Limit of one foul ball after 2nd strike?

13,650 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Secolobo
TexasAggie_97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tonytx05 said:

TexasAggie_97 said:

WolfCall said:

BeatHellOutOfTU said:

Not just no, but hell no! This is a great part of baseball, battling at the plate.
Actually a terrible part of the game. The new rule would:
  • force the hitters to actually hit rather than fouling away until they get a pitch they like
  • save some wear and tear on pitchers and lower their pitch count
  • save on baseballs and time

Well then perhaps the pitchers should just give them a nice pitch to hit right down the middle of the plate.
Why bother with that? What if we just bring out a tee once they get to a full count?
Better yet just give them the base that would also save balls and pitchers arms.
tonytx05
StinkyPinky
AG
Whoa! I missed this gem!
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
OP is a great example for the argument that there should be a way to monetarily fine posters who clog up message boards like this..

The fine should start at $1000 and double for additional posts.
Mister Mystery Guest

EVA3
AG
If you keep coming up with terrible ideas like this, MLB is going to try to hire you.
zephyr88
AG

That's the dumbest idea that I've ever heard. Baseball was nearly perfect until they started applying all these new 'rules' to help the game. Get rid of the DH, pitch clock and the man on 2nd in extra innings, and never do anything to the foul ball rule,

I got your 'adept'.
ArlingtonAg2015
AG
Aggies1322
AG
The craziest part is that the guy tripled down on it.. I've never seen a dumber idea and the guy really kept defending his stance.
gigemags-99
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Maybe we should use a square "ball" too. Yeah that sounds cool and not at all dumb and for no reason.

Could you imagine? It would be like Plinko: "The "ball" is hit sharply towards second! It is fielded nicely by the first baseman for the out!"
Sq 17
This thread is awesome and should stay on page 1
TXAGBQ76
AG
Why not use other slow pitch rules like start with a 1-1 count, I even played in a tournament where you started with a 3-2 count. This will definitely speed up the game and save pitchers. SMH
Rossticus
WOW. That is all.
Crocs
AG
OP having zero blue stars is remarkable
MeUponMyPonyOnMyBoat
AG
This may be (respectfully) the dumbest thing I've ever seen on TexAgs (and that's saying something).

As HIGH SCHOOL players, we used to laugh at a certain opponent's third base coach who would instruct the batter to "just foul it off if you don't like it" (as if the batter truly had some wizard-like command of the bat to do such a thing).

I guess the batters who swing and miss for strike three didn't get the memo from OP that fouling it off is the better approach.

AggieOO
OP hit multiple fouls on this thread after his first two strikes.
Azeew
Welcome to the bandwagon! It's always fun to hear what first time baseball watchers are thinking!
Aggie_Fire
AG
I seriously didn't think this thread would make it past a few replies. This is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard for baseball. This just screams "tell me you don't like watching baseball without telling me you don't like watching baseball". I get it the games can be slow and repetitive at times, but true baseball fans don't mind the slow times because that is usually when a pitcher is getting it done! Leave the strikes and balls how they are.

It is the great duels between batters and pitchers that make the game fun to watch. I love it when it goes to 10 pitches or more to a single batter. Who is going to outlast the other and win? Who is going to mess up first?

Baseball is not as high paced as football. And it's not as slow as soccer with scoring. It's right where it needs to be.
Bondag
AG
So after 2 strikes, a pitcher can throw a pitch on the outside corner where the batter has to swing but if it's a foul it is an out.

You think this will save pitchers arms and make games faster.

This will result in 4 hour 0-0 games that go 14 innings.
94chem
5 pages in, and OP doesn't have a single blue star on any post. This is an epic beatdown.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Divining Rod
steve84 said:

I wouldn't like that at all. When I played little league back in the dark ages, the rule was 4 foul balls and your out. Hated it then, and would now. Of course that rule didn't apply to anyone but little league in Houston in the 1960's, not sure? Punishment for a good at bat, don't think so.
I could see the rationale as games (at least ours) had a 45 or 50 minute limit, so it was nice to move it along so everyone maximizes playing time.

On other hand, these were not expert batters and any kid who could foul it that many times SHOULD be rewarded. Could see it either way.

We had house rules in our own pick-up games where certain foul balls (and even HOME RUNS) were an out if you hit them over the fence due to the hassle of retrieving the ball!
Secolobo
AG
Why don't we also give the ball back to the offense if they fumble it through the endzone…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.