Softball Coach Update

136,454 Views | 634 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgBQ-00
Lemmys Rickenbacker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Artimus Gordon said:

In regard to Snider, who knows how good he could be or maybe he is just another like Laura "bird" Kuhn. A ballyhooed assistant, great at recruiting, but as an HC can't keep her recruits and hasn't been anything but mediocre. Do we really want to go down that road again? I don't think so! Too much risk and in three years the program will be what we experienced the last 3 years under Jo.

Elevating assistant coaches is not Bjork MO. We will hire an established head coach.
AgDad77
AG
Um -- i am sorry but there is absolutely no comparing Snyder to Kuhn!!

Snyder is a proven recruiter and hitting coach at the highest level.

The dude has a ring.

Lonnie of course was the number 1 choice and that ain't happening - where do you go now?

The big dogs aren't coming here - they are good where they are.

So please tell me who you would bring in here now -

A decision needs to be made - there are portal kids out there waiting for direction.

He would bring good coaches in here much better than what we were dealing with.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Bjork will have a coach in place with plenty of time for the summer recruiting circuit.

One coach turns us down and we see mass panic. Weird.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
AgDad77 said:

The dude has a ring.

Lonnie of course was the number 1 choice and that ain't happening - where do you go now?

A decision needs to be made - there are portal kids out there waiting for direction.

This is the same the WBB board was saying. No top coaches will come here so we need to elevate KBH.
KBAGOLFER
AgDad77 said:

The dude has a ring.

Love the guy, his name is Snider, not Snyder. He's a great human being and assistant but he needs to be a head coach, this isn't a Georgia situation. They made the WCWS as she was retiring and he was on her staff

It's Young. Walton, Murphy, or UW's coach
KayakBassAngling
fieldtrailer
AG
How about any of the girls that played here? That won a championship. Any applicants?

Or last guess. An assistant from OU. He/she should be able to copy what they do in terms of building a program.
sharpdressedman
AgDad77 said:

Without being able to land Lonnie now - we shot for the moon as we should have - she is one of the Big Dogs along with Walton - Kenny - Murphy.

I dont want to see us settle for a next tier down when we have a possible rising star right here already in Snyder.

He could very well be the next

Lonnie
Walton
Kenny G
Murphy

There is nobody better than him as a hitting coach or a recruiter in the country - some as good but none better!!

The majority of those kids at Florida State he got there.
The talent that we have gotten here - he got here.
We missed on some kids because of the coaching situation that has been here - not because of him.
Our kids love him!!

Just my opinion - LOL
I recall speculation at the time of Snider's hiring that he was lured to A&M with assurances he would be a leading contender to be JE's successor. Then, C19 hit, and the situation turned to mush. It stretched to the point of JE having only one year left on her contract and Bjork not being willing to release her to make way for him, which was consistent with his approach with RC in baseball.

Fast forward through JE's widely known lame duck year and very likely major efforts by Bjork to upgrade from Snider that now appear to be unsuccessful, and the present status of the hire seems unsettled.

Snider may have been the choice all along, absent an unexpected splash hire. However, I don't think settling with a "possible rising star" is what the program presently requires, but Bjork may be out of options. I hope not.

Edit for spelling.

KW02
AG
Quote:

Snider may have been the choice all along, absent an unexpected splash hire. However, I don't think settling with a "possible rising star" is what the program presently requires
I agree with this. I don't see our athletic department going with someone that is an assistant and has never been a head coach at this point. I like Snider and he has made great strides with hitting here. I think he would be fine but would be viewed as a risky hire by the athletic department when it looks back some day if it does not work out. If he is selected as a head coach we need to pay whatever it takes to get the best pitching coach and recruiter we can buy (and need to do that no matter the HC hire).
cevans_40
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

AgDad77 said:

The dude has a ring.

Love the guy, his name is Snider, not Snyder. He's a great human being and assistant but he needs to be a head coach, this isn't a Georgia situation. They made the WCWS as she was retiring and he was on her staff

It's Young. Walton, Murphy, or UW's coach

I don't think these are the final four but if you are correct, I sure hope it's Young.
85AustinAg
AG
Here's some food for thought on the HC search for Softball.

