Schlossnagle?

58,022 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by AggiePetro07
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

case in point...this year's TCU team has a gaudy 27-9 record and RPI #5 ranking.

but when you actually dive into their schedule and results...it's misleading.

the Frogs lost 2 of 3 to SEC teams in the opening weekend tournament. Then lost 2 of 3 to Gonzaga.

but here comes Big 12 play, and they sweep OU and BU --- teams that A&M beat easily.

and suddenly the Frogs' W-L & RPI look very good
There's a lot to sort out RPI wise. It's a weird year. Gonzaga is #24.

But you're also cherry picking around their schedule.
chick79
AG
I actually agree. I think we can do better than Shosnaggle.
Luke The Drifter
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

W said:

case in point...this year's TCU team has a gaudy 27-9 record and RPI #5 ranking.

but when you actually dive into their schedule and results...it's misleading.

the Frogs lost 2 of 3 to SEC teams in the opening weekend tournament. Then lost 2 of 3 to Gonzaga.

but here comes Big 12 play, and they sweep OU and BU --- teams that A&M beat easily.

and suddenly the Frogs' W-L & RPI look very good
There's a lot to sort out RPI wise. It's a weird year. Gonzaga is #24.

But you're also cherry picking around their schedule.

I don't know what is to cherry pick about the schedule. Most of the best teams they've played - Ole Miss, Arkansas, Gonzaga, and Texas Tech - all handled TCU fairly easily. 6 of their 9 losses have come to the toughest teams on their schedule. The other two losses came to ULL (RPI 62) on the road, Sam Houston (RPI 95) on a neutral field and a run-rule loss to Texas State (RPI 207) in San Marcos.

They do have a single neutral site win over MSU and a home sweep of oSu to bolster their resume. Their upcoming schedule includes 3 at home vs. Kansas, 1 at UT-Arlington, 3 at WVU, and 1 at home vs. Incarnate Word before they face the Horns at home the first weekend of May. TCU's record will continue to get even more gaudy before the 'sips come to town.

And then, after their series vs. Texas, they play home games vs. UT-RGV, UL-Monroe (x3), and Texas State, before ending the season at Kansas State (x3). Look for TCU to finish with a solid RPI number and push for a national seed this year...all while posting exactly one (1) decent weekend series win (oSu).

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Luke The Drifter
AG
TCU worked the RPI system masterfully this year, whether they intended to do so or not. The Frogs left home 3 weekends during non-conference play:
  • Globe Life Tourney in Arlington vs. Ole Miss, MSU, and Arkansas
  • Shriners Classic in Houston vs. A&M-Corpus, Texas State, and Sam Houston
  • 3 games at UL-Lafayette

Granted, the games in Houston were all against duds, but the RPI loves it when you play games away from home. Throw in mid-week games at Texas State, at UTSA, at UT-Arlington, at Tarleton, and another upcoming game at UT-Arlington and suddenly you have an RPI darling.

Contrast to A&M's non-conference schedule away from Olsen:
  • Round Rock Classic vs. Baylor, OU, and Auburn
  • at Houston
  • at Sam Houston
  • at Texas State
  • at UT-Arlington (upcoming)

TCU played 6 neutral site games and 8 true road games in the non-conference. A&M played 3 neutral and 4 on the road. Besides the fact the Ags aren't any good this year, we crippled ourselves with our scheduling tactics. So much went wrong for A&M this year on so many levels.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
ftworthag02 said:

and he recruits the entire country

How does he do in Nebraska?
TempleAg97
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

TCU worked the RPI system masterfully this year, whether they intended to do so or not. The Frogs left home 3 weekends during non-conference play:
  • Globe Life Tourney in Arlington vs. Ole Miss, MSU, and Arkansas
  • Shriners Classic in Houston vs. A&M-Corpus, Texas State, and Sam Houston
  • 3 games at UL-Lafayette

Granted, the games in Houston were all against duds, but the RPI loves it when you play games away from home. Throw in mid-week games at Texas State, at UTSA, at UT-Arlington, at Tarleton, and another upcoming game at UT-Arlington and suddenly you have an RPI darling.

Contrast to A&M's non-conference schedule away from Olsen:
  • Round Rock Classic vs. Baylor, OU, and Auburn
  • at Houston
  • at Sam Houston
  • at Texas State
  • at UT-Arlington (upcoming)

TCU played 6 neutral site games and 8 true road games in the non-conference. A&M played 3 neutral and 4 on the road. Besides the fact the Ags aren't any good this year, we crippled ourselves with our scheduling tactics. So much went wrong for A&M this year on so many levels.

