Schloss

27,682 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jkag89
85AustinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Excerpts from the forum on KillerFrogs.com

FWIW, this morning I've got 1 text from a current TCU trustee that says "It's not looking good" and Mr. Jeremy Clark commented on this story at TCU247 effectively confirming he is "seeing the same smoke" everybody else is.I just happened to be sitting in the shade outside the stadium (lower level behind home plate) when he left. He exited away from where all the players families were and if not for a quick exchange with one TCU fan who looked like he knew him and me just happening to be staring in that direction when he walked by literally nobody would have seen him leaving. He got out of there as quick as humanly possible and clearly didn't want to be noticed. I've been in locker rooms for season ending regional losses like that. the head coach is NOT the first guy to leave. NEVER.
Quote:

Over the weekend, a few conversations led me to believe that Schloss and ADJD relationship broke down over the years and he was highly frustrated with the decisions this season around COVID/crowds... I believe/understand ADJD has been trying to reconnect and convince JS to stay for some time, but there has been minimal engagement. As others have commented, Schloss life blew up over the past decade and at times it was "public" in the TCU societal circles and I think, unfortunately, he has scars from that he just wants to forget. Also, he was one of the coaches most vocally frustrated when CDC left... Told many CDC had promised to stay and provide X for Baseball, felt betrayed when he bailed.

Take it or leave it, it's the narrative I'm hearing.
Quote:

There is no money in TCU's donor base for the kind of stadium Schloss wants, anything close to the "Taj Mahal" we built for Gary. You're talking $50mm minimum, we could probably only find half to 75% of that, the rest would be financed, and you know how TCU feels about putting athletics infrastructure on the credit card.

Also, this is the worst timing, as the Board + VBo have slammed on the breaks re: building new stuff and are getting focused on fundraising for the endowment, lowering debt, and getting cost increases to 3% a year. Building a new baseball stadium just doesn't fit in (as I see it).

_mpaul
AG
STCLaggie21 said:

agreed. Need something now!
Why? Does next season start tomorrow?
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
greg.w.h
AG
Who doesn't want hear anything until next spring???
Serious Lee
if thats even half true, might explain why tcu's program has declined a little the last 3-4 years. The whole situation just seems so eerily similar to jimbo fisher. Just hope we dont give schloss a 10 yr deal.
tcufaninpeace
It's not officially announced yet and probably won't be until tomorrow after the games today are over, but Jim Schlossnagle will be the next head baseball coach of Texas A&M. Kirk Sarloos will be promoted to replace Schlossngale. What happens with Mosiello is still up in the air, but he will most likely be following Schloss to College Station.
GoodAg21
Can you go into detail of how you know this? if not it's ok
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Hearing similar. Boss's son is close to the family, student at TCU, and said he coached his last game there this weekend.

Take it for what it's worth.
tcufaninpeace
I don't want to disclose too much
Coby
AG
tcufaninpeace said:

I don't want to disclose too much but I have relations with former players.

Of course just messing with you. I appreciate the posts.
tcufaninpeace
Yeah... was trying to be cautious. haha
ftworthag02
AG
Thanks for the info! I know he will but I hope he reaches out to former A&M players and includes them in the program and activities.
Capt. America
Maroon Elephant
AG
This
GoodAg21

Macarthur
With the transfer rules, wonder if some players will follow Schloss to A&M?
greg.w.h
AG
Macarthur said:

With the transfer rules, wonder if some players will follow Schloss to A&M?
Impossible to predict. But wouldn't surprise me. And comment not specific to Schloss and Texas A&M should that hsppen. Good general question on any coaching move from now on.
85AustinAg
AG
I was curious about recruiting as well. Can't you change your mind, even as a scholarship student up until class starts in the Fall? Or I guess TCU might have to let the player out of their scholarship commitment.
ftworthag02
AG
Wonder how many will transfer from A&M since schloss is such a meany
Farmer1906
AG
I assume plenty will be asked to transfer.
greg.w.h
AG
As I understand it the only leverage a school has for retaining a student who enters the portal is that they no longer are required to fulfill grants in aid commitments. I will note that is an interpretation on my part and might be incorrect.
ftworthag02
AG
Yeah I'm interested to see how many are asked to leave
_mpaul
AG
Dang, TCU was already paying him $1.5 million a year (according to Wikipedia). What are we going to pay him to get him to move?
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
GoodAg21
From premium board: Tcu TOS mod said if he's offered he's gone
powerbelly
AG
_mpaul said:

Dang, TCU was already paying him $1.5 million a year (according to Wikipedia). What are we going to pay him to get him to move?
I bet it ends up being around $1.6MM with some player facility upgrades. He is ready to leave.

sharpdressedman
From the outside, it looks like a very good move for him.

