Softball Coach Update

136,563 Views | 634 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgBQ-00
Goro Majima
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd be ok with this if she were the hire.
jmcfar_98
AG
I'm fine with her too. Just need some new blood. I like having a proven HC instead of an asst. coach being promoted. Plus she's a pitching coach. Something we never had here.
85AustinAg
AG
Anybody seen the smart arse that was on here telling us nobody on here knew anything?
greg.w.h
AG
85AustinAg said:

Anybody seen the smart arse that was on here telling us nobody on here knew anything?
Not a single prediction matches this outcome. Who is the smart ass? Me.
greg.w.h
AG
I will support the hire but Jo took a team to the WCWS one year earlier with the same outcome. So the only thing particularly exciting about the hire is the conference progression to a #1 this year. The rest isn't distinct…YET.

But change often makes things different and allows them to get better.

I'm not worried about culture. We either figured it out with the women's golf hire we let go or we get to learn it the next time. If she makes College Station her home and gets involved in the community and makes the connection with the region softball teams and can recruit this region and softball crazy California, it should turn out fine. The minimum expectation is she solves for the talent leak we kept trying to make sense of.
KBAGOLFER
I threw out names I would've like to have been the next A&M coach, and took what looch said and started this thread. I've known the game and coached it on and off again for 20+ years and love A&M. If Ford is the hire everyone who knows the game of softball knows A&M just upgraded our pitching coach from a used Toyota Camry to a Brand New Range Rover. Is a Range Rover the best suv/car out there, no but sure is nicer than a used Camry. In reality and perception

She also has 3 unbelievable recruiting and hitting coach options in Jimmy k, Harger, or Snider. I'd love Snider and Jimmy. Those guys can and have flat recruited studs from FL-Cali and all places in between
KayakBassAngling
KBAGOLFER
Trish Ford…
Arguably the best softball player in Saint Mary's history, Ford, the former Trisha Dean, is the only female student-athlete in school history to have her number (9) retired. In the spring of 2007, Ford was among six former athletes and coaches to be inducted into the Saint Mary's College Hall of Fame.
KayakBassAngling
cevans_40
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

cevans_40 said:

KBAGOLFER said:

I think it's not a hit you in the mouth hire in TX and in the South. However, I think it is in the Western half of the USA. Remember she just led her team to a 43-11 record, 20-4 PAC 12 record, PAC 12 Coach of the Year. That's a huge deal to take the best coach from their league

Perez and Lowe got to WCWS, but Ford won the conference

I somewhat agree with this but let's not pretend that this like taking Kelly Perez from UCLA or Lowe from Arizona. This won't really move the needle the way I was hoping we could. This is honestly below tu getting Mike White and that makes me a little sad.

Let's not pretend anyone, anywhere, with any amount of money could get those two who played where they're coaching. What's sad is a lot of us, like me we're naming names. Never did I think we could take the PAC 12 coach of the year away from a proud AZ State program, either. We know she grew up and played in Cali, Coached her whole career in the West. Once she gets those Cali recruits to a football game and to Davis Diamond she'll be reeling them in

Bring a great recruiter and defensive coach with her and one of Jimmy, Harger, or Snider and we'll be recruiting like NEVER BEFORE

I think we are talking different things. I am not worried about the hire and don't necessarily think it's a bad hire. It's just underwhelming. I hope and honestly think it can be a great hire, just not going to send shock waves across the softball world (especially in Texas). I was hoping for something that was going to be in news cycle for a while. Which for me, is kinda of out of character. Generally I don't give a damn about what anyone thinks and don't really have a desire to be flashy.
KW02
AG
Well, we tried to get a few big fish but they all got their salaries matched or above what A&M offered. Could not money whip out top wishes.
DTP02
AG
2x conference COY in 5 years in a great conference says something about her coaching ability. On a less coaching-relevant note, she's married to a man and is a mom, so that's different and a plus in my book. Also probably leads to quicker and deeper community connection and roots, regardless of your feelings re her preferences.
Positive Yardage
AG
I don't know that anyone is bashing this hire if it's true, it's just not one that the casual fan would be motivated to go and get season tickets for. Which is fine, it just is what it is and we run with it and support and see what happens. I have no doubt she will be successful.
KBAGOLFER
I go back to Ross hiring Gerrod Chadwell, not an earth shattering hire, up and comer, coach of the year AAC. What I remember was the recruiter he was and is and talking about a great place to raise children. Aggieland is a special place and one The Ford family will love and embrace.

