Softball Coach Update

136,389 Views | 634 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgBQ-00
LatinAggie1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agreed on the CA ayers. When I state "talent " level I mean the large quantity of elite players that have been well coached. Imo, 1. CA 2. TX.

I concur on the lack of announcement and the WCWS still going likely means TW.
KBAGOLFER
Tyson has been banned from Corona so many times it's not even funny. They'll go without him for a minute start losing and bring him right back. Dude Also knows how to go off on umpires too. It's all about relationships and development and Gasso and company are the BEST at Both.

Ou will be in the SEC in two years. This hire has to be able to make waves like the Schloss and staff hires, and STAFF. You go get whoever you better bring in TW with Rocha, Lombardi, yes I know she's coaching somewhere else, and Snider or Mowatt from Arizona and Habetz from Bama. I want assistants who have relationships with Cali to Gold Coast Hurricane to Scottie to Shelton/Naud to H-town contacts and all the cracks in between
KayakBassAngling
LatinAggie1997
AG
Oh yeah...give me some OC BB, Corona Angels, SoCal A's, Rico FC, Thunderbolts, Gold Coast H, Glory , SI, IG, Bombers, Georgia Impact, Beverly Bandits, etc....

And WE ARE GOLDEN!!!

Grief...forgot Tampa Mustangs.
KBAGOLFER
LatinAggie1997 said:

Oh yeah...give me some OC BB, Corona Angels, SoCal A's, Rico FC, Thunderbolts, Gold Coast H, Glory , SI, IG, Bombers, Georgia Impact, Beverly Bandits, etc....

And WE ARE GOLDEN!!!

Connections, connections, connections

I don't want the 5th best player from said organizations. I want the 1&2 players when I call. I want them to come to Kyle Field against whoever, see the apartment complex, and see state of the art facilities like Engineering school or softball stadium

KayakBassAngling
LatinAggie1997
AG
Man, iam getting giddy...I feel like the early mornings heading to Huntington Beach complex knowing we are facing great teams.

The possibilities!
KBAGOLFER
Next year I want to be in Clearwater, FL. Whatever we have to do to knock the door down, let's do it

Play in Mary Nutter too but that was Jo's thing. Play the best everywhere and anywhere
KayakBassAngling
oragator
I have no idea what Walton's ultimate goals are, since he went to OU, he might want to close his career back in that part of the world. But KSP didn't get "mere upgrades". They basically razed it and started over (the demolition pics are online to see) - new stands, increased capacity, new press box, a 360 concourse, new locker rooms, new pitching and hitting facilities etc. It's as good as any facility in the country now. Walton has never been anything but complimentary and appreciative of it.

Baseball got a totally new stadium because the land the old one was on was right near the football stadium, so that's where the new football only facility was earmarked for, they had to move. They put the new baseball field out near the softball field on the other side of campus.

Side note, for next years class he has three of the top four players in the country committed right now, so he has things set up for another nice run.. Not sure why he would leave that, and it won't be for money, UF can match whatever anyone throws out. Unless again it's just for a new challenge,
But Walton or otherwise, good luck with your search.
HiddenAg2
I'd be happy with either Walton or Kenny G. Also, Florida doesn't have as much money as A&M anymore so we could probably outbid Florida if we wanted Walton bad enough. I think I'd still go after Kenny G first because I think he is going to be special and has a longer runway remaining in his career.
ashleymac
I'd just like to say that in no way did I mean it would be morally wrong to hire a man to coach the team. That's not it at all.

I think it would just feel I don't know weird (?) Or off to me. Seeing that I watch softball practically religiously and they've gone on all year how it's the celebration of 50 years of title 9, all the love the PAC is getting for all head coaches being female, the push being made to get more female coaches in the business and the like. Obviously - I don't want to hire a female just to check a box and say we did. It's just a feeling for me.

I am in OKC right now at the WCWS - and the general comments I'm getting from folks around me in my section is the average softball fan doesn't like how the Coach Evans situation was handled. I know "we" don't really care about that and in the long run it doesn't matter. But I have found that fact a bit interesting.

At the end of the day I hope our hire is someone we as fans and our players can be proud of and that we get back to putting a product on the field that we can all be proud of.
KBAGOLFER
Latin,
TW must be interested if gator fans are coming onto the site to see if their softball coach is leaving. Oh the power of the World Wide Web. Gator did you see what coach Taylor did at GA for WBB, like a top 5 recruiting class including like the #1 and 5 players in the country. She's amazing, oh wait she's at A&M and those players are now going to A&M.

Players want to be coached by great coaches. If TW gets this job, those players will be on their way to A&M. It's just the landscape of sports now
KayakBassAngling
AgDad77
AG
Well I think your Clearwater wish will be granted - it will be a nice change and a nice trip.
oragator
I am on this site all the time, look at my post history .

