Foreign Substance - Georgia Pitcher's Glove

79,311 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by W
safety guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What happened to the ball after the last out in the 8th.
AggieBand2004
AG
Alex580 said:

Aggies2009 said:

Aggies2009 said:

No TrackMan data, but the average velocity on his fastball when facing every other opponent this year was 91-92.

Against the Ags on Saturday night, the average on his fastball was 95.
Sticky stuff wouldn't help increase velocity, would it?
Typically no, mostly helps with increasing spin rate and some say it helps with control too. That pitcher typically starts for them so he probably just isnt holding back as much coming out of the pen.

If it helps with control, a pitcher can throw harder with more confidence. Easily worth a few extra mph's, even if it's only a function of the placebo effect
dermdoc
AG
safety guy said:

Great question.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TAMU1990
AG
Would there be residue on the ball? Could a different pitcher notice it?
Luke The Drifter
AG
dermdoc said:

safety guy said:

Great question.

The final out was a strikeout. I'm sure the UGA catcher took it to the dugout.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Thisguy1
That's a damn good video there from Jomboy not only showing it and exposing it, but also explaining how, when and why he was doing it.
dermdoc
AG
I look for this guy's ERA to double quickly. Baseball gods are capricious.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggies2009
AG
Ag 11 said:

There's even a Jomboy breakdown now

Ooohhhh man.

Jomboy has a big following. Interested to see how long the SEC tries to ignore this.
Gyles Marrett
Luke The Drifter said:

dermdoc said:

safety guy said:

Great question.

Yes, stayed in the catchers mit as he fist pumped then took it to the dugout…
Sterling82
I have no doubt that something is up here. But some of those pitches looked very hittable and were hardly big breakers.
safety guy
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

Luke The Drifter said:

dermdoc said:

safety guy said:

Great question.

Yes, stayed in the catchers mit as he fist pumped then took it to the dugout…

Watch again. It looked like he flipped the ball towards the mound after the fist pump.
AggieBand2004
AG
Nvm
snowdog90
This whole thing is amazing to me. Dude is obviously cheating.

1. What is going to be done about it?

2. Will Georgia deny it?

3. Will any journalists dare question Georgia about this?

4. Is there any technology that can judge the spin rates of Saturday's game with other games this guy has played?

I don't expect the answers to all these questions, but wow, how embarrassing and fraudulent that Georgia "win" was.

I think it might affect them as the season progresses.
Hopefully they are watched like eagles the rest of the way.
StinkyPinky
AG
Surely SEC cannot not say anything as much exposure this has gotten.
Aggies2009
AG
snowdog90 said:

2. Will Georgia deny it?

4. Is there any technology that can judge the spin rates of Saturday's game with other games this guy has played?

I don't expect the answers to all these questions, but wow, how embarrassing and fraudulent that Georgia "win" was.

To answer #4, he's been doing this for several games this season on video. This game wouldn't be an anomaly.
Alex580
AG
its pretty damning evidence but what are they supposed to do, umps never checked him.
twk
AG
snowdog90 said:

2. Will Georgia deny it?

1. Nothing, other than possibly having the umpires take a look at pitchers more regularly going forward (and this guy won't be singled out).

2. Nothing.

3. Probably not.

4. I believe so, but we'd have to get input from other schools because UGA certainly wouldn't give theirs up.

I'm sure other coaches will keep an eagle eye on UGA going forward. If their results suddenly fall off, everyone will assume that it was because they stopped cheating.
TexAg1987
Alex580 said:

its pretty damning evidence but what are they supposed to do, umps never checked him.

I believe they have enough video evidence. They at least need to acknowledge it, give a warning, something.
Otherwise, every other pitcher in the league needs to start doing the same thing.
It is either illegal or it is not.
Alex580
AG
What college baseball needs to do is just have umps meet the pitchers at the mound when they come into the game like they do in MLB, no reason they cant do the same glove check for each pitcher.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Again, do not expect any coach to speak up about this. I assure you no SEC coach…heck, no coach anywhere…wants his pitching staff put under the microscope.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
RED AG 98
AG
Every away venue in the SEC where this guy has pitched will have TrackMan data on him including spin rate. I don't think Georgia would have to cooperate at all.

I don't expect any public acknowledgment but I bet the wheels have been absolutely spinning behind the scenes on this one all day. We may notice a few changes of behavior from blue but that's about all I would expect. And I would be happy to be wrong.
Sandman98
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Surely SEC cannot not say anything as much exposure this has gotten.

I can't read past the user name
histag10
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Ag 11 said:

There's even a Jomboy breakdown now

Ooohhhh man.

Jomboy has a big following. Interested to see how long the SEC tries to ignore this.

Went down the comments rabbit hole. It's easy to spot the Georgia fans lol
RED AG 98
AG
Scrolling through wheels' highlights. The UGA catcher does immediately throw last strikeout ball of the 8th back onto the field. Pitcher still got caught but they weren't say brazen as to accidentally remove the ball from play, as some suggested...

Here, start at 13:56 -

RGLAG85
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Scrolling through wheels' highlights. The UGA catcher does immediately throw last strikeout ball of the 8th back onto the field. Pitcher still got caught but they weren't say brazen as to accidentally remove the ball from play, as some suggested...

Here, start at 13:56 -

It doesn't turn the ball into fly paper, it would not be very detectable on the ball. It just makes the ball feel a little tackier for the pitcher using it.

And as Sandman says, no coach will want to make a big issue of this for the fear of his own staff. If anything happens, it will be quietly behind the scenes. It's more widespread than just a few rogue pitchers, this guy just got busted for his stupidity in the bullpen. Why they hid it behind the pole is one of the biggest stupid parts.
RED AG 98
AG
I completely understand that. Just posted to show that they didn't take the ball away. The evidence would be mostly all on his glove and two fingers.
Aggies2009
AG
Are you talking to yourself?
StinkyPinky
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Look a bit more closely.
RED AG 98
AG
Aggie X account has jokes.

Kenneth_2003
AG
Sterling82 said:

I have no doubt that something is up here. But some of those pitches looked very hittable and were hardly big breakers.

Maybe a dumb question here... What is the scouting report on him? Seems to me he doesn't necessarily have to be unhittable, he just needs to out pitch his scouting report.
Sandman98
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Sterling82 said:

Maybe a dumb question here... What is the scouting report on him? Seems to me he doesn't necessarily have to be unhittable, he just needs to out pitch his scouting report.

I went back and watched him against Mizzou. Seemed less amped. Lower heart rate. But Olsen and the badass Aggie team can do that to a man.

He pitched considerably lower in the zone against Mizzou on average and was 90-93. Velocity was a tick higher against the Ags (part of being amped maybe).

He clearly tried to pitch up in the zone which was smart and probably the plan all weekend. But it seems pretty clear that he spun it better against the Ags and was able to ride the heater up more often.
Aggies2009
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Aggies2009 said:

Look a bit more closely.

EEEEEEE on me
Aggies2009
AG
I'll be watching his spin rate from here on out now that he's under a microscope.
AGinHI
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Aggie X account has jokes.

Such an awesome video!!!
NWE
AG
Is it true no one had struck out the side against us this season until he cheated and then it happened back to back innings?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.