Giants first baseman Brandon Belt made history on April 22, 2018 -- three years ago Friday -- when he worked a 21-pitch at-bat during San Francisco's 4-2 win over the Angels in Anaheim. Belt hit 16 foul balls in the first-inning battle against Jaime Barria that ended in a fly ball to right field.

Belt's 21-pitch at-bat is the longest on record since 1988, as far back as the data is available, but his regular-season feat was surpassed in a Spring Training game by the Mets' Luis Guillorme. The utility player worked a 22-pitch walk on March 14, 2021, against Cardinals right-hander Jordan Hicks, who was seeing his first game action in over a year.

Below is a look at Belt and the other at-bats near the top of the list:

1. Brandon Belt, 1B, SF vs. Jaime Barria, RHP, LAA
April 22, 2018: 21 pitches, flyout

Belt wound up apologizing after his headline-grabbing showdown with Barria, because after years of standing at first base while opposing hitters fouled off pitch after pitch, he treated the Angels' fielders (and everyone in attendance) to a 13-minute affair.

"When I'm in the field I hate it when a batter keeps fouling pitches off," Belt said after the game. "I'm like 'Dude, just put it in play. It's not that hard. Let's go.' So I basically had to apologize to everybody after that." .....

Coolag02
RED AG 98
AG
You still on this????

Here, hold this:
1208HawkTree
AG

https://imgur.com/a/u2CXFM9
greg.w.h
AG
If OP doesn't like baseball go watch test match cricket. Those matches over multiple days will wear you out…
The Marksman
AG
OP should be permabanned
jrodwh00p
AG
Dumbest thing I've heard ever about baseball…. tell me you've never played baseball without telling me you have never played baseball…..
..The history of the world is that of religion. Violent faith, in either God or Man has shed an endless river of blood. It is not a matter of what you can live without, but which allows you the freedom to be indifferent..

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dBoy99
AG
Dude... give up.
jamieboy2014
AG
WolfCall said:

I can't believe I'm the only one that is sick of interminable foul ball hitting.
dogowner
OP wants slowpitch softball rules in baseball
Slicer97
AG
Tell me you don't understand baseball without telling me you don't understand baseball.
NumeroUno
AG
Nonsense. Pure nonsense.
CardiffGiant
AG
Delete user… ban thread.
Canyon99
OP is enjoying his/her gay month.
LOYAL AG
AG
Ali would be out right now.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Agsttt
WolfCall said:

Should there be a limit in College Baseball of only one foul ball after the second strike, with the hitter being called out on the 2nd foul ball after the 2nd strike?

This would limit the maximum number of pitches for a hitter to seven. And, avoid the interminable foul balls of a hitter adept at defending the plate.

This is where you reply and say someone either double dog dared you or paid you a ridiculous amount of money to vomit up this ridiculous post.

jkag89
Rob Manfred bot. Testing the waters in what he can get away with in his attempts to ruin the Game.
Ag 11
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Let me guess, you would also like:

• Starting count of each batter is 1-1
  • A complete game shall be 7 innings. However no new inning shall start after 55 minute time limit.
  • No leadoffs, no steals.
  • 10 fielders with 4 outfielders
  • COED
  • Forfeiture of game if fewer than 8 players are available

AND now they are saying we can't drink beer in the dugout anymore
RED AG 98
AG
Ag 11 said:

RED AG 98 said:

Let me guess, you would also like:

• Starting count of each batter is 1-1
  • A complete game shall be 7 innings. However no new inning shall start after 55 minute time limit.
  • No leadoffs, no steals.
  • 10 fielders with 4 outfielders
  • COED
  • Forfeiture of game if fewer than 8 players are available

AND now they are saying we can't drink beer in the dugout anymore
Just keep it off the field and you'll be alright boys. Don't make me write you up again.
Divining Rod
drthoop said:

I also think that if a fan catches a foul ball the batter should be out.

and if she's female, side is retired. and if she's under 8, you lose the game. that would be epic!
Shoefly!
AG
Tobias Funke said:

You seem to be under the impression that batters can just foul off any pitch they want, no problem, and you seem to think that batters are taking advantage of these super-simple "foul swings" to wear out pitchers.

