Schlossnagle?

58,009 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by AggiePetro07
85AustinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it true that this is the last year of his contract? I can't find confirmation anywhere online. Is this the reason there is some optimism that there may be mutual interest in his coaching here? As much as he makes I find it odd that his name is mentioned so much as a possible replacement. We'd have to pay him $1.5 mil +. Anybody got any insight?
twk
AG
I've not heard anything about his contract situation at TCU, but I would highly doubt that he is in the last year of his contract--that's generally tantamount to an ultimatum.

What we do know about Schlossnagle is that he's going through a divorce and his house (close enough to the TCU ballpark that he commutes to work in a golf cart) is for sale, so he might be looking for a change of scenery (note: the divorce filing is public record and the house is listed on Zillow).
85AustinAg
AG
His latest raise and extension looks like it was in 2016 when he was extended beyond 2020 but it doesn't say how long.
Dominion Caracas Branch

Quote:

What we do know about Schlossnagle is that he's going through a divorce and his house (close enough to the TCU ballpark that he commutes to work in a golf cart) is for sale, so he might be looking for a change of scenery (note: the divorce filing is public record and the house is listed on Zillow).
You know who else had just gotten over a bad divorce when we hired him.
Ag 11
AG
You can see the golf cart in the driveway
twk
AG
Dominion Caracas Branch said:

Quote:

You know who else had just gotten over a bad divorce when we hired him.
I'm not saying the divorce, in and of itself is a bad thing (especially in Jimbo's case where he was not the one at fault). Wanting a new situation can motivate some folks.
Farmer1906
AG
I believe he signed a 6-year deal after 2016. So he should be under contract next year. I would imagine TCU is trying to extend him as long as he's willing. Almost no one ever going into the final year of their deal.
W
AG
Schloss will get a phone call no doubt.

after 17 years at TCU...he might indeed be ready for a change
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Ag 11 said:

You can see the golf cart in the driveway

Haha, found this with ease thanks to the golf cart comment. Maybe he's ready for new beginnings in CS.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Check for Christmas trees in Schloss's front yard.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Rooster4Ag
AG
Schloss would be a fantastic hire
What have ye done to surpass man?
hunter2012
AG
Another reason why I want to hire Schloss is to money back hand the frogs. The fort worth supers showed me how arrogant and haughty that fan-base was(undeserving too). Snatching their coach away would be a proper b*tch slap.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I'd much rather we made the call to Tadlock before Schlossnagle if we were getting a Big 12 coach.
drthoop
AG
I'm not a big fan of Schloss. I think a lot of his recent success is due to Sarloos. We can do better. Vitello or McConnell are two that spring to mind first.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
Farmer1906
AG
drthoop said:

I'm not a big fan of Schloss. I think a lot of his recent success is due to Sarloos. We can do better. Vitello or McConnell are two that spring to mind first.
Who says we can't get Saarloos too? Unless TCU offers him the head spot, why wouldn't he come too?

I assume you meant McDonnell. He's pretty damn elite. Much similar to Schloss.

Vitello looks like he's did everything right as an assistant and is now building UT, but he's proven very little compared to the rest. I still think it'd be a strong hire.
drthoop
AG
Farmer1906 said:

drthoop said:

Who says we can't get Saarloos too? Unless TCU offers him the head spot, why wouldn't he come too?

I assume you meant McDonnell. He's pretty damn elite. Much similar to Schloss.

Vitello looks like he's doing everything write as an assistant and building UT, but he's proven very little compared to the rest. I still think it'd be a strong hire.
Yeah, McDonnell. Fat fingers will mess you up every time.

Vitello is the head coach at Tennessee not an assistant.

I don't think Sarloos makes a lateral move at this point in his career. He won't come here as an assistant. Just my opinion of course.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Vitello isn't an assistant. Winning in the SEC proves a lot.

Tech is the best program in the Big 12 currently. TCU finished with sub .500 records in the Big 12 the last two seasons.

Schloss is good. I'd prefer Tadlock.
drthoop
AG
And Vitello's salary is less that $500,000 I think.
Farmer1906
AG
I am well aware he's not an assistant. Let me clarify. He did everything right as an assistant at Arkansas & TCU and is now as the HC building UT up.

But my point still stands. He's made zero postseason so far thanks to the Covid year and this year not being over. That is unproven when you compare his to the other options.
Dominion Caracas Branch
Farmer1906 said:

I am well aware he's not an assistant. Let me clarify. He did everything right as an assistant at Arkansas & TCU and is now as the HC building UT up.

But my point still stands. He's made zero postseason so far thanks to the Covid year and this year not being over. That is unproven when you compare his to the other options.

I thought he made a regional his second year.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Dominion Caracas Branch said:

Farmer1906 said:

I thought he made a regional his second year.
2019 Tennessee made the Chapel Hill Regional went 2-2
Luke The Drifter
AG
The turnaround alone he's made at Tennessee is pretty darned good. Not sure if you're familiar with the history of the program, but they were pretty awful before he arrived.