I'm going to get a little poignant right now though with all on here in this thread. Coach Ford has recruited at a HIGHER LEVEL THAN tu, and the apologists saying she is not as good of hire as him is flat out ridiculous. That dude is making his 1st trip to the WCWS and they got hot at the right time is the only way they got there because they underperformed during the regular season not even getting a host site.
Where as Ford got a 8 National seed. tu coach had 0 ties to Texas before he got here. This lady is as good as pitching coach as he is and will put a better product on the field too. So stop with the underwhelming and what not. Just because she wasn't on our radar, mine included doesn't mean we're not getting an amazing coach.

I'll be at the press conference when she's introduced and will 100% be supporting her, please join me in texting your select contacts to look at A and B coaches side by side one being 10 years younger and look at the rsums

Gig Em'
KayakBassAngling
KBAGOLFER
KBAGOLFER said:

I go back to Ross hiring Gerrod Chadwell, not an earth shattering hire, up and comer, coach of the year AAC. What I remember was the recruiter he was and is and talking about a great place to raise children. Aggieland is a special place and one The Ford family will love and embrace.

I'm going to get a little poignant right now though with all on here in this thread. Coach Ford has recruited at a HIGHER LEVEL THAN tu, and the apologists saying she is not as good of hire as him is flat out ridiculous. That dude is making his 1st trip to the WCWS and this is same guy who took his whole team from Oregon who made the WCWS and brought them to tu and he couldn't get back to the WCWS, and left Oregon high and dry in the middle of the night. tu got hot at the right time is the only way they got there because they underperformed during the regular season not even getting a host site.
Where as Ford got a 8 National seed. tu coach had 0 ties to Texas before he got here. This lady is as good as pitching coach as he is and will put a better product on the field too. So stop with the underwhelming and what not. Just because she wasn't on our radar, mine included doesn't mean we're not getting an amazing coach.

I'll be at the press conference when she's introduced and will 100% be supporting her, please join me in texting your select contacts to look at A and B coaches side by side one being 10 years younger and look at the rsums, facilities, university, and lol the football team and attendance

Gig Em'
KayakBassAngling
SpartanAg1618
AG
DTP02 said:

2x conference COY in 5 years in a great conference says something about her coaching ability. On a less coaching-relevant note, she's married to a man and is a mom, so that's different and a plus in my book. Also probably leads to quicker and deeper community connection and roots, regardless of your feelings re her preferences.

Wow, we are going to be so good because the new coach has sex with a man…. What a dumb thing to say. Completely irrelevant.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Yes, you. You said no one on here would know anything about the hire until the AD announced it. Well no word from the AD but looks like we've got our coach. You kept telling everybody that nobody knew anything about who was going to be hired and it was a waste of time listening to folks on here discuss it. Well you were wrong. Somebody knew before the AD announced. Someone always does and its always on Texags.
KW02
AG
Interesting tweet from Snider tonight:

" A coach once told me, "Coach if you're happy where you are, NEVER mess with that. Never mess with happiness because in our professional it's hard to come by."

I endorse this statement! Never take happiness and stability for granted.

Thank you for attending my Ted Talk."
AgDad77
AG
TEXAGS KNOWS STUFF!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
DTP02
AG
SpartanAg1618 said:

DTP02 said:

Wow, we are going to be so good because the new coach has sex with a man…. What a dumb thing to say. Completely irrelevant.

First, you mischaracterized what I said completely in your haste to virtue signal. The only one who said "the dumb thing to say" was you, because that wasn't anything close to what I said.

As to what I did say, it may be completely irrelevant to you (but I question if that's even accurate, given the knee-jerk reactionary tenor of your response) , but it's not to a lot of people, including myself. Given the traditional family values and heavy Christian presence in the Aggie community, it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

Moreover, sexuality is a significant issue in women's sports and something that impacts recruiting and perceptions of programs, and cuts both ways, frankly. If you aren't aware of this subtext in women's sports, including our own program, that's on you. Same for everyone who agreed with you.

And the point about having a traditional family making it easier to make connections in the Aggie community and having children making it easier to relate to players and their parents is relevant regardless of your desire to pretend otherwise.
Colt98
AG
Actually who she has sex with is irrelevant... but having kids and being a mother is relevant and very noticeable that our former coach did not have them. Raising kids today keeps you engaged with current issues kids deal with. Our former coach had very little contact with her players outside of Davis. The more I've talked to a few of my old coaches, I'm pretty excited about the hire.... There will be a noticeable difference in our program next year, and I believe our current players should be excited for the change. As stated above, if she can get 2 out 3 of those coaches to join her staff, those dudes are straight studs in recruiting and hitting.
cevans_40
AG
SpartanAg1618 said:

DTP02 said:

As much as people like to stereotype softball players, straight players are still the norm and coaches who aren't will have to deal with issues that straight coaches do not. I can assure you that it had an impact on our program. It might not be fair but its one less thing to deal with.
AgDad77
AG
Very well said Mr Colt!!!!

