Foreign Substance - Georgia Pitcher's Glove

122,879 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by W
Aggies2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
scottk1966 said:

SEC Response...

Dad: Son, are you doing drugs?
Kid: I heard my friend Joe Bob is doing drugs.
That's not the SEC's twitter account. It's a fan account.
GrapevineAg
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

That and: At what time do you teach a child to cheat? And, if you cheat in games do you stop there or continue into life such as school, business, marriage, etc. Personally, the whole trend of cheating is okay, is disgusting.

Wish I could give more blue stars to you, sir.
Aggies2009
AG
Aggies2009 said:

No TrackMan data, but the average velocity on his fastball when facing every other opponent this year was 91-92.

Against the Ags on Saturday night, the average on his fastball was 95.
Sticky stuff wouldn't help increase velocity, would it?
Goose06
AG
Aggies2009 said:

No TrackMan data, but the average velocity on his fastball when facing every other opponent this year was 91-92.

Pine tar does not increase velocity. It increases spin which will make it either run more or more likely it will make it drop less which makes it harder to hit (makes it look like it's rising when really it's just staying closer to flat).
Gyles Marrett
Goose06 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Pine tar does not increase velocity. It increases spin which will make it either run more or more likely it will make it drop less which makes it harder to hit (makes it look like it's rising when really it's just staying closer to flat).
Theoretically, the ball staying on the fingers just that split second longer (which is what increases the spin rate) can also increase velocity.

Like Schloss said today in the interview, never seen a guy strike out Jace, Monty, and Appel swinging in a row all on the same pitch.
Thisguy1
Didn't mean to upset so many with that comment. I'm in the same opinion as everyone else that he cheated. My only point was everyone saying the reason he was so much better against us was because he was cheating doesn't hold as much weight as it does when you prove he's been doing this all year and teams have been hitting close to .300 against him.
Aggies2009
AG
"Others beat him while he was cheating so it's okay" is…. certainly a take.
RED AG 98
AG
Man, that interview with Schloss today was incredible. We are really lucky to have him as our coach. I'm sure there's some level of a veil just like there is with anyone, but his level of transparency and brutal honesty is refreshing. I only wish the interviews were longer, but I know he has real work to go do .
trouble
AG
Judging by one team we've dealt with this season, the answer is little league
RED AG 98
AG
No comments or thread on Schloss' other remark in that video: that a fellow SEC team has been busted this year for using live video in the dugout? Said he wouldn't out them, but it will eventually come out. And that said team is hitting .306 at home and .100 points less on the road...

As of today no team exactly matches those numbers but Arkansas and Vandy are pretty close...
Team Leaderboards D1Baseball
BadMoonRisin
AG
It was JD Thompson from Vanderbilt.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2024/04/20/jd-thompson-ejected-vanderbilt-baseball-foreign-substance-florida/73398850007/

edit; I just saw you meant using ipads in the dugout, not the foreign substance.

Not sure, in that case.
Thisguy1
It really ain't that deep.
RED AG 98
AG
Only skimmed very quickly but appears article is about foreign substance. Coach today mentioned a not yet public team busted for live video in the dugout, which isn't allowed. Is this related?

Edit: I see your edit. Yes, I was referring to ipads. Sounds like Coach would be in favor of an MLB like system with delayed video but that it is $$$$.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
AggieBand2004 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Gyles Marrett said:

What a stupid take. MLB acknowledged it was common enough to have umpires check pitchers every inning.

If it was commonplace, each infraction would be on Sportscenter because the umpires would've busted them.

Oh look, another poster who is unaware of the concept of "deterrent".

Oh look, another poster that can't use the language to explain themselves.
Sandman98
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

What a stupid take. MLB acknowledged it was common enough to have umpires check pitchers every inning.

There is nuance to rule breaking. Using technology to cheat is a different universe of cheating than getting a better grip.