I love this post because I think it starts to get to the heart of something important. The head coach is super important of course in getting us where we want to consistently be (Omaha), but there are other huge factors we need to get way better at like becoming masters of playing the RPI game, using analytics and scouting better, and a moving to the front of the line in facilities like we did with Kyle Field.

Of course, the right head coach could make all this happen.
Spyderman
AG
No doubt. I sense we may be turning some really good candidates away. IMO, this will be one of THOSE type openings.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Hop
Staff
AG
ftworthag02 said:

Y'all are smoking crack if you think schloss would come to A&M. He's got it too good at tcu, similar to GP.
1. Top 5 contract in the country.
2. If he needs improvements, he gets it.
3. Lives just down the street from Lupton
4. His pitching coach is one of the top assistants in the country and he recruits the entire country
5. Has support from his previous players like Matt Carpenter and Jake Arrieta that come back every year for the alumni game
6. No pressure from tcu athletic department or alumni.

Then pass the crack pipe. Schlossnagle, Tadlock, and Vitelli among others will be very interested in the A&M job.
85AustinAg
AG
To me this means we are willing to spend some serious cash to get a good one. Great to hear.
agfan2332
I'll treat Hop and Gabe to dinner at whichever steakhouse they want if Tim Tadlock becomes the coach at A&M.
Spyderman
AG
Going to be one of more interesting coaching "searches"/hires for A&M. Get er popcorn..
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
drthoop
AG
Hop said:

ftworthag02 said:

Y'all are smoking crack if you think schloss would come to A&M. He's got it too good at tcu, similar to GP.
4. His pitching coach is one of the top assistants in the country and he recruits the entire country
5. Has support from his previous players like Matt Carpenter and Jake Arrieta that come back every year for the alumni game

Then pass the crack pipe. Schlossnagle, Tadlock, and Vitelli among others will be very interested in the A&M job.

Vitello or Tadlock yes. Schlossnagle no.
I'd also like to see us look at McDonnell too.

Just my 0.02. I have never liked Schloss.
Don't get me wrong if he is our pick, I'll be 100% supportive. Just not who I'd like to have.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
cypress-ag
AG
Hard pass on Schlossnagle. His age (50) and the fact he's built his record on weak opponents makes me wary of his desire to complete. Plus his 1.5 M salary at TCU is crazy high for a coach that has ZERO CWS trophies.

Tadlock or Vitello and that's after we offer Tim Corbin.
Hop
Staff
AG
cypress-ag said:

Hard pass on Schlossnagle. His age (50) and the fact he's built his record on weak opponents makes me wary of his desire to complete. Plus his 1.5 M salary at TCU is crazy high for a coach that has ZERO CWS trophies.

Tadlock or Vitello and that's after we offer Tim Corbin.

Tech and TCU play roughly the same schedules.
BoerneGator
AG
Good job pointing out Schloss's glaring Achilles' Heel. I too believe we would be better served by the up and comer in Knoxville.
Farmer1906
AG
Hop, you've gotten my expectation up. Like way way up. They are not being managed. If we end up with someone like Hefner (not a bad hire) I am going to be so disappointed.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Hop said:

ftworthag02 said:

Well sure, they'll be *interested* in the job...but will they *actually* take the job? Remember all of the pay raises we created around the country before we hired Childress? How many coaches feigned interest in the A&M job before ultimately signing an extension - with a higher salary? If Tadlock and Schloss were smart, they'd start leaking info that A&M is calling and they're willing to listen. They could break the bank in Lubbock and Ft. Worth if they play their cards right.

twk
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Hop said:

ftworthag02 said:

Well sure, they'll be *interested* in the job...but will they *actually* take the job? Remember all of the pay raises we created around the country before we hired Childress? How many coaches feigned interest in the A&M job before ultimately signing an extension - with a higher salary? If Tadlock and Schloss were smart, they'd start leaking info that A&M is calling and they're willing to listen. They could break the bank in Lubbock and Ft. Worth if they play their cards right.
This, particularly as it relates to Tadlock. We'd have to offer him over $1.5 million just to get him to talk, and given what happened with basketball, I think Tech would match anything we offer. Unless he really wants out of there (like, say his wife hated Lubbock), I have a hard time seeing Tadlock actually coming to A&M. Schlossnagle might be a different story, as he has reasons to want a change of scenery, but I think I'd rather have Vitello than Schloss.
Luke The Drifter
AG
twk said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Hop said:

ftworthag02 said:

This, particularly as it relates to Tadlock. We'd have to offer him over $1.5 million just to get him to talk, and given what happened with basketball, I think Tech would match anything we offer. Unless he really wants out of there (like, say his wife hated Lubbock), I have a hard time seeing Tadlock actually coming to A&M. Schlossnagle might be a different story, as he has reasons to want a change of scenery, but I think I'd rather have Vitello than Schloss.