As far as the money, sure, if you offered something way out of market you could price us out, but anything remotely reasonable and we would likely pay it. He's a good coach with a great track record and well liked at UF. Our AD is already on shaky ground as well for other reasons, he can't afford to let Walton go if it's In his power. Might cost him his job, seriously.

And for what it's worth, I haven't heard a single peep from the Florida side about it, not that it's the end all. Just usually when a coach is looking around you hear rumors from both sides. None of the UF insider folks have said word one about it.

Which all means he will be announced to A&M the day after the tournament lol.
PlanoGuy
HiddenAg2 said:

I'd be happy with either Walton or Kenny G. Also, Florida doesn't have as much money as A&M anymore so we could probably outbid Florida if we wanted Walton bad enough. I think I'd still go after Kenny G first because I think he is going to be special and has a longer runway remaining in his career.
How does TW have a longer runway remaining in his career? They are basically the same age as they both played on the OU baseball team that won the National championship in 1994.
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
KBAGOLFER
TW is 49, like 10-11 years left. I honestly think it'll be hard pulling him out with the weather, beaches, Disney, and Universal Studies so close to him.

If it's change and a new challenge he's after than we're just the right spot. I mean we are closer to Cali where he grew up and Oklahoma where his wife grew up, and there is no arguing The Twelve is a great place, but are we over looking other candidates or is the search taking us to our 5/6/7th options. Only time will tell

KayakBassAngling
aggiebrad94
AG
Quick favor to ask - could someone please list the coaches y'all are discussing with their Full Name and where they coach?

I lost track a few pages back of who some of the players are.

TIA
LatinAggie1997
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Quick favor to ask - could someone please list the coaches y'all are discussing with their Full Name and where they coach?

I lost track a few pages back of who some of the players are.

TIA

Original list no particular order:

Lonni Alameda - FSU
Courtney Deifel- Ark
K. Gajewski- Okie Lite
Tim Walton - Florida
Patrick Murphy - Bama
Heather Tarr - Washington
Jennifer Richa -OU (assistant)
Craig Snider - A&M (assistant)

Remaining possibilities:

Tim Walton
Jennifer Rocha
Craig Snider
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Imo, Craig Snider Is not a viable option.
LatinAggie1997
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

Imo, Craig Snider Is not a viable option.

I agree. I was simply answering the question posted and Snider was discussed.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

I am in OKC right now at the WCWS - and the general comments I'm getting from folks around me in my section is the average softball fan doesn't like how the Coach Evans situation was handled. I know "we" don't really care about that and in the long run it doesn't matter. But I have found that fact a bit interesting.

LOL. We couldn't have handled it any better. She likely didn't want to retire. She wasn't living up to the expectations and the program is sideways. We didn't force her out early, we let her coach through her contract.

If I were a softball fan of other schools I'd also have wanted Jo to stay at A&M.
_mpaul
AG
ashleymac said:

I'd just like to say that in no way did I mean it would be morally wrong to hire a man to coach the team. That's not it at all.

I think it would just feel I don't know weird (?) Or off to me. Seeing that I watch softball practically religiously and they've gone on all year how it's the celebration of 50 years of title 9, all the love the PAC is getting for all head coaches being female, the push being made to get more female coaches in the business and the like. Obviously - I don't want to hire a female just to check a box and say we did. It's just a feeling for me.

At the end of the day I hope our hire is someone we as fans and our players can be proud of and that we get back to putting a product on the field that we can all be proud of.
1. Title IX is stupid and should be repealed.

2. I'd be surprised if the "average softball fan" knew who Jo Evans was. Regardless, I agree with Bunk: We couldn't have handled it any better. In fact, I wish more ADs would simply let contracts expire rather than terminate early, and structure contracts to provide more flexibility for that as an option. I'm not aware of any mean or nasty comments about Jo by the AD or school, and she was likely on notice that this was here last run barring a phenomenal season.

I have been big fan of Jo. I first "discovered" Aggie softball in 2005--the team with Sharonda McDonald and Adrian Gregory. The Scarborough/Wilson teams were a blast to follow. Jo did a lot of good things.

But the SEC, unsurprisingly, changed everything. I always thought our biggest struggle joining that conference would be softball, rather than football, baseball, or basketball, and that's proven true. For whatever reason, things are not trending upward, and the AD likely has the best insight into why. Compound that with tu's hire of White, and the proximity of OU and LSU, we had do something, whether that's making a change or dropping her compensation to affect results (and when has the latter ever happened (actually, I think Jim Harbaugh did that voluntarily a couple of years ago)).

3. I will never be "proud" of who we hire or the product we put on the field, because I will have nothing to do with either. I will just follow from a distance, attend the occasional game, and root for them, regardless of who we hire or the product on the field. Admittedly, it's a lot easier and more fun to care when we're winning and with a coach and players that aren't off-the-field problems.
Positive Yardage
AG
oragator said:

I am on this site all the time, look at my post history .

