Softball Coach Update

136,470 Views | 634 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgBQ-00
_mpaul
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
85AustinAg said:

"Alabama Softball Head Coach Patrick Murphy - Extends current term three years to June 30, 2026. His contract is worth $275,000 annually with a Talent Fee in the first year of $200,000 and in his final year of $240,000.Aug 2, 2021"
WTF is a "talent fee"?
12thMan9
AG
_mpaul said:

85AustinAg said:

"Alabama Softball Head Coach Patrick Murphy - Extends current term three years to June 30, 2026. His contract is worth $275,000 annually with a Talent Fee in the first year of $200,000 and in his final year of $240,000.Aug 2, 2021"
WTF is a "talent fee"?
NIL for coaches.
KBAGOLFER
We've got to go def-com right now

No names out unless fake ones, like Young, Snider, Glasco, Anderson
KayakBassAngling
rhp
AG
Maybe we could hear something after they return from the SEC meeting in Destin.
greg.w.h
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

I'm pretty sure our signals counterintelligence is appropriately content free and misdirecting already…
KBAGOLFER
Names discussed here extended
Lonnie
Kenny G
Pat Murphy
KayakBassAngling
SeenNotHeard
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

Lonnie
Kenny G
Pat Murphy

That Murphy extension was old news. Dated 2021
KBAGOLFER
SeenNotHeard said:

KBAGOLFER said:

Lonnie
Kenny G
Pat Murphy

I'm not sure if a new one won't come out, where will see
KayakBassAngling
SeenNotHeard
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

SeenNotHeard said:

KBAGOLFER said:

Lonnie
Kenny G
Pat Murphy

I'm not sure if a new one won't come out, where will see

Guessing you know something?
TXAGBQ76
AG
Top 3 program? If that is true, why did we get rid of Evans?
Aggie*_86
AG
Have enjoyed reading all the intel... don't know who it will be but I'm ready to get it DONE! Last years' freshman class was LOADED and I want to keep them here, need to move.
Positive Yardage
AG
LatinAggie1997 said:

AgDad77 said:

Why - Snider is here and is a Great Fit and an open book - we know him..

He isn't a better recruiter that Snider just as good but not better!

She was a pitcher...a pitching coach (atFl & OU)....assistant HC at two major programs under two accomplished HCs....she has the pedigree and knowledge of what it takes.

Nothing against Snider...good experience at FSU under Alameda but imo, Rocha is closer to a sure thing.

During her tenure FL amd OU had the best pitching staff...mostly her, partly her...no matter, shewas there to see, listen, and experience how it is done.

Rocha would be an absolute grand slam hire. Trace her steps. Walton won big with her, Gasso has as well.

But she isn't leaving OU to come here. And it ain't about the money, it's home. And if Kenny G is biding his time to take a shot at OU when Gasso is done she would be content in being his pitching coach as well.
KBAGOLFER
Kenny just sees it's going to be an absolute cake walk to a Big 12 title, problem is now his RPI is going to stink, and Rocha will get the OU job or Lonnie over him.

He played his cards how he wanted but if I was Ross he'd be the one I'm still going after. Contract extension or not while still going after two highly thought of female coaches and two highly thought of male coaches.

And yay I'm still mad he's not coming here, not going to lie
KayakBassAngling
KBAGOLFER
AgDad77 said:

LONNIE - FOR THE WIN!!!!

LOL

WRONG
KayakBassAngling
_mpaul
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

def-com what? I don't know whether to be completely paranoid for the end of the world, or completely at ease.
BrokenLFarms
S
The Texas A&M job itself is regarded by the top names in D1 Softball coaching circles as being a Top 3 job to go after.

Recent Success on the field not withstanding…
History of the program as a whole + Administration + Resources are a few of the main reasons why.

TXAGBQ76
AG
So if the jobs that are open, we are top three.

When I think of the most successful programs of all time I think of UCLA, OU, Bama, FSU, Arizona, Arizona State, etc.
BrokenLFarms
S
TXAGBQ76 said:

When I think of the most successful programs of all time I think of UCLA, OU, Bama, FSU, Arizona, Arizona State, etc.

"…of all time…"
"…etc…"

Haha

The first only applies to UCLA and Arizona
The rest are RECENT history at best.
One could argue ASU would be in the top tier…maybe

The "etc" is a lazy statement and bogus.

AgDad77
AG
Yep
Was wrong about that!!
LoL

Got a raise out of us
85AustinAg
AG
The Murphy info was to provide an idea of his salary.
85AustinAg
AG
What does this mean?????????? Sounds a bit paranoid.

KBAGOLFER said:

KBAGOLFER
85AustinAg said:

What does this mean?????????? Sounds a bit paranoid.

KBAGOLFER said:

It's a joke to say all names that Latin and I discuss get raises pretty quickly afterwards. It might be better just not to mention any names and let Ross go Stealth mode
KayakBassAngling
TXAGBQ76
AG
You're right, I did not note every single team that has won the championship since Jo has been here- there about ten teams, with several winning multiple years. We last won it in 1987. We've struggled for a long time with folks on this site complaining about the lack of competitiveness for a bunch of years. We now finally have good facilities, but have a ways to go to be considered a great program.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
KBAGOLFER said:

Lonnie
Kenny G
Pat Murphy

Lonnie was extended back in April
sharpdressedman
I found this item about Murphy:

"Alabama Softball coach Patrick Murphy was inducted into the Class of 2022 for the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame on Saturday, May 7. The Crimson Tide's head coach became the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame's first member for the sport of softball."