Yep, at some point Tech is going to get tired of getting burned. They fired Kingsbury...only to see him become an NFL OC (briefly) then the Cardinals head coach. And their football coach before that used Tech as a stepping stone job to ... wait for it ... Cincinnati. They had their dream basketball coach in Beard...only to see their hated rivals steal him away. Now they have a stud baseball coach that their other hated rival might be eyeing. Do they let another coach get out of Lubbock for greener pastures? Seems like Tadlock may be where they draw the line in the proverbial - and actual - sand.

chick79
AG
We're all assuming Childress is fired. We don't know if this will happen. He may turn things around the rest of the season and buy himself another year. I want a change but it's not a guarantee at this point.
drthoop
AG
He won't be fired. He's just not being renewed.
cypress-ag
AG
chick79 said:

We're all assuming Childress is fired. We don't know if this will happen. He may turn things around the rest of the season and buy himself another year. I want a change but it's not a guarantee at this point.
If he's renewed I'll be hard pressed to support Aggie Baseball or the athletic department again. It'll be time for Bjork to go if he's not fired.
twk
AG
chick79 said:

A one year extension would be highly unlikely. He needs to do well enough to earn a multi-year extension, and that train has probably left the station.
Farmer1906
AG
chick79 said:

I think it's a pretty safe assumption. What are the odds we turn it around enough to make a run to Omaha? A million to 1?
Lance Uppercut
AG
I also hold a good grudge. During one of those super regional games Hendrix was sitting people down in order and Schlossnagle had the umps come out and check his glove. That's bush league nonsense.
drthoop
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

I also hold a good grudge. During one of those super regional games Hendrix was sitting people down in order and Schlossnagle had the umps come out and check his glove. That's bush league nonsense.
Damn, I had forgotten about that. It was truly bush league. As I've said, I'm not a fan of Schloss and will really be disappointed if he ends up here.
TXAggie2011
AG
During TCU's last run to the CWS (2017), they swept LSU, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss at the Minute Maid tournament, and then went 2-3 against the SEC in Omaha against Florida and A&M.

In other words, they split a 6 games season series with the National Champion and National Runner Up, beat another CWS participant twice (A&M ), and also took care of another SEC west team.

Obviously, in 2016 and 2015 they eliminated A&M in the Super Regional . In 2015, they twice beat the SEC Champion LSU in Omaha, although were twice beaten by national runner up Vanderbilt. TCU earlier beat Vanderbilt in the Dodger Stadium tournament.

Like, I know folks want to take shots at the Big 12 and say TCU built their runs on a weak schedule, but every time TCU ended up on the field with SEC teams during their (many) runs---at home, away, and neutral sites---they've held up very well.
drthoop
AG
I'm not taking shots at TCU or Schloss. I just don't like him.
trouble
AG
I'd definitely prefer vitello over schloss. Like Hoopy, I just don't like him.
trouble
AG
I have also not forgotten this
Luke The Drifter
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

On a semi-related note, Hendrix was called up to the majors today by the Reds.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

Our current trajectory says he will not be renewed. I think that's what folks including myself see. He'd have to make a miracle turnaround to save his job IMO.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Watching Vandy and MS ST, why not go after Corbin? Hey, dream big like we did for Jimbo! Corbin bandwagon, who's game?
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
twk
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Watching Vandy and MS ST, why not go after Corbin? Hey, dream big like we did for Jimbo! Corbin bandwagon, who's game?
Why not Corbin? Because he wouldn't get to take his unlimited pool of scholarship money with him. Vandy basically plays by a different set of rules. With their endowment, all but the wealthiest students are on academic scholarship of some kind, which means that any baseball prospect who can get into school will get a big financial aid package, which allows them to use their scholarship money to top off the bill for their top prospects. Corbin might be the best coach in the game, but it's hard to say given that the playing field is not at all level.
Mark Fairchild
AG
I am aware of his deal at Vandy; however, Schloss has the same deal at TCU and he's being discussed. I am not privy of how a deal could be worked out for him to come, but I would like to see us "swing for the fences"!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.