As far as the money, sure, if you offered something way out of market you could price us out, but anything remotely reasonable and we would likely pay it. He's a good coach with a great track record and well liked at UF. Our AD is already on shaky ground as well for other reasons, he can't afford to let Walton go if it's In his power. Might cost him his job, seriously.

And for what it's worth, I haven't heard a single peep from the Florida side about it, not that it's the end all. Just usually when a coach is looking around you hear rumors from both sides. None of the UF insider folks have said word one about it.

Which all means he will be announced to A&M the day after the tournament lol.
Not meaning to derail the thread here, but what are the reasons that your AD is on shaky ground? Just curious to hear from your side of things. I could see that as an absolutely huge factor in all of this.
histag10
AG
I thought it was handled really well! She was allowed to finish out her contract, and possibly retire at a school she has been for a long time (I assume she will hang it up?) Without having been terminated. She simply fulfilled her duties and is allowed to move onto the next phase of her life, whatever that may be.
AgDad77
AG
I am sorry but yes Snider is a very viable option!!

Is he the FIRST option - NO!!!

But he is a viable option that could and would do very well here.
BleacherBum
AG
Latin, curious to know if you are showing the remaining list because the others would have been named by now and Rocha/TW are still playing or has something come out that they aren't interested? Kenny G has the extension and seems like LA may have said no, but wondering on the others (Deifel in particular).
Astroag
AG
AgDad77 said:

I am sorry but yes Snider is a very viable option!!

Is he the FIRST option - NO!!!

But he is a viable option that could and would do very well here.

Thanks Mrs. Snider…

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
aggiebrad94
AG
As I've aged and gain a smidgen of wisdom, I've come to realize...

There's never a time / place / process to fire someone that will please everyone - particularly the person getting fired.
AgDad77
AG
hahahahah - So Funny and original - LOL
LatinAggie1997
AG
BleacherBum said:

Latin, curious to know if you are showing the remaining list because the others would have been named by now and Rocha/TW are still playing or has something come out that they aren't interested? Kenny G has the extension and seems like LA may have said no, but wondering on the others (Deifel in particular).

I was told we reached out to Deifel and were trying to engage talks. I can't say exactly when that was nor the results.
As far as my sources there has been no official, or rumored, rejection from Walton or Rocha. We also are assuming unofficial talks took place. I was also told that we aren't completely dismissing coached because of extensions. These sources are not from the AD but people I know that are in or were apart of the program.

Just sidebar chats.
AgDad77
AG
Yes
What you are saying is what I am hearing also!
KBAGOLFER
Now for those wondering about me and where I'm getting my info. I'm not being fed anything, but I've been around the game a long time and Looking at what's to come w/ tu and ou additions it's important to think about 1 thing. The answer is leave NO DOUBT on this hire. Again I've said this several times on here I've known of Snider since SFA, top notch dude, good hitting coach, good-great recruiter.
Here's the problem with Snider on the recruiting trail if he's named HC, that dude was part of the problem, how long of a leash does he have, and who wants to give up a big time assistant job to take a position with him. Seeing in 1-2 years and if he struggles he's gone and said assistants are gone too. This is what other universities will use against Snider, fair or not

I just keep coming back to who is not happy or wants to change scenery, Think Mike White at Oregon to tu. Is that TW or are we missing someone, very interesting…
KayakBassAngling
KBAGOLFER
If A&M gets Rocha, y'all should call and get season tickets IMMEDIATELY!!! To those who will say "Why hire this assistant over Snider, she's won like 5 National Titles in the last 10 years as an assistant/associate HC. She's a pitching coach and is entrenched in the top programs pockets recruits
KayakBassAngling
TXAGBQ76
AG
What did they expect? She was allowed to play out her contract- even though she should have been removed a few years ago.
AgDad77
AG
Well I certainly agree with you on one thing - and that is Rocha being a GREAT choice!!!!

Now to those saying that Snider was part of the problem is just absurd and so far off base that it is respectfully just ridiculous!!

Now if you chose to not consider him due to no head coaching experience that is certainly a valid point and certainly as some merits.

But to say and think that he was EVER part of the problem here is just totally ill informed and not even close to being factual!!
KBAGOLFER
AgDad77 said:

Well I certainly agree with you on one thing - and that is Rocha being a GREAT choice!!!!

Now to those saying that Snider was part of the problem is just absurd and so far off base that it is respectfully just ridiculous!!

Now if you chose to not consider him due to no head coaching experience that is certainly a valid point and certainly as some merits.

But to say and think that he was EVER part of the problem here is just totally ill informed and not even close to being factual!!

Remember what I said, this is what other softball coaches will recruit and say, not my opinion, just letting you know what as a coach I've seen happen
KayakBassAngling
LatinAggie1997
AG
Yeah, it is unfortunate. Other recruiters will point out how underwhelming our team performed and that he was an integral part of the staff. All the good sentiments won't mask the on field performance when sitting in a family's living room and asking if they want to be a national champion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.