Story Poster
Photo by Mason Pruitt
Texas A&M Baseball

Aggies lead Brazos Valley Bombers to Texas Collegiate League title

August 9, 2020

The Brazos Valley Bombers left no doubt about their superiority in the Texas Collegiate League, cruising to a 13-2 Saturday evening win over the Tulsa Drillers behind contributions of several Aggie players. 

The Bombers dominated from the beginning to capture their seventh title in the past eight seasons. Aggies Austin Bost and Logan Sartori both homered in the championship game, and Sartori and Bryce Blaum drove in two runs each.

“To be able to be one of the only summer collegiate leagues to finish, and have the Bombers come out on top, it feels like you’re the king of the world,” Bombers head coach James Dillard said. “What separates the Bombers from other organizations is the ability to establish a culture that these guys feel comfortable in.”

After a scoreless first inning, the Bombers notched six runs in the bottom of the second thanks to a series of walks and wild pitches. Sartori, Mikey Hoehner, Bost and Blaum each scored even though the Bombers didn’t register a single hit in the inning. 

Blaum, the Bombers third baseman who was hit by a pitch in the wild second, suggested the tactic might carry over to A&M’s 2021 campaign. 

“A wise word from coach Childress, we’re going to lead the league in hit by pitches next year,” Blaum said. “Just find a way to get on base to give the next man up an opportunity to bring you home.” 

The onslaught continued for Brazos Valley in the bottom of the third as they tacked on an additional four runs. Blaum helped extend the lead with a bases-loaded infield single after falling behind in the count, 0-2.

Heading into the bottom of the fourth, the Bombers had piled up 10 runs despite only totaling two hits. Austin Bost, who was in the lineup as the designated hitter, added to the scoring in a more traditional way, launching a solo shot to left field.

“He threw me his favorite pitch and I put a good swing on it,” Bost said after finishing the game with two hits and an RBI, capping an impressive TCL season.

Sartori later capped the Bombers’ scoring with a two-run homer, increasing the lead to 13-2. 

“He threw his slider and I caught it real good,” Sartori, who followed the long ball with a notable bat flip, explained. “I was feeling good at the time, and I wanted to show emotion to get my teammates hyped up.”

Aggies scored 9 of the Bombers’ 13 runs en route to the TCL title game win. Blaum, Sartori and Hoehner all crossed home twice, while Bost led the team with three runs. Eight A&M players were on the Bombers’ roster this summer.

“A&M will have a leg up on everybody having all these guys that got the experience to play summer baseball,” Dillard said. “A&M is traditionally going to be tough, and I don't expect next season to be any different.”

After the disappointment of an interrupted 2020 season, the Aggies playing for the Bombers were clearly happy to be back on the diamond and also excited about returning to Olsen Field. 

“We’ve had all the pieces to make a championship,” Sartori said, “and we’re bringing a lot of guys back to do something special next year.”

Bost noted the benefit of several teammates playing together over the summer.

“The camaraderie just got even stronger than before, and we are going to be a team to be reckoned with.” 

Blaum concurred. “This championship speaks volumes to the talent we have, winning a championship of this caliber,” he said. “Our locker room is going to be electric next year, and I’m so excited to be a part of it.”

Discussion from...

Aggies lead Brazos Valley Bombers to Texas Collegiate League title

5,045 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rrtodds
96ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Considering half of Tulsa's staff had already left, it is kind of silly to brag about that "big" win.
rrtodds
AG
Every party needs pooper ... 96ags is available if you need one!
96ags
AG
rrtodds said:

I was at the game, were you?
rrtodds
AG
96ags said:

rrtodds said:

I was at the game, were you?
No, in Southfork, Co where it's currently a rain and wind chilled 55* ... dropped from mid afternoon 73*.

Bad time for a Tulsa to lose so many players, but they handled top seed Amarillo in the best of three.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.