In the past 5 years the following schools have been to the WCWS most. UCLA with 5, OU and Florida with 4, Bama, Arizona, Georgia and UW 3.

Georgia and Arizona have HC who've been there for a year replacing long time HC's. The remaining coaches have been on these staffs from between 15 and 27 years.

Top Assistants for these programs include
Rocha at OU
Fernandez at UCLA
Aric Thomas at UF
Lance Gasoe at UW
Alyson Habetz at Bama
Arizona and Georgia have first year AC
Lemmys Rickenbacker
What are your thoughts on Katlin Lowe at Arizona?
SeenNotHeard
AG
Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

What are your thoughts on Katlin Lowe at Arizona?
She just finished her first year as a HC. She replaced a LEGEND in Mike Candrea. She bleeds Arizona blood. She isn't coming to Texas A&M.
PlanoGuy
85AustinAg said:

Here's some food for thought on the HC search for Softball.

In the past 5 years the following schools have been to the WCWS most. UCLA with 5, OU and Florida with 4, Bama, Arizona, Georgia and UW 3.

OU has been to 6 straight WCWS and won 3 of them with this year pending
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
85AustinAg
AG
You are correct, my bad. Mis read the Wikipedia page.
85AustinAg
AG
I wonder what the story with Alyson Habetz at Bama is. She's been an assistant there for 24 years.
Quote:

"Alyson is a great role model for our players and future recruits," Murphy says. "She is one of the most outstanding people I have met. She was a dream to coach and she is even better to coach with. I think she's the best assistant coach in the country. She has turned down several head coaching jobs already and she keeps getting better and better each year."

HiddenAg2
Although I'm a bit surprised Lonnie eventually turned us down, she has a good thing at FSU for sure and probably got a raise and other assurances as well (facilities upgrades, etc.). But we need to look at this hire through Bjork's eyes. This is a huge hire for him. Arguably the 4th or 5th biggest sport on campus and a sport that A&M has a blue blood history in. If you were Bjork would you roll the dice on any "rising star" assistants that are unproven as head coaches? That is a huge risk when you look at the landscape of SEC softball over the next 5 years. Outside of UCLA and Arizona, all the major powers of the sport will be in the SEC when OU and Texas arrive. We cannot afford to make a mediocre hire and get pegged in the back half of the conference for years. He really has no choice but to make every top coach in the nation say no before moving down a tier to other head coaches like the Arkansas coach. I'd be surprised if every elite coach said no but then again Bjork has had over a year to plan for this and I expect he won't have to go too far down his list to make an elite hire.

And while I agree that Snider is a good coach, he needs to be a proven head coach first before taking on a job as big as the A&M job. Is it possible he could be the best coach in the country in 5 years? Yes. But the downside risk is just too much and we don't need another Bird Kuhn situation either. And you certainly don't give him the job because we are worried about the transfer portal for next year. This is a long term horizon type hire that we have to get right.
greg.w.h
AG
Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

AgDad77 said:

The dude has a ring.

This is the same the WBB board was saying. No top coaches will come here so we need to elevate KBH.
I didn't…
wareagle044
I like Snider. I would support that hire and borderline felt like he was brought here with the intent of giving him the program eventually. Why not now?
greg.w.h
AG
HiddenAg2 said:

Although I'm a bit surprised Lonnie eventually turned us down, she has a good thing at FSU for sure and probably got a raise and other assurances as well (facilities upgrades, etc.). But we need to look at this hire through Bjork's eyes. This is a huge hire for him. Arguably the 4th or 5th biggest sport on campus and a sport that A&M has a blue blood history in. If you were Bjork would you roll the dice on any "rising star" assistants that are unproven as head coaches? That is a huge risk when you look at the landscape of SEC softball over the next 5 years. Outside of UCLA and Arizona, all the major powers of the sport will be in the SEC when OU and Texas arrive. We cannot afford to make a mediocre hire and get pegged in the back half of the conference for years. He really has no choice but to make every top coach in the nation say no before moving down a tier to other head coaches like the Arkansas coach. I'd be surprised if every elite coach said no but then again Bjork has had over a year to plan for this and I expect he won't have to go too far down his list to make an elite hire.