Issues like a broken marriage and potential shunning by former social contacts who side with his former wife, (reported) conflict with the TCU AD, a fresh start at a highly-regarded, well-funded program, and a pay raise seem a powerful combination of factors to induce his accepting an A&M offer.
Son_of_a_Coach
85AustinAg said:

Quote:

Excerpts from the forum on KillerFrogs.com

FWIW, this morning I've got 1 text from a current TCU trustee that says "It's not looking good" and Mr. Jeremy Clark commented on this story at TCU247 effectively confirming he is "seeing the same smoke" everybody else is.I just happened to be sitting in the shade outside the stadium (lower level behind home plate) when he left. He exited away from where all the players families were and if not for a quick exchange with one TCU fan who looked like he knew him and me just happening to be staring in that direction when he walked by literally nobody would have seen him leaving. He got out of there as quick as humanly possible and clearly didn't want to be noticed. I've been in locker rooms for season ending regional losses like that. the head coach is NOT the first guy to leave. NEVER.
Quote:

Over the weekend, a few conversations led me to believe that Schloss and ADJD relationship broke down over the years and he was highly frustrated with the decisions this season around COVID/crowds... I believe/understand ADJD has been trying to reconnect and convince JS to stay for some time, but there has been minimal engagement. As others have commented, Schloss life blew up over the past decade and at times it was "public" in the TCU societal circles and I think, unfortunately, he has scars from that he just wants to forget. Also, he was one of the coaches most vocally frustrated when CDC left... Told many CDC had promised to stay and provide X for Baseball, felt betrayed when he bailed.

Take it or leave it, it's the narrative I'm hearing.
Quote:

There is no money in TCU's donor base for the kind of stadium Schloss wants, anything close to the "Taj Mahal" we built for Gary. You're talking $50mm minimum, we could probably only find half to 75% of that, the rest would be financed, and you know how TCU feels about putting athletics infrastructure on the credit card.

Also, this is the worst timing, as the Board + VBo have slammed on the breaks re: building new stuff and are getting focused on fundraising for the endowment, lowering debt, and getting cost increases to 3% a year. Building a new baseball stadium just doesn't fit in (as I see it).

Wait they built a "Taj Mahal" for Gary P. and Football? When are they going to unveil it?
swimmerbabe11
congrats on getting Schloss. I hope he does well at A&M.
twk
AG
One thing regarding facilities, I didn't recall this from my only trip to Lupton, but the fan facilities really are lacking. For example, they only have six urinals in the place. If you noticed from some of the centerfield shots, they had to block off a bunch of seats in the upper deck behind home plate (best seats in the house because they have shade) in order to have a high home plate camera platform. I don't know much of anything about the player facilities, but I suspect that those may need some upgrades as well. The TCU fans on killerfrogs were debating about whether it would be more practical to demo Lupton and build new--probably would be a sound strategy, but expensive.

At any rate, one good thing that I hope comes out of this for us is that the new coach requires A&M to have a plan for addressing all our facility issues. We need to bring Olsen up to standards--all the tech bells and whistles for the players, more reserved seating capacity, permanent outfield seating in right, and probably some more premium seating.
Maroon Elephant
AG
If your baseball stadium isn't a solid concrete structure (at least the main part) then you aren't committed to baseball. Schloss had to be pissed going to all those CWS while football got a brand new, state of the art stadium. Meanwhile TCU baseball plays in a metal, erector-set hodge podge structure. He's not recruiting against OU and UTA for talent, he's recruiting against Texas, LSU, Miss State, Vandy and Florida. I suspect that over the last four seasons he's lost some talent based on facility comparison with those programs and ours.

And, yes, I'm aware that Vandy's stadium is nothing special but their other baseball facilities are great.
ftworthag02
AG
Lupton is a piece of junk. If I remember correctly, only 2 sets of bathrooms (1st & 3rd base) (mens room only has about 5 urinals and maybe 5 toilets), the concession stands are a complete joke, don't get me started on the suites. 5 years ago they completed the new locker room, coaches offices, and training room for $7 mil. By the looks of it I'm thinking the locker room, coaches offices are smaller than the majority of SEC stadiums, disch falk, and osu's new stadium
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Lupton is like Dan Law in Lubbock, it looks decent and the capacity is decent, but most of it is bleachers (the kind that are fully closed i.e. like stairs or concrete stands). The player facilities are good, but the stadium is nothing special, not nearly as nice as Olsen Field.

Schloss would be focused on player facilities, not the stadium itself. I do think we should retro the LF berm to permanent seats, then in right field I would rather not have the stands but a terrace/berm/outfield area.

Really A&M could dramatically change the vibe of Olsen Field if we replaced the outfield wall between left field and the batters eye and the batters eye to the visiting bullpen with a see-through outfield all as they have at Florida ballpark and tcu's stadium in right field (representative pics below). It would not matter to me if that was part of the actual stadium or just allowed for fans to set up and watch the game and grill, have coolers, etc. My guess is the AD would want it to be part of the actual stadium to capture revenue and attendance $$. Either way, this could immediately foster an outfield presence and seating/fans area. The bulk of Olsen is very nice. Upgrade the player facilities, make the left field berm permanent seats, and do something like the below to get an outfield are going and you have a really good college baseball stadium and atmosphere IMHO.

85AustinAg
AG
How does the see through outfield wall improve improve the stadium or atmosphere? Do you pay to enter these areas and then watch the game through the fence?
twk
AG
85AustinAg said:

How does the see through outfield wall improve improve the stadium or atmosphere? Do you pay to enter these areas and then watch the game through the fence?
Those have to be paid admissions areas in the NCAA post season. No freebies allowed.

I don't really see the attraction, other than perhaps being some place where you can bring a lawn chair. Frankly, I think we're going to build some kind of permanent bleacher seating in right as a result of the covid-induced temporary bleachers in that area this season.
BQ_90
AG
we have the green monster now because it was said that the traffic and back ground buildings distracted the hitting. I think Rob changed it so it wasn't green monster to have to clear the top for a HR.

I don't see that changing at all.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
We don't have a green monster, we have a batters eye.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.