I would be shocked if he left Bama.

https://www.wbrc.com/2022/05/08/patrick-murphy-first-softball-coach-inducted-alabama-sports-hall-fame/
MaxRelax
AG
I think the Northwestern coach merits consideration. But I don't think she would leave a longtime successful program she established. Plus path to WCWS easier in Big 10 than SEC.
PlanoGuy
Positive Yardage said:

LatinAggie1997 said:

AgDad77 said:

She was a pitcher...a pitching coach (atFl & OU)....assistant HC at two major programs under two accomplished HCs....she has the pedigree and knowledge of what it takes.

Nothing against Snider...good experience at FSU under Alameda but imo, Rocha is closer to a sure thing.

During her tenure FL amd OU had the best pitching staff...mostly her, partly her...no matter, shewas there to see, listen, and experience how it is done.

Rocha would be an absolute grand slam hire. Trace her steps. Walton won big with her, Gasso has as well.

But she isn't leaving OU to come here. And it ain't about the money, it's home. And if Kenny G is biding his time to take a shot at OU when Gasso is done she would be content in being his pitching coach as well.
If offered the A&M HC job, the only way Rocha would stay at OU is if 1) A&M lowballed her 2) she didn't want to be a HC
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
PlanoGuy
BrokenLFarms said:

TXAGBQ76 said:

"…of all time…"
"…etc…"

Haha

The first only applies to UCLA and Arizona
The rest are RECENT history at best.
One could argue ASU would be in the top tier…maybe

The "etc" is a lazy statement and bogus.

OU has been elite in softball for 20+ years. They have 5 WCWS titles during that time
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
Positive Yardage
AG
PlanoGuy said:

Positive Yardage said:

LatinAggie1997 said:

AgDad77 said:

If offered the A&M HC job, the only way Rocha would stay at OU is if 1) A&M lowballed her 2) she didn't want to be a HC

Exactly. And we know when it comes to money A&M is much more likely to teabag than lowball, so you can pretty much figure it out from there.
KBAGOLFER
We are likely to money whip in softball, it's that big of a deal.

Here's what I'd like to see today. Name a HUGE HIRE during the UCLA vs tu game. Then during the next tu game host the press conference, if it's Rocha somehow then that would be awesome. Now, if it's one the 8 still standing head coaches, then if their not in the championship series I announce it right before the 1st game and PC at Noon the next day!
KayakBassAngling
hillcountryag86
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

A&M has to, listen to me, HAS TO have a Head Coach with experience of winning recruiting battles against UCLA, tu,ou,Bama, fl, and the likes. If you can't recruit their LEVEL OF PITCHING IT DOESN'T matter how great the head coach/hitting coach y'all want to keep is. If he was an amazing recruiter as y'all say he is there would've been horses in the barn like the teams I've mentioned.
We couldn't even out recruit Duke, Mizzu, Va Tech, and so on and we've got Scarborough on TV doing big things to help us
I am not advocating for any assistant at all. And I am certainly not trying for an argument. You and others on here are way above me on the world of college softball. But for discussion, sometimes a great assistant will work out. Tennessee baseball coach Tony Vitello is a great example. I think he was the hitting coach at Arkansas when Tennessee hired him for their head coach. They are a powerhouse this year and the favorite to win the CWS.

So, it can be successful. Maybe the odds of an assistant vis-a-vis a proven head coach are not worth taking the chance. And maybe leading a successful softball program is very different from baseball. I don't know.

But, thoughts?
AgDad77
AG
True
And just maybe a great assistant might be more hungry than an established Head Coach who has been around for awhile and might be looking for a RETIREMENT GIG?????
cevans_40
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

KBAGOLFER said:

A&M has to, listen to me, HAS TO have a Head Coach with experience of winning recruiting battles against UCLA, tu,ou,Bama, fl, and the likes. If you can't recruit their LEVEL OF PITCHING IT DOESN'T matter how great the head coach/hitting coach y'all want to keep is. If he was an amazing recruiter as y'all say he is there would've been horses in the barn like the teams I've mentioned.
We couldn't even out recruit Duke, Mizzu, Va Tech, and so on and we've got Scarborough on TV doing big things to help us
I am not advocating for any assistant at all. And I am certainly not trying for an argument. You and others on here are way above me on the world of college softball. But for discussion, sometimes a great assistant will work out. Tennessee baseball coach Tony Vitello is a great example. I think he was the hitting coach at Arkansas when Tennessee hired him for their head coach. They are a powerhouse this year and the favorite to win the CWS.

So, it can be successful. Maybe the odds of an assistant vis-a-vis a proven head coach are not worth taking the chance. And maybe leading a successful softball program is very different from baseball. I don't know.

But, thoughts?

While I agree with this, UT baseball and Texas A&M softball are nowhere close to being the same. We do not have to settle for an assistant coach if we don't want to.
KBAGOLFER
Here's my thoughts on it, Rocha is the assistant of all assistants. Why because she's a pitching coach who has developed one girl after another from FL TO OU. If you're getting an assistant to be a Head Coach he or she HAS TO have been an UNBELIEVABLE Pitching coach or they have the best pitching coach 110% guaranteed with suitcases in their car and lease on a new house in CS to take a non pitching coach as your next coach, if A&M hires an assistant…

Again without naming names
I'd take 2 females and 2 males over Rocha, who'd be the only assistant in America I'd want to hire period
KayakBassAngling
KW02
AG
I agree that "We are likely to money whip in softball" with this coaching hire. Money will be no object if that is the issue with any coach out there.

I thought we were getting Kenny G initially by my guess is that we are getting Walton. Rocha would be a good get if we go after an assistant.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.