Before leading UT to a regional in 2019, Tennessee had not been in the post-season since 2005. Also, before he arrived, Tennessee had only been to the post-season 9 times in program history.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
ftworthag02
AG
Y'all are smoking crack if you think schloss would come to A&M. He's got it too good at tcu, similar to GP.
1. Top 5 contract in the country.
2. If he needs improvements, he gets it.
3. Lives just down the street from Lupton
4. His pitching coach is one of the top assistants in the country and he recruits the entire country
5. Has support from his previous players like Matt Carpenter and Jake Arrieta that come back every year for the alumni game
6. No pressure from tcu athletic department or alumni.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Yet twice Gary Patterson behind closed doors has wanted and expressed Interest in the TAMU job...
ftworthag02
AG
where did you hear that?
drthoop
AG
And his house right down the street is up for sale due to a pending divorce.
ftworthag02
AG
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3728-Bellaire-Dr-N-Fort-Worth-TX-76109/28928330_zpid/

You are correct
TxA&Mhunter
AG
It doesn't really matter since he was not offer the job either time.
Luke The Drifter
AG
There's a reason Gary Patterson is still coaching at TCU and not elsewhere...and the reason isn't "He really loves the school and the situation he has there."

No coach is so loyal to a school that he wouldn't leave for more money, more resources, more security, etc., etc., etc. Back in the day this stuff happened (ref. - RC Slocum), but not today. If Ohio State, or Alabama, or Clemson, or Oregon, or Notre Dame, or even Texas wanted Gary Patterson, he's be on the next plane outta Ft. Worth.

Faustus
Schloss flirted with Miss. St. in 2018.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article212061774.html

Quote:

Don't blame Schloss if he leaves TCU

Jim Schlossnagle drives a golf cart to work, makes plenty of money, owns a lake house, is good friends with the manager of the Texas Rangers, and can do pretty much whatever he wants as the head baseball coach of one of the better programs in a power conference.
. . .
Despite every reason to stay, he's not ruling out leaving TCU for Mississippi State for a reason. Or reasons. And the reason is not cash ... although it's funny how often that helps.

Schloss' leaving TCU for Starkville and Mississippi State is the equivalent of former TCU women's basketball coach Jeff Mittie leaving for Manhattan and Kansas State; in those respective college-centric communities, those sports generate more pop, interest and eyeballs.

There is always tremendous pull to a job that is the only show in town.

"At this particular time, I just have decided to listen to what they have to say," Schlossnagle said via text on Monday, after his team learned it would not be in the NCAA Tournament.

TCU administrators are unsure if Schloss will remain in Fort Worth, because while it will promise certain upgrades it knows it can't fundamentally change what it is.

TCU is a small, private school in a sprawling, metropolitan area flush with other things to do. Mississippi State is a state school located in a town of 25,000, where there isn't as much to do.

As a head coach of a team at a pricey private school, Schloss has to be far more creative in recruiting players to his team, and to cover the considerable costs of scholarships. As TCU, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Rice, Baylor and a few others have repeatedly demonstrated, winning college baseball games at a private school is doable; since 2000, three NCAA baseball champions were private schools.

Schloss and the rest have done it, but it's a bit harder at TCU than, say, Texas. Or Oregon State. Or Mississippi State.

Both TCU and MSU have dumped millions and millions into their college baseball programs, and both are good enough to make a run at the College World Series on a consistent basis.

(BTW: Mississippi State has never won a national title.)

MSU is undergoing a $55 million renovation of its stadium that figures to reset the new standard in college baseball venues. It's in the SEC, and the Bulldogs averaged 6,049 fans at home this season.

TCU averaged 4,442 at Lupton Stadium in 2018.
Keeping Schloss at TCU will be the first true test for new athletic director Jeremiah Donati.

Schloss' leaving is not about trying to find more money; he has said that, and believe him. But he should not be above using another job offer as leverage for a few things he wants.
. . .
Sandman98
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Y'all are smoking crack if you think schloss would come to A&M. He's got it too good at tcu, similar to GP.
1. Top 5 contract in the country.
2. If he needs improvements, he gets it.
3. Lives just down the street from Lupton
4. His pitching coach is one of the top assistants in the country and he recruits the entire country
5. Has support from his previous players like Matt Carpenter and Jake Arrieta that come back every year for the alumni game
6. No pressure from tcu athletic department or alumni.

Long list that doesn't include the #1 reason.
Spyderman
AG
Tad Mania...its coming
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
chick79
AG
If he does come to Aggieland I hope he gets a different interior decorator.
W
AG
strangely enough...my biggest concern with Schlossnagle...is how much fire is left in the belly (so to speak).

he's already making $1.5 MM per year.

he had a great stretch of teams from 2014 to 2017, but nothing since.

and there are no Kansas States, Kansases, West Virginias, Baylors, and Oklahomas in the SEC...much less the SEC West
W
AG
case in point...this year's TCU team has a gaudy 27-9 record and RPI #5 ranking.

but when you actually dive into their schedule and results...it's misleading.

the Frogs lost 2 of 3 to SEC teams in the opening weekend tournament. Then lost 2 of 3 to Gonzaga.

but here comes Big 12 play, and they sweep OU and BU --- teams that A&M beat easily.

and suddenly the Frogs' W-L & RPI look very good

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.