The reason it was commonplace in MLB was because there wasn't much resistance from hitters (they have pitcher teammates, too). The gray area between safe and unfair is the sweet spot that hitters are comfortable with.
dermdoc
AG
Sandman98 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

There is nuance to rule breaking. Using technology to cheat is a different universe of cheating than getting a better grip.

The reason it was commonplace in MLB was because there wasn't much resistance from hitters (they have pitcher teammates, too). The gray area between safe and unfair is the sweet spot that hitters are comfortable with.

And that is the crux of the issue Saturday. This guy is not near as good as numerous SEC pitchers we have faced, none of whom have struck out 6 of our hitters in a row.

If "everybody does it" this guy is doing it much better than everybody else.

Definitely pushed the envelope way past what is "normal" stuff.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sandman98
AG
Yah it's like he found the right batch. And without a camera in everyone's hands, I think it eventually would have been found the old fashioned way (seeing him rub the glove).
Mark Fairchild
AG
GrapevineAg: Thank You!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
SchizoAg
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

That and: At what time do you teach a child to cheat? And, if you cheat in games do you stop there or continue into life such as school, business, marriage, etc. Personally, the whole trend of cheating is okay, is disgusting.
Well, it helps if you first teach them that he lives in a country/society/culture in which there is no justice, the deck is stacked against him, there is no such thing as merit, all hierarchies are oppressive, etc. Once you've absorbed that worldview, why would you not cheat? If everyone else who succeeds is doing so unfairly, then you'd have to be a real chump not to cheat.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Glad that I don't have your outlook on life. I believe that the Lord is in control, and that takes a huge load off my back.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
I am pretty sure it was stated above on this thread, but everyone needs to listen to Schloss's interview this morning, WOW that guy is so candid about his thoughts. So impressive.
JMac03
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

I am pretty sure it was stated above on this thread, but everyone needs to listen to Schloss's interview this morning, WOW that guy is so candid about his thoughts. So impressive.
Where do we find the interivew? I'm new to following all of this on Texags.
trouble
AG
Top of the forum. It's one of the stickied posts
RED AG 98
AG
JMac03 said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Where do we find the interivew? I'm new to following all of this on Texags.
In the Stickied Topics right at the top of the forum.

LINK
SchizoAg
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Glad that I don't have your outlook on life. I believe that the Lord is in control, and that takes a huge load off my back.
Why in the world would you think I was describing my outlook on life?
Scooley01
AG
trouble said:

Top of the forum. It's one of the stickied posts
Stickied, you say?!
RED AG 98
AG
Keep your posts right where you want them. Introducing:

Web Spider Tack (TM)

It's the Stickie for the web.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Welp…the UGA pitcher made the Outkick nightcaps Twitter feed.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
trouble
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Keep your posts right where you want them. Introducing:

Web Spider Tack (TM)

It's the Stickie for the web.

AggieBand2004
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

AggieBand2004 said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

Gyles Marrett said:

If it was commonplace, each infraction would be on Sportscenter because the umpires would've busted them.

Oh look, another poster who is unaware of the concept of "deterrent".

Oh look, another poster that can't use the language to explain themselves.

There aren't a lot of infractions BECAUSE of the deterrent (umpires automatically checking pitchers). So it WAS common, and a proper step was taken to deter cheaters from continuing to cheat.

Is that clear enough?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Aggies2009 said:

scottk1966 said:

SEC Response...

Dad: Son, are you doing drugs?
Kid: I heard my friend Joe Bob is doing drugs.
That's not the SEC's twitter account. It's a fan account.

Must be Georgia or Vandy fan.
AgsMnn
AG
Ag 11
AG
There's even a Jomboy breakdown now

dermdoc
AG
Ag 11 said:

There's even a Jomboy breakdown now

That is about as guilty as you can get.

It will be fascinating to watch this guys ERA the rest of the season.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Alex580
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Sticky stuff wouldn't help increase velocity, would it?
Typically no, mostly helps with increasing spin rate and some say it helps with control too. That pitcher typically starts for them so he probably just isnt holding back as much coming out of the pen.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.