And while I agree that Snider is a good coach, he needs to be a proven head coach first before taking on a job as big as the A&M job. Is it possible he could be the best coach in the country in 5 years? Yes. But the downside risk is just too much and we don't need another Bird Kuhn situation either. And you certainly don't give him the job because we are worried about the transfer portal for next year. This is a long term horizon type hire that we have to get right.
Second biggest women's sport in the nation if not the biggest. He clearly should have worked until he had a deal before letting Jo go. Guessing Jo wouldn't agree to that.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
wareagle044 said:

I like Snider. I would support that hire and borderline felt like he was brought here with the intent of giving him the program eventually. Why not now?

If he was brought here for that reason, that deal left with Woodward. In addition to that, if for example you were able to hire Murphy and he wanted to bring in his own top assistant, he will have that option.
LatinAggie1997
AG
We are too far ahead of other programs in money and facilities, yet far behind in on field success.

The program can not afford to fall further behind. This can not be a coach Fran hire that sets us back 8+ years.

We need a proven recruiter and winner or the high likelihood of it (very few exist).
85AustinAg
AG
Throwing more out there for discussion. Haven't seen Courtney Deifel from Arkansas mentioned but as an up and comer she looks like she's building something at Arkansas with steady improvement by the year. Courtney Deifel
Colt98
AG
How much head coaching experience did coach G have before going to ok st? .
BrokenLFarms
S
She is without a doubt a high priority target. Her resume is not as accomplished as a Lonnie or Tim at this point her trend is up on all levels.
PlanoGuy
Colt98 said:

How much head coaching experience did coach G have before going to ok st? .
zero. He was an assistant at Florida before taking the HC job at OSU.
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
AgDad77
AG
Exactly Colt - He had ZERO!

Some have talked about the Arky coach and the Duke coach?
I take Snider over both of them!!

Just my opinion
Colt98
AG
Just saying... He was brought here for a reason. Heard he has turned down other head jobs over the years. I don't want Walton or Murphy. Big names, yes, but I really don't think we could pull them here. So then you go a notch down and Vtech coach is the guy I'd go after next. Arky and Duke coaches wouldn't be bad. But would they really be much different then hiring one of the top assistants in the game?
AgDad77
AG
I agree!

Isn't Pete up there close to his home area?

He would be very good!! - but can we pull him away from that area?
LatinAggie1997
AG
AgDad77 said:

Exactly Colt - He had ZERO!

Some have talked about the Arky coach and the Duke coach?
I take Snider over both of them!!

Just my opinion

Of we are hiring an assistant...go get Rocha away from OU...it's not even close as assistants go...

Florida under Walton and 4 years under PG.
AgDad77
AG
Why - Snider is here and is a Great Fit and an open book - we know him..

She isn't a better recruiter that Snider just as good but not better!
LatinAggie1997
AG
AgDad77 said:

Why - Snider is here and is a Great Fit and an open book - we know him..

He isn't a better recruiter that Snider just as good but not better!

She was a pitcher...a pitching coach (atFl & OU)....assistant HC at two major programs under two accomplished HCs....she has the pedigree and knowledge of what it takes.

Nothing against Snider...good experience at FSU under Alameda but imo, Rocha is closer to a sure thing.

During her tenure FL amd OU had the best pitching staff...mostly her, partly her...no matter, shewas there to see, listen, and experience how it is done.
AgDad77
AG
Agree - very very good!
Artimus Gordon
AG
How about Lisa Fernandez at UCLA? 25 yr asst. nationally heralded softball player/pitcher, Olympian. Maybe she might want a coaching record of her own. Instead of "helping" the head coach win a 1,000 + games?!
Artimus Gordon
AG
FYI
UCLA w/ asst Fernandez plays tu on Thursday at noon on ESPN
Lemmys Rickenbacker
I don't think Bjork is going to promote an assistant but if he does, you go after the Gasso tree and get Rocha. Then Snider stays in his role.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.