Methinks OP has probably never swung a bat at a ball.

Ahahaha! My first thought too! The guy has played some EA sports NCAA College Baseball.
phatty26
greg.w.h said:

If OP doesn't like baseball go watch test match cricket. Those matches over multiple days will wear you out…

It's obvious he never played the game.
gambochaman
AG
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Specialized
AG
LOYAL AG said:

YokelRidesAgain said:

WolfCall said:

Should there be a limit in College Baseball of only one foul ball after the second strike, with the hitter being called out on the 2nd foul ball after the 2nd strike?

This would limit the maximum number of pitches for a hitter to seven. And, avoid the interminable foul balls of a hitter adept at defending the plate.

Unlike the rest of you comedians, I support the OP's visionary proposal.

To offset the new disadvantage to hitters, college baseball should also allow one batter per inning who reaches base to maintain possession of their bat, which can be used as a club against fielders. That would be cool.

I like this but let's take it one step further. If you go an inning without anyone reaching base then you get to carryover the missed club wielding runner to a later inning. Imagine having the bases loaded and everyone has a bat!

These are better ideas than OP.

Ragoo
AG
WolfCall said:

tamu2009 said:

Wtf is this? Slow pitch softball?
Oh no! Not Slow pitch softball response. Here is my rejoinder:

We call hitters Out when they foul the ball bunting with a two strike count and don't call it Slow pitch softball.

I can't believe I'm the only one that is sick of interminable foul ball hitting.
fouling a bunt is easier than fouling a full swing. I assume the bunt foul strike 3 rule to to prevent a guy just sitting there in a bunt stance intentionally fouling ball after ball.
gigumaggie
AG
Am I the only one that had to look up "interminable"?
TyperWoods
There used to be a rule that 4 foul balls was an out.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Ragoo said:

fouling a bunt is easier than fouling a full swing. I assume the bunt foul strike 3 rule to to prevent a guy just sitting there in a bunt stance intentionally fouling ball after ball.
You actually could bunt an unlimited number of balls foul up until the 1890s. The rule change was not about pitcher usage (no one cared how many pitches or innings a pitcher threw in those days), but rather the ability of some players to repeatedly try for a "perfect" bunt.

Wee Willie Keeler, who held the record for longest hit streak of all time until DiMaggio's 1941 performance (and is still 2nd of all time), was a master of bunt singles under this rule. Keeler was basically impossible to strike out (over 63 at bats per strikeout).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Maybe we should use a square "ball" too. Yeah that sounds cool and not at all dumb and for no reason.
TarponChaser
Delete user, ban thread. Revoke A&M diploma for sheer stupidity.
GenericAggie
AG
WolfCall said:

No. There's reasons for pitch count and strategies. You're going to penalize pitcher depth and reward a lack of depth.
EliteZags
AG
WolfCall said:

BeatHellOutOfTU said:

Not just no, but hell no! This is a great part of baseball, battling at the plate.
Actually a terrible part of the game. The new rule would:
  • force the hitters to actually hit rather than fouling away until they get a pitch they like
  • save some wear and tear on pitchers and lower their pitch count
  • save on baseballs and time

this is a major problem, batter should have to retrieve each foul ball himself
LRB38
S
Sorry if this was already stated, but you do realize if this were the case then we wouldn't have seen the Kent grand slam last week.
TexasAggie_97
AG
WolfCall said:

BeatHellOutOfTU said:

Not just no, but hell no! This is a great part of baseball, battling at the plate.
  • force the hitters to actually hit rather than fouling away until they get a pitch they like

Well then perhaps the pitchers should just give them a nice pitch to hit right down the middle of the plate.
tonytx05
AG
TexasAggie_97 said:

WolfCall said:

BeatHellOutOfTU said:

Well then perhaps the pitchers should just give them a nice pitch to hit right down the middle of the plate.
Why bother with that? What if we just bring out a tee once they get to a full count?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.