What you said is spot on!!!
rugger74
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

I'm going to get a little poignant right now though with all on here in this thread. Coach Ford has recruited at a HIGHER LEVEL THAN tu, and the apologists saying she is not as good of hire as him is flat out ridiculous. That dude is making his 1st trip to the WCWS and they got hot at the right time is the only way they got there because they underperformed during the regular season not even getting a host site.

I'll be at the press conference when she's introduced and will 100% be supporting her, please join me in texting your select contacts to look at A and B coaches side by side one being 10 years younger and look at the rsums

Gig Em'
I thought the tu coach was in the series alot with Oregon. Did you mean while at tu?
cevans_40
AG
rugger74 said:

KBAGOLFER said:

Gig Em'
I thought the tu coach was in the series alot with Oregon. Did you mean while at tu?

There are so many holes to blow in his claims but I am just gonna let it be. Mike White was/is a big time hire for the sips, as much as it pains me to say. I hope that Coach Ford can out-recruit him in Texas because he kicked her rear end with regularity when they were in the PAC 12 together.
greg.w.h
AG
85AustinAg said:

Quote:

Yes, you. You said no one on here would know anything about the hire until the AD announced it. Well no word from the AD but looks like we've got our coach. You kept telling everybody that nobody knew anything about who was going to be hired and it was a waste of time listening to folks on here discuss it. Well you were wrong. Somebody knew before the AD announced. Someone always does and its always on Texags.

The predictions up to now didn't match. The new information isn't confirmed yet. That is exactly what I meant. No one knew anything.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
_mpaul
AG
rugger74 said:

KBAGOLFER said:

Gig Em'

I think this is his sixth trip overall. I knew who he was when tu hired him, and I knew it would be a problem for us.
cevans_40
AG
Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

cevans_40 said:

rugger74 said:

KBAGOLFER said:

Gig Em'

There are so many holes to blow in his claims but I am just gonna let it be. Mike White was/is a big time hire for the sips, as much as it pains me to say. I hope that Coach Ford can out-recruit him in Texas because he kicked her rear end with regularity when they were in the PAC 12 together.

So you are calling someone out for accuracy, White and Ford only had two seasons when they were each on the PAC, so routinely kicking her rear is not accurate

Well when you consider he was 2 for 2, that's about as regular as it gets. Dude has also been to the WCWS more times than not in the last decade. Something not many others can claim.
85AustinAg
AG
This thread went from predictions to announcements. Try and keep up. Some people always know and they usually post it somewhere on Texags.
KBAGOLFER
rugger74 said:

KBAGOLFER said:

Gig Em'

You're right, I meant since he got to tu
KayakBassAngling
cevans_40
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

rugger74 said:

KBAGOLFER said:

Gig Em'

You're right, I meant since he got to tu

2 supers and 1 WCWS (hopefully it's not about to be a championship appearance) since going to tu. Wish we had that type of success.
BQ_90
AG
KBAGOLFER
cevans_40 said:

cevans_40 said:

rugger74 said:

KBAGOLFER said:

Gig Em'

So you are calling someone out for accuracy, White and Ford only had two seasons when they were each on the PAC, so routinely kicking her rear is not accurate

Well when you consider he was 2 for 2, that's about as regular as it gets. Dude has also been to the WCWS more times than not in the last decade. Something not many others can claim.

You know how many loses he had his last year at Oregon 10

Know his record in PAC 12 that year 21-3

Finished what in the PAC 12- 1st

Ford this year finished w/ 11 loses

Know her record in PAC 12-20-4

Finished what in the PAC 12-1st
KayakBassAngling
Colt98
AG
Happy now greg?
cevans_40
AG
_mpaul said:

rugger74 said:

KBAGOLFER said:

Gig Em'

I think this is his sixth trip overall. I knew who he was when tu hired him, and I knew it would be a problem for us.

6 times in 12 years. That's not very good
cevans_40
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

cevans_40 said:

cevans_40 said:

rugger74 said:

KBAGOLFER said:

Gig Em'

You know how many loses he had his last year at Oregon 10

Know his record in PAC 12 that year 21-3

Finished what in the PAC 12- 1st

Ford this year finished w/ 11 loses

Know her record in PAC 12-20-4

Finished what in the PAC 12-1st

OK, cool. She got bounced in a regional while White is about to make the championship series. I don't want this to be the case but we have better history and facilities but we couldn't hire a coach with a better pedigree. She may very well go on to be better than White (I will certainly be rooting for her) but to claim she is at his level